Why is it not good for the Airline to handle your child restraint?

lovinwaves

I need info/links/facts on why it is unsafe for the airline to handle your carseat without it being in a box or bag.

TIA!

ADS

natysr

Sorry, I know of no links, but I can say that I don't let them touch my seats for 3 reasons.

1. I need it on the plane.
2. I want to be sure that it doesn't go into the lost baggage black hole.
3. I handle my carseats as gently as I handle my child. (except that I don't stand on my child when tightening his harness, but I do stand on the seat when tighting the seatbelt and/or latch.) I've looked out the window at the terminal and seen how baggage handlers load bags onto the planes, and I would never let them handle my child in that manner, so I certainly wouldn't let them handle my car seat in that manner either.

skaterbabs

Only anecdotal, but I SAW what they did to my stroller when we flew, and there is no way I would EVER check a car seat! They nearly destroyed my stroller, and it was gate checked.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Anecdotal again, but once whem we checked our seat (at SeaTac) it came out at the other end dripping wet. And that was inside a plastic bag supplied by the airline.

broken4u05

when the boys went to FL they checked the seats and they broke the foam on one of the seats, I will post photos when i find my camera cord

CRS

Senior Community Member
I haven't got any info or facts other then my two eyes - they throw the bags and car seats around like rag dolls! Saw one airline when I was overseas throw it towards the little trailer they carry it out on and missed, fell on the ground (concrete) so just picked it up again and shoved it in a corner!

ignora

Senior Community Member
I know of someone on another board who had to check her son's wheelchair (he's disabled). When they got it back, it was unusable. I think if an airline can wreck a wheelchair, a carseat doesn't have much of a chance either.

lynsgirl

3. I handle my carseats as gently as I handle my child. (except that I don't stand on my child when tightening his harness, but I do stand on the seat when tighting the seatbelt and/or latch.) I've looked out the window at the terminal and seen how baggage handlers load bags onto the planes, and I would never let them handle my child in that manner, so I certainly wouldn't let them handle my car seat in that manner either.

:ROTFLMAO:

Loves2sing

Sorry, no links here either, but my niece's seat were lost one their flight home from LA. Don't ask me why they didn't use the carseats on the plane, seeing as they were already paying for the seats anyway...:rolleyes:. But they were reimbursed. It did work out well for Katy, who was almost at the limits of her 48lb seat anyway, so they put her in a booster, and our little peanut, Brooke got a new carseat out of the deal. All the airline did was ask them the prices of the seats they planned on purchasing, and gave them a cheque for the total. They were also nice enough:rolleyes: to offer seats that had been lost and stuck around in the airport to get them home. They were pure trash. I personally would never had put my kids into the seats, but it wasn't my choice, and I wasn't there, otherwise, I would have said something.

lovemyfamily

Sorry, no links here either, but my niece's seat were lost one their flight home from LA. Don't ask me why they didn't use the carseats on the plane, seeing as they were already paying for the seats anyway...:rolleyes:. But they were reimbursed. It did work out well for Katy, who was almost at the limits of her 48lb seat anyway, so they put her in a booster, and our little peanut, Brooke got a new carseat out of the deal. All the airline did was ask them the prices of the seats they planned on purchasing, and gave them a cheque for the total. They were also nice enough:rolleyes: to offer seats that had been lost and stuck around in the airport to get them home. They were pure trash. I personally would never had put my kids into the seats, but it wasn't my choice, and I wasn't there, otherwise, I would have said something.

This has happened to us. My DH misunderstood me wanting to gate check my DS, he was 5yo at the time, carseat, and it got checked with the luggage. When we arrived in CA, we were told his seat was in Kansas City. They gave us a loaner and his seat arrived 2 days later. I really had no choice but to use their loaner. I had no other option to get my son from the airport to our hotel. Thankfully he didn't need a carseat until we were done with our week long vacation, but it was extremely frustrating.
I now gate check his seat, he is almost 6.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
This has happened to us. My DH misunderstood me wanting to gate check my DS, he was 5yo at the time, carseat, and it got checked with the luggage. When we arrived in CA, we were told his seat was in Kansas City. They gave us a loaner and his seat arrived 2 days later. I really had no choice but to use their loaner. I had no other option to get my son from the airport to our hotel. Thankfully he didn't need a carseat until we were done with our week long vacation, but it was extremely frustrating.
I now gate check his seat, he is almost 6.

FWIW, gate-checking isn't a guarantee that your seat will arrive at the same time as you either. My sister's gate-checked stroller recently arrived a day after her (they forgot to load it on the plane) and I've seen piles of gate-checked luggage in a corner of baggage claim at O'hare.
If you really need it at your destination, I highly recommend taking it on the plane. Keeping it with you is the only way to guarantee you'll have it when you arrive.

lovemyfamily

FWIW, gate-checking isn't a guarantee that your seat will arrive at the same time as you either. My sister's gate-checked stroller recently arrived a day after her (they forgot to load it on the plane) and I've seen piles of gate-checked luggage in a corner of baggage claim at O'hare.
If you really need it at your destination, I highly recommend taking it on the plane. Keeping it with you is the only way to guarantee you'll have it when you arrive.
Oh yeah, even gate checking is no guarantee, but much better of a chance than counter checking. When we leave something at the bottom of the jetway, we always put it right in front of the door to the tarmack. The rampers have to trip over it to get in and out of the jetway. LOL
Unfortunately not all carseats or strollers, can be taken on the plane, or even fit. My oldest uses a Parkway when we travel, we can't take it on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC