In a crash overseas, need a new seat!

Jentas

My husband, son, and I are in South Korea visiting family (we're from the US) and yesterday on our way from the airport hotel to Seoul somebody hit us on the highway. The van we were in turned sideways and my six month old son was sideways in his Chicco Keyfit 30. He is fine!! I don't see a bruise on him, the hospital didn't check him out other than giving me a list of things to look for (vomiting, etc) and I wish there was more they could have done but I'm just glad my son is okay. Way to go Keyfit and thank you to God!

My dilemma is this: I need a new carseat and the insurance from the other person will pay for the carseat but I am now so terrified and scared of another accident, I want to find the safest seat possible. I am not familiar with the standards used here and how they compare to the US.

My family suggested just getting another Chicco, I think Chicco Living, however I'm not sure about how it would compare to the Keyfit 30 safety-wise. I looked up carseats the best I could and found one called Daiichi that looks good but I'm not sure about that either.

Can anyone share their knowledge of South Korean testing regulations? For example, do they use US laws, ECE, other, etc? Safety-wise, do you know of a carseat in Korea that would at least meet the safety of my Keyfit? And if it's even better, then great! I want my LO as protected as possible. I know we shouldn't use the Korean carseat we buy while living in the US, however I'm thinking if it exceeds what we had in the US.... Hmmm. I don't know how to compare the different countries' carseats, though. I don't know anything about carseats here and have to make a decision tomorrow about what to buy that will protect my LO at least while we remain here. Please give me any advice you have!

Thank you!

ADS

newyorkDOC

Personally I'd get a Swedish seat shipped to you there then sell it or keep it when back home in the US. But I'm familiar with the EU standards so I trust them more than unknown asian standards. I know that seat usage in Asia is generally pretty poor. Are you wanting a 5-pt harness in a bucket? Bc outside of the US I think they're pretty hard to find.

bbartlettnfld

Is Aprica available in South Korea or am I confusing SK with Japan? They have seats well rated I think.

I doubt anything you get there will exceed US testing but I have no experience with anything other than an Aprica convertible which was RF to 20lbs and FF to 40 and about the size of Graco comfort sport.

Mommy!

I would contact or visit your Embassy or Consulate (American or othewise) locally, they probably have ex-pat families posted there who have had to deal with this.

Now my brother is overseas in China, and if the safety standards in Korea are anything like those in China, I personally would seriously consider using my crashed US or Canadian approved seat, depending on the quality of what is available to purchase new of course.

Disclaimer, this is just my opinion, and relates to the quality of seats I have seen my brother purchase in China ( :eek: )

katymyers

I know Britax sells seats in Asia. I would maybe try to find one of those since they sell seats in US and Europe so it might be a little better made than an Asian brand.

tam_shops

If you buy a seat there, it is no good to you in the US b/c it won't have their stamp of approval on it, right? At least that's how it works here in Canada.
You'll have to buy a new one when you return home. Is there any way to buy the one you want off Amazon.com, give the insurance company the bill and then figure something else out while you are there? ie borrow or buy a cheap one and leave it there for others in the family to use. Otherwise, I'd just use public transit for the rest of the trip and not deal with it while on vacation...

tam

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's possible you might not be able to fly back with whatever you buy, so don't give up the Chicco, a crashed seat might be better than no seat on the plane. I'm sorry I can't advise what to buy over there, try not to stress though and if you need to buy a new seat when you return so be it. Try to enjoy your vacation for now :) Glad you are all ok.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC