Question Coccoro questions

thekatie

I :know: I've read the answer to my Coccoro infant seat insert here before, but I can't find it. I'm search word challenged :(

Does the Coccoro seat insert HAVE to be used until LO is 25, or may it be removed before then?

And, about harness strap covers - these seem kind of long, longer than my Pria's at least. I'm not entirely sure I can get the chest clip in the right place with the covers just... there... Is it possible to kind of work the back end into the seat cover (the hole the straps go through), or is that a big nono?

I'm so very excited about my seat! So is my 16 month old - he keeps trying to take the manual as I'm trying to read it, or he keeps climbing in the seat and just sitting.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Nope, as long as your child's shoulders are above the bottom harness slots you can take the insert out whenever you want. 25 pounds was a misprint.

And you can either just scrunch the harness covers up, or take them off altogether. They are pretty long, most people just scrunch them though.

thekatie

So, he doesn't have to be 25lb, but his shoulders have to be above the top harness slot? He's rear-facing, and the second slot (2nd from the bottom) is just under his shoulders without the insert, and definitely well under his shoulders with the insert. ((I haven't installed the seat yet, we are still looking it over inside and trying to adjust everything before I go put it in the car))

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
So, he doesn't have to be 25lb, but his shoulders have to be above the top harness slot? He's rear-facing, and the second slot (2nd from the bottom) is just under his shoulders without the insert, and definitely well under his shoulders with the insert. ((I haven't installed the seat yet, we are still looking it over inside and trying to adjust everything before I go put it in the car))

I mistyped and said top harness slot and I meant bottom lol I'm sorry. Meaning if you had a small preemie whose shoulders weren't at or above the bottom harness slot, you'd be required to use the insert. Your 16 month old is fine without it though unless he's teeny tiny. :)

CuddlyMonsters

My DD is 17lbs and has a torso height of 9". We took the infant insert out. I think you have to use it up to 15lbs and need to take it out before they hit 22lbs.

Anyways we took ours out. She is on the second set of harness slots.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I am trying to get this sorted out with Combi right now for a review I'm writing of the Coccoro. Our contact at Combi who as I understand is Vera's replacement (she now works for Clek) is insistent that the insert be used to 25 lbs. We have asked him to check with the engineers and sent a picture of a 22 lbs child (T3) in the seat with the insert. I am hoping that I will get a good answer that will help clear up confusion.

oliviacw

My daughter is currently 30.5 inches and about 18 pounds, at 16 months. It's entirely likely that she will outgrow the seat by height before she hits 25 pounds! Plus, if she had to use the infant insert, she'd outgrow it sooner because of the extra height it adds. Requiring it to 25 pounds is ridiculous. Even requiring it to 15 is questionable in her case - she didn't hit 15 pounds until she hit 9 months old. I think she was 26 inches long then, maybe 27.

oakster

I would love an update on this as well---we've been using ours without the insert for a 17-pound 8.5-month-old based on the old thread with the note from Vera and he fits beautifully on the second harness slots, but I admit I was surprised/a little worried that the DOM on our seat was 6+ months after that exchange and yet the manual and label still had 25 listed. We will return the seat if the insert really needs to be used till 25 pounds, since our kiddo is also likely to outgrow the seat by height before getting much past that. :(

gigi

I called Combi myself and asked that they ask a manager or engineer. They okayed use without insert for my 19 lb, 31", 12 month old.

thekatie

monica-m said:
I really wish they would make an official statement on this.

But if I didn't come here, read these boards, I would never have even known it might be up for debate. If I was a general public mom who just went by the manual, I'd assume the 25lb rule was an official statement.

I have a new question! Another mom who has the Coccoro said that when she called Combi about a different issue, they told her she had to have something to fill the gap between the Coccoro base and the vehicle seat, even if the angle was proper. Is that true? Also, is it absolutely required to keep the seat installed with the recline level indicator absolutely level (putting the seat at a 45* angle), if I have a 16 month old? Or can it be more upright (like 35*)?

I'm going to wind up calling Combi myself to ask all these questions, but I still value the opinions and quoted statements everyone here has. Thank you all so much.

TXmom2

Any official statement released on the use of the insert with a heavier child yet?
The manual says (multiple times) that is MUST be used until 25lbs.

My 14 mo old,is 20lbs, 10in torso and looks really squished & kinda uncomfortable with the insert in. Seems rediculous to use it.

Also, while I'm here. The RF LATCH strap is supposed to be in front of where the seat cover is sewn together by the crotch strap, correct?

Just got our Cherry Pie CCO in and am adjusting/playing with it before we try to install in the Pilot :D

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have not received an answer that makes sense to me. Post a picture on their Facebook page and ask them. Maybe they will see how ridiculous this is.

thekatie

I didn't even think about Facebook! I haven't been able to call Combi like I really want to do (horses mouth and all that), because during their CS hours it either slips my mind or my son is in full on cranky mode (he's 16 months and doesn't talk, so the frustration over lack of communication is getting a bit out of hand). I always seem to remember "Oh, I wanted to call Combi!" at 10pm :( ...... But the Coccoro is our spare travel seat, so it's not absolutely critical for me right this second.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC