Question Buying a new family vehicle

luckyclov

I never claimed a minivan had more cargo space either way...seats up, down, or doing the uneven bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Speaking from experience I could still fit more in a Suburban over a Sienna with the third row up or down. Not picking on you Clov or trying to start a debate just sharing that having had both and taken many roadtrips in both...I feel my opinion is valid here.

luckyclov

It's ok. I'm not debating anything, either, I was just trying to be helpful and looked up the "paper" specs. No more being nice from me ever again. ;)

luckyclov

It's indisputable that minivans have more cargo space (all seats up) than SUVs in the mid (Pilot) to large (Sequoia) range, which was all I ever made reference to. When we did our brief entertaining of SUVs, I could not even fit my daily cargo in the ones we looked at (Pilot, Sequoia, Flex, Acadia), never mind anything more. We never looked at full size SUVs like the Suburban, though.

Darren made the comment that minivans had all the cargo of the largest full size SUV, so out of curiosity, I decided to go look up the specs between the Sienna, which has the largest amount of cargo in the minivan class, and the Suburban (which is what I would consider one of the the largest full size SUVs). :)

canadiangie

It's indisputable that minivans have more cargo space (all seats up) than SUVs in the mid (Pilot) to large (Sequoia) range, which was all I ever made reference to. When we did our brief entertaining of SUVs, I could not even fit my daily cargo in the ones we looked at (Pilot, Sequoia, Flex, Acadia), never mind anything more. We never looked at full size SUVs like the Suburban, though.

Darren made the comment that minivans had all the cargo of the largest full size SUV, so out of curiosity, I decided to go look up the specs between the Sienna, which has the largest amount of cargo in the minivan class, and the Suburban (which is what I would consider one of the the largest full size SUVs). :)

Curious what you haul on a daily basis.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We are in complete agreement Clov :)

I definitely couldn't do a Pilot, Explorer, etc. there's just no way. The Sequoia would be very close; I could fit my dog crate but sideways so not ideal.

Last edited:

luckyclov

What do I haul on a daily basis? I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

Just kidding.

Let's just say...a lot of stuff for a 9.5 year old following his dreams who better not put me in a nursing home when I'm old and senile. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I listed some manufacturer provided figures in the blog I linked above. They may not be correct, but most of them came from the manufacturers' own websites. They may also not correlate to how practical that volume is to use, but that is highly subjective and depends a lot on what you are putting into it. Also, some have mentioned in past discussions that what you can actually fit in through the opening is an issue as well.

In response to that, attached are some numbers from a leading consumer publication, not from manufacturer numbers. The Expedition extended EL version came out on top for cargo space, with the AWD Sienna a very close second. The other three (Odyssey, Suburban, Sequoia) had less room, but were all about the same.

"(for minivans) is the volume of a pipeframe 'box' that is expanded until it just fits the cargo area through the rear opening."

Sequoia: 61.0 cu ft.
Suburban: 61.0 cu ft.
Sienna: 70.5 cu ft.
Odyssey: 61.5 cu ft.
Expedition extended EL: 72.5 cu ft.

On the flip side, the Expedition got 13mpg overall, vs. 19mpg for the AWD Sienna. That's a significant difference in fuel costs, almost 50% higher, not to mention that the range of prices is about $10k more for the Expedition up front. It also had some pretty mediocre braking numbers, not surprising considering it is nearly 2000 lbs heavier.

I'm sure there are exceptions that will find either a particular minivan or full size SUV to work better for cargo space in their situation. For most people, I don't think there is a huge practical difference based on my experience and from manufacturer measurements. The full size SUVs excel at towing and also if you need to do heavy duty off-roading. The tradeoff is that minivans tend to be less expensive, have better fuel economy and, in the case of the Odyssey at least, top crash results and a wide array of latch/tether options for carseats.

Personally, I prefer the ride and handling of a modern unibody chassis with independent suspensions, but that varies a lot from one vehicle to the next as well. Fortunately, stability control has negated some of the major handling and rollover issues with truck-based vehicles, so that isn't as big of an issue as it used to be 10 years ago. I still think it's hard to match the 2011+ Honda Odyssey EX as an all around great choice for a family vehicle. No, it doesn't work for everyone, but it's a great balance of flexibility and value for 8-passengers that is also very safe. I missed our Odyssey in some regards on our road trip last week. The Highlander is a lot quieter and smoother on the road, but I had to use a cargo hitch carrier just to fit all the stuff that would have easily fit inside the Odyssey. Midsize SUV models and smaller full size SUVs just don't compare in terms of flexible cargo capability with the better minivans, in my opinion.

Attachments

• familyvehicle1.jpg
    familyvehicle1.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 7
  • familyvehicle2.jpg
    familyvehicle2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 4

luckyclov

I used Edmunds to get specs. It listed the Sienna's cubic square footage as 39.1 with all seats up and 150 maximum capacity.

Your linked comparison thinga-ma-jiggie has the Sienna at 70.5.

KBB says: EPA Passenger: 164.4, EPA Trunk/Cargo: 150.

Cars.com says: Passenger Volume: 164, Interior Cargo Volume: 39.1, Interior Cargo Volume w/ Seats Folded: 87.1

I wonder how they're all doing their measurements?

ETA: Hmmm...well...Toyota says: Cargo Volume behind front seats: 150, Cargo volume behind second row: 87.1, Cargo volume behind third row: 39.1.

bubbaray

Darren, I don't necessarily disagree with you comparing the mid-size SUVs with the Ody, but I really think the full sized SUVs haul MUCH more stuff than any minivan. It's not just cargo dimensions but how you can pack the space. Hockey team and their bags? No problem in the YukonXL or 'burb. No way you can fit 5players and 5 rolling hockey bags in the Ody.

But really, I still want that F650. I'd throw a canopy on it and call it good. Could take that hockey line and their coaches. LOL

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
bubbaray said:
Darren, I don't necessarily disagree with you comparing the mid-size SUVs with the Ody, but I really think the full sized SUVs haul MUCH more stuff than any minivan. It's not just cargo dimensions but how you can pack the space. Hockey team and their bags? No problem in the YukonXL or 'burb. No way you can fit 5players and 5 rolling hockey bags in the Ody.

But really, I still want that F650. I'd throw a canopy on it and call it good. Could take that hockey line and their coaches. LOL

Seriously, it's the perfect vehicle. Gull wing doors only make it that much sweeter. Of course, you would have to carry a ladder.

canadiangie

Can I add that how you go about packing the cargo area of an SUV really makes or breaks it? Quite literally if someone gauged the cargo space of an SUV with the liftgate up and just staring at how little room it *appears* to have behind the 3rd row... yeah, I can see how someone would go screaming for an Oddy. But opening just the glass... And loading downwards and completely front to back of the cargo space... its just beautiful, IME. Family of 5 here, with a double stroller on board 90% of the time (except during trips -- I pack a single) and still room for a Costco run. Admittedly I tend to place my bread and eggs up front, but I gotta be honest, I think I'd do that no matter what I drove. I guess it goes without saying that any SUV lacking the option to open just the glass would be a deal breaker for me... but honestly not once have we run out of room. I guess we're just lucky.

tl01

There's something strange about the back of the current sienna vs ody. The little bit that the sienna is bigger seems to go a long way. We always had to put our third row down for trips to my parents house in our 2011 ody but in our sienna we don't have to. I will be honest.. I bring a lot of stuff... I bring a huge stroller.. Stokke xplory and we have to bring two aerobeds plus all the normal stuff. In the sienna we can fit the stuff behind the third row which is great bc I don't have to disassemble the seats in my third row for carpoolers.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Yeah, maybe they are using Super Magical Dimensions but there really is just no comparison.

When reading the disclaimer it sounds like they measure the space in the minivan different than the SUVS.:confused: Like they measure space until it meets the doorframe...I don't know...I can't figure out what they are saying other than they are adding extra space to the van.

canadiangie

When reading the disclaimer it sounds like they measure the space in the minivan different than the SUVS.:confused: Like they measure space until it meets the doorframe...I don't know...I can't figure out what they are saying other than they are adding extra space to the van.

Can you post the text of the disclaimer? I can't figure out where you're reading.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC