When did your big kid outgrow the Radian?

laurengt

There is always talk about kids who make it to 4, 5, 6 yrs RF in the Radian. Sometimes I wonder if my DS will make it to 3. :0) He's 33 lbs and about 38-39" now and all torso.

Anyone not make it as long as they'd hoped to RF in the Radian?

ADS

tam_shops

My 6yo still fits by height and weight. His torso is about the same as his 3yo brother. Unless my 3yo really grows legs and no torso for the next year or two, he'll be out before 4-5yo. If he fits until 4yo I'll be good. I'd prefer 5yo. He's more vocal than my ODS, and sees his brother FF, so I'll let him decide himself somewhere between 4-5yo--if he still fits...

tam

gsdguenter

DD1 outgrew if rf going by the 1.5 in rule at 4 yr. 10 mon.

ff she still fits. She is 42 in., I think 16 in torso (maybe old measurement though) and 41 lbs. She'll be 5 in 3 weeks.

scariestone

DS outgrew it RF by weight around 3.5 and FF by height around 4.5. I'm really not comfortable using it with the straps coming from below his shoulder even though they allow it so I bought an RSTV for when we need to squeeze him in a small seat. I have no idea of his torso height but he's 43" tall and is just outgrowing size 5 pants and shirts by length.

armywife12

Mine outgrew the Radian RF by weight at 3.5 yrs old and would have outgrown it in height shortly after that. He'll be 5 next month and is likely very close to outgrowing it FF if we still had the seat

tiggercat

Megan was flirting with the limits (both height and weight) at 4.5 years old when I got my 45lb RF radian. She might even have outgrown it as I was going by the 1 inch rule (not the more conservative 1.5 they are going by now). I should see if I can find that picture.
She outgrew it FF (shoulders at THS, Canadian model) at 5 years old.
Sam is turning 3 next month and still has 15lb and 6 inches by numerical height (but maybe 3-4 inches above his head?) before outgrowing it RF. He is using the 4th slot RF so I imagine he won't use it FF long, if at all.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
DS outgrew it RF by weight around 3.5 and FF by height around 4.5. I'm really not comfortable using it with the straps coming from below his shoulder even though they allow it so I bought an RSTV for when we need to squeeze him in a small seat. I have no idea of his torso height but he's 43" tall and is just outgrowing size 5 pants and shirts by length.

Your DS is exactly the same size as one of my twins!! He also outgrew the Radian FF at 4, depending on vehicle and how it installs.

Edited to say: Except by weight looking at your siggy. Mine is only 40lbs and turned 5 in May. LOL

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Its not a great pic, but here is DD , she is 3 y 9 mo and when installed and sitting correctly, was at the 1.5 inch mark in the radian. (Also at the 39-ish lb mark, and the limit was 40, at the time) She had a HUGE torso.

june09025.jpg

june09026.jpg

Ninetales

My 2yr4mo looks to have quite a bit of room in height, but is pretty close to 40 lbs now. If she makes it six months I will be happy with that.

tiggercat

I probably should start a new thread, but how much time do you think? I need a 1.5 inch thick book. lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

monstah

The RN had a lower weight limit back then but if there was a 45 pound version he would have outgrown by weight sometime between 2-3.
And IIRC, he was 3 when the weight limits changed to 40 pounds (?) even though he was over the weight limit I had him sit in his sisters RF RN out of curiosity and his head cleared the top.
This is all moot anyway because he's been FF since 9 months old, I wasn't aware of the safety benefits then.

Oh, he was over the top slots FF before turning 4.

SynEpona

DS would still fit, but I needed it for DD.
He's 43lb, 43", average torso to leg ratio, and 5.5yrs. He had about 3/4" left before he was at the top harness slots, a month ago when I moved him to a booster in both vehicles.

christineka

I have radian 80s. My kids outgrew the radian completely (ears at the top of the shell, 53 inches tall) at 11, 10, and 9 years old; 65, 65, and 58 pounds; 18.5 inch torsos.

momtotwogirls

My oldest probably would have outgrown it rf around 4ish and has outgrown it ff at 5.
My youngest will likely fit rf in it til around 5. We wont be using it forward facing.

jacqui276

I made DD sit in mine last week (she's 8) and she JUST outgrew it for FF (and was not impressed that I stuck her in a harnessed seat haha)
I didn't have it when she was younger but I have a 45lbs one and she would have outgrown it by weight by age 3 for RFing.

My 5 year old niece still has a couple inches of torso growing room before she outgrows it RFing by height (she's about 34lbs).

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
We've already made it further than I expected RF in our XTSL. My son was all torso, but luckily seems to have only grown in the legs in the past year. At 4y 4m he is about 40 lbs and 40 inches, with probably about 3 inches left above his head. His weight gain has been insanely slow (he's only gained about 5 lbs in the last 2 years), so at this point I expect he should make it to 5 RF.

BananaBoat

DD1 turned 4 a week ago & the pic in my siggy was taken on Mother's Day. She's 38# & 40 inches, mostly torso (finally grew legs this year!) & has only gained 3ish pounds in the past year. We have a 45# XTSL that's she's RFing in. My goal was 4 so anything now is icing on the cake. Occasionally she asks to go FF, so if that becomes a daily & consistent request I will consider it. Also, DD2 will soon go RF in a RA55 & if that presents issues regarding puzzling, the XTSL may have to go FF. She's definitely the only 4 year old I know IRL that is still RF & I'm glad we made it this far. I know that going FF will be far more traumatizing for me than her, but I feel good about her safety either way at this point...especially considering how many of her preschool peers are in boosters already :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC