Final word on the Monterey headrest issue?

ADS

tiggercat

I think it ended with them saying RTFM (wait, we mean read the stickers) over and over until it makes sense.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Given that many of us aren't on G+ and barely even know what that is, it's safe to say that I'll be following my Monterey manual and going by any changes that I get IN WRITING from Diono to me.

So for the headrest, I am going by the manual and not worrying about whether there is a vehicle head rest behind the high back portion.

And for the shoulder belt guides, I am choosing not to use them as I have assurance in writing from Allana that their engineers have ok'd this as long as the belt fit is good without. (She also assures me this is going on their 'Safety' page of the website, haven't seen it yet.)

tiggercat

CTPDMom said:
Given that many of us aren't on G+ and barely even know what that is, it's safe to say that I'll be following my Monterey manual and going by any changes that I get IN WRITING from Diono to me.

So for the headrest, I am going by the manual and not worrying about whether there is a vehicle head rest behind the high back portion.

And for the shoulder belt guides, I am choosing not to use them as I have assurance in writing from Allana that their engineers have ok'd this as long as the belt fit is good without. (She also assures me this is going on their 'Safety' page of the website, haven't seen it yet.)

But the stickers say you need a headrest. Unless of course the stickers have fallen off :p

ginny4

i'm completely ignoring all of the "headrest issue" til i hear official word in writing in my mailbox. I feel confident that my children were/are safe in the seat with or without vehicle head support.

BTW my stickers are gone! I have the original Sunshine kids version if it makes any difference at all which i don't think it does

NannyMom

CTPDMom said:
Mine is brand new, and there are no stickers that I saw that say that.

That's what I thought too, until it was pointed out to me. I don't remember exactly what it said, but I remember it being tricky

tiggercat

CTPDMom said:
Mine is brand new, and there are no stickers that I saw that say that.

Did you check the sides of the backless portion? It says something to the effect of "when used with or without back, vehicle headrest is required to the tips of the ears". Diono insists this means that it always requires vehicle head support.
I am guessing on which thumbnail is the right one, this may or may not be the right sticker. Lol

Last edited:

Brianna

"and whose ears are below the top of the vehicle seat headrests" is the wording on the label. I don't know why they wouldn't put that in the height limit section of the manual.

careynj

Yep, that's the right one. I really liked this booster until this all came out, as did my nephew. Now we can't use it in our truck, sucks that I bought it just for that :(

CTPDMom

Well I have headrests, so it's a non-issue for me...

But it seems that sticker might just be a poor abbreviation of the manual which says something to the effect of seat head rest or vehicle head rest depending, of course, on what part(s) of the seat you're using. Because this sticker is on the no back portion, seems reasonable to me that it applies to the no back portion and makes perfect sense (to me) that you'd need the child's head to be below the vehicle head rest top height without the back of the high back in use.

I'm gonna go with common sense on this one.

tiggercat

CTPDMom said:
Well I have headrests, so it's a non-issue for me...

But it seems that sticker might just be a poor abbreviation of the manual which says something to the effect of seat head rest or vehicle head rest depending, of course, on what part(s) of the seat you're using. Because this sticker is on the no back portion, seems reasonable to me that it applies to the no back portion and makes perfect sense (to me) that you'd need the child's head to be below the vehicle head rest top height without the back of the high back in use.

I'm gonna go with common sense on this one.

When questioned, the manufacturer of the child restraint insists that they mean head support is required at all times.
You can use the seat however you like, but I don't think there is that much wiggle room here. Using the Monterey booster seat in backless or high back mode without head support to the tips of the child's ears is against the manufacturer's directions.
I currently have two Monterey paperweights in my basement, as it is a risk I am not willing to take. My head restraints are incompatible with the seat as the cause a substantial gap which is against the manual.

CTPDMom

When questioned. But they have not put this info anywhere, nor has there been a recall. There are way worse car seat problems out there.

Like I said, this doesn't affect my Monterey because I have headrests.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Did you check the sides of the backless portion? It says something to the effect of "when used with or without back, vehicle headrest is required to the tips of the ears". Diono insists this means that it always requires vehicle head support.
I am guessing on which thumbnail is the right one, this may or may not be the right sticker. Lol

This sticker also says "with or without back, only use with children 40-120lbs"...but the manual and all advertising says 30-120lbs. Which is right?

tiggercat

KaysKidz said:
This sticker also says "with or without back, only use with children 40-120lbs"...but the manual and all advertising says 30-120lbs. Which is right?

I am in Canada, so the lower limit is 40lb regardless of mode. I *think* in the USA it can be used with the back from 30lb and backless from 40?

CTPDMom

KaysKidz said:

Well if one is going to go by the letter of the sticker...then 40 is right.

If one is going by the manual then 30 is right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC