Question Buying a new family vehicle

TXDani

Senior Community Member
canadiangie said:
Can you post the text of the disclaimer? I can't figure out where you're reading.

Just this part..."(for minivans) is the volume of a pipeframe 'box' that is expanded until it just fits the cargo area through the rear opening." which I am reading as they measured it different?!?

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

o_mom

It's indisputable that minivans have more cargo space (all seats up) than SUVs in the mid (Pilot) to large (Sequoia) range, which was all I ever made reference to. When we did our brief entertaining of SUVs, I could not even fit my daily cargo in the ones we looked at (Pilot, Sequoia, Flex, Acadia), never mind anything more. We never looked at full size SUVs like the Suburban, though.

Given the OP's budget and wanting something newer, I think the giant SUVs (Suburban, YukonXL) are out anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Back to the original post (though the cargo space discussion is fascinating ;) ), some of the mid-size SUVs you listed are really no better for hauling three kids and their stuff than some of the mid-size sedans (including the Prius) in my experience. Some mid-size SUVs seem to have really weird humps and bumps that leave a lot less room than they look like they should have for car seat installs, and you get almost if not as much the trunk capacity in a Malibu or Corolla with some of the smaller SUVs. I mean, not if you're hauling really tall things I guess? But for most family needs, often a sedan will do just fine for three kids, a double stroller (even a big one- our Corolla often hauled our Mountain Buggy Urban Double which is... not small), one or two smaller strollers, two diaper bags, a month's worth of groceries, and assorted emergency supplies... I know from experience! So just something to keep in mind with mid-size SUVs- not all are created equal. I've seen ones that are great family haulers, and ones that I'd take a sedan over any day of the week.

canadiangie

Just this part..."(for minivans) is the volume of a pipeframe 'box' that is expanded until it just fits the cargo area through the rear opening." which I am reading as they measured it different?!?

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

So they're taking the actual size of the door's opening into account? Like how big the hole is? If that's the case, and they're then measuring the hole on SUV's and making a direct comparison... well.. :confused:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
canadiangie said:
So they're taking the actual size of the door's opening into account? Like how big the hole is? If that's the case, and they're then measuring the hole on SUV's and making a direct comparison... well.. :confused:

It confuses me too. I am thinking they take the opening size of the door (for the minivans) and then measure that back into the car until they stop (wether at the third row, second row...wherever) so any slopes in the roof or indents on the side aren't accounted for in the total space? But the SUVs it is actual space you can use? I don't know...we need Darren's input...he is good at this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It confuses me too. I am thinking they take the opening size of the door (for the minivans) and then measure that back into the car until they stop (wether at the third row, second row...wherever) so any slopes in the roof or indents on the side aren't accounted for in the total space? But the SUVs it is actual space you can use? I don't know...we need Darren's input...he is good at this stuff.

Most measurements you find online all come from the manufacturers, based on some standard method of measuring cargo space. Some manufacturers go farther and also measure behind third row, behind second row, etc. Hopefully, these are comparable from one brand to another, but I don't really know what the standard is or how they measure it. Shopping sites like Edmunds and KBB and Cars.com usually just use the manufacturer numbers, so most will have the same ones. Some may do their own testing and if so, should somewhere say how they measure.

The leading consumer magazine I mentioned typically does all their own measurements in some way that makes sense to them in a practical nature that would apply to more real-world use. Obviously, their real-world use may not be the same as anyone else's, whether it's cars, carseats or whatever. The cargo measurement is done the exact same way for all minivans, suvs and wagons. They have another method for sedans, hatchbacks, coupes, etc). I didn't quote the entire pop-up window as I had to type it manually since it wouldn't let me cut/paste. I think the opening size and door is a consideration from the text, but that is obviously important if you are carrying large items like dog crates or whatever. Their method would also seem to lose a lot of the "nooks and crannies" that may or may not be useful.

So, despite the numbers from two sources, it may well be that some full size SUVs have as much or even more usable cargo space than minivans, or maybe it varies a lot depending what you are carrying. I think the passenger "box" length of most minivans and SUVs is pretty similar, since the longer SUVs use up a lot of that extra length for the engine compartment. Perhaps we need someone with a new Sienna and newer Suburban to have a cargo showdown?

One thing I know for certain is that no midsize SUV is remotely close to Odyssey or Sienna (and presumably other minivans) in terms of total cargo space, cargo space behind the third row and 3rd row comfort/legroom. You typically pay more for a midsize crossover SUV and generally get less than a similarly equipped minivan. I've reviewed a lot of the popular midsize crossover models in the last 1-2 years and even larger ones like the Enclave fall well short of a minivan in terms of space. You pay even more for a truck-based, full-size SUV, but at least those that actually need the heavy duty towing and rugged trail offroad capability can get similar (or greater) passenger and cargo space to a minivan (your mileage may vary, of course).

Attached is a shot from a recent trip in our Toyota Highlander midsize SUV. All that stuff on the hitch carrier would easily have fit behind the third row in our 2006 Odyssey, along with the suitcases behind the third row in the Highlander. Granted, we averaged about 31 mpg on the highway over 1250 miles with a full load of people, stuff and A/C use. I *once* almost got to 30mpg on a tank under ideal highway conditions with minimal A/C use in the Odyssey, but usually more like 26-27 highway. Not a real fair comparison since it's a hybrid, but I'm happy that I didn't lose fuel economy by downsizing;-)

Attachments

• highlandercargocarrier.jpg
    highlandercargocarrier.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 29

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm definitely not arguing that the mid size SUVs have as much room as the mini vans; we could fit a small Dachshund behind the 3rd row of our Explorer, provided it was laying down. But I just can't believe that they are saying there is as much room in a Sienna as a Burb :confused:

o_mom

I think the opening size and door is a consideration from the text, but that is obviously important if you are carrying large items like dog crates or whatever. Their method would also seem to lose a lot of the "nooks and crannies" that may or may not be useful.

Opening size is a factor for some cargo, so I think it is informative to look at all the ways of measuring. I know DH's last two sedans (2001.5 Passat and 2006 Accord) both have 'large' trunks that could fit quite a bit of luggage put in piecemeal, but if we had anything remotely 'bulky', forget it, it just wouldn't fit through the opening.

luckyclov

This is what's in the back of my 2011 Sienna at the moment: 3 adult camp chairs, 1 child camp chair, an outdoor sunshade umbrella, a Britax Blink stroller, a Britax Chaperone stroller, a BJCMicro stroller, a picnic basket style bag with blankets, first aid box, etc, in it, a large bag with 13 soccer balls, and 2 large soccer backpacks. This was loaded in a hurry without consideration to saving space.

ETA: And a Monterey back.

Attachments

• image-1555149753.jpg
    image-1555149753.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

canadiangie

This is what's in the back of my 2011 Sienna at the moment: 3 adult camp chairs, 1 child camp chair, an outdoor sunshade umbrella, a Britax Blink stroller, a Britax Chaperone stroller, a BJCMicro stroller, a picnic basket style bag with blankets, first aid box, etc, in it, a large bag with 13 soccer balls, and 2 large soccer backpacks. This was loaded in a hurry without consideration to saving space.

ETA: And a Monterey back.

And if you get groceries you just pile them on top?

luckyclov

canadiangie said:
And if you get groceries you just pile them on top?
I buckle the grocery bags into all the strollers back there. ;)

I don't normally have 3 strollers back there, for the record. Today was just a ridiculous day. Depending on the day of the week, there's other stuff (misc. GK training equipment, cooler, etc) back there too. And sometimes a crate. As far as groceries go, DH usually does the shopping, so they go in the truck. Now THAT has some serious cargo space! :p

canadiangie

I buckle the grocery bags into all the strollers back there. ;)

I don't normally have 3 strollers back there, for the record. Today was just a ridiculous day. Depending on the day of the week, there's other stuff (misc. GK training equipment, cooler, etc) back there too. And sometimes a crate. As far as groceries go, DH usually does the shopping, so they go in the truck. Now THAT has some serious cargo space! :p

Interesting. That's a lot of crap (and I say that with love :p), so much that I think I'd be telling Dh to give me the f150. And actually, the list of stuff you're hauling makes me think Suburban -- it's what most of the very sport devoted large families I know drive. But maybe that has to do more with the 6am hockey practices when it's -30 out. Who knows. But anyway, you haul a lot of stuff.

I do not, hence being just dandy with my midsize Oddy in a sexy outfit. ie: Pilot.

I feel bad for hijacking this thread. Pretty sure this convo was what Darren was hoping to see in his minivan vs SUV thread. :eek:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I feel bad for hijacking this thread. Pretty sure this convo was what Darren was hoping to see in his minivan vs SUV thread. :eek:

Lol I have lamented this a few times already. We just can't seem to get a lot of comments on the blog compared to some other mommyblogs and parenting blogs. To avoid blaming poor writing and boring content, we attribute it to readers who end up commenting here instead...

Speaking of the blog, stay tuned for a photo of how much you can fit in a full size pickup...

canadiangie

Lol I have lamented this a few times already. We just can't seem to get a lot of comments on the blog compared to some other mommyblogs and parenting blogs. To avoid blaming poor writing and boring content, we attribute it to readers who end up commenting here instead...

Speaking of the blog, stay tuned for a photo of how much you can fit in a full size pickup...

Oh I'd comment on your blog, I just hate having to login to do it.

Your writing is superb, every one of you mods who submit to the blog are top notch. :)

bubbaray

CPSDarren said:

Inside our 2011 F150 super crew, I can fit two large LLB duffels + four medium duffels. That is on the 2nd row floor and in the 2nd row center (kids are outboard). That doesn't count under the seat of the second row, where I put shoes etc. Generally I put everything in the box in summer, but in winter ski trips, all the clothing duffels go inside.

Alternatively, kids center & outboard and 3 or 4 LLB M duffles in front of their feet, with 85 lb dog on the floor of the other outboard seat (with the seat folded down). That only happens in very hot weather, otherwise he rides in his crate in the box.

luvsviola

In my Odyssey at this very minute with the third row of seats up...two double strollers and two single strollers. :) and a diaper bag and a tool kit and DS's medical bag of emergency g tube stuff.

I have in there--Graco Ready2Grow, Mac Twin Triumph, BJCM single, and a Peg Perego P3.

Our normal strollers are BJCM and the Ready2Grow. But I can get a Mountain Buggy Urban Double and a BJCM back there if I do it carefully, along with our swimming bag for 3 kids.

luckyclov

bubbaray said:
Inside our 2011 F150 super crew, I can fit two large LLB duffels + four medium duffels. That is on the 2nd row floor and in the 2nd row center (kids are outboard). That doesn't count under the seat of the second row, where I put shoes etc. Generally I put everything in the box in summer, but in winter ski trips, all the clothing duffels go inside.

Alternatively, kids center & outboard and 3 or 4 LLB M duffles in front of their feet, with 85 lb dog on the floor of the other outboard seat (with the seat folded down). That only happens in very hot weather, otherwise he rides in his crate in the box.
DH has a '12 SuperCrew. We have a Radian-Olli-FR85 3 across. There's 2 or 3 camp chairs under the back seat. And in the bed (is that what you're calling the box?), for which we have the hard locking cover thingie, we have the state of Rhode Island. :p

armywife12

Wow, I've missed a lot! Thanks everyone for the input. We really have no reason to get something with a ton of cargo space. I just like it as an option, although we always end up hauling TONS of stuff on our way back from the in laws because of the extra space and it drives me bananas! We do a few long road trips every year where the extra cargo room comes in handy. I don't feel so cramped. We don't have any pets and I don't have a huge stroller or anything so we don't need a ton of cargo space for day to day. You all have given me a lot to think about. I'm excited to test drive them when the time comes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC