Seat for taxi (big boy)

smackeen

Sorry, I am just posting the info for someone else.

Hello I need help,
I would like to know if any of you are taking a cab and have to carry their 12 months + with them and the car seat.I have to take a cab everywhere I go with my 12 month old and my 7 years old.My baby is 33 inches and 34 pounds.He does not fit his infant car seat anymore and I have to use his convertible seat in the cab and carry him with the car seat to go to grocery stores.The cab cannot keep the car seat for me until I am done my errands.I am looking for a solution that is safe for my baby and for my back... Looking perhaps for a lighter car seat. Need help please, right now I have to walk everywhere I go pushing the stroller.

My oldest is using a booster seat Graco Booster seat he is able to carry his own seat, he measures 4 foot 4 and weights 64 pounds. My 12 months old weights 34 pounds and 34 inches.I have a brand new Safe guard 5 pounds until 100 pounds seat I use for my baby it is bulky for carrying all day long.When we purchased the car seat we did not expected that we would need it sooner...my baby does not walk yet, he can do everything else so we still use RF.

What about the guide 65 for babe? Any recs would be appreciated.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What stroller does she have? Can she find a car seat that she can bungee into it? Or, one member here got a radian because it was able to fold and go in the basket of her stroller.

While RF would be ideal, in this situation, something is better than nothing. Does she live in a city where she calls for a taxi on a phone? If so, she can ask for one with LATCH, and could use the Safety 1st Go...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, I forgot to check the forum again. LOL. I don't know if you even have that seat.

Ok, so I'd find out what stroller she has, and maybe someone can tell you what works well as a "travel system" with that with a bungee. Or, if the Radian will go in the basket, that might be a good option, especially if she's willing to RF and can get an Angle ADjuster to make sure it will fit in almost anything.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd suggest a Scenera. It's the lightest and while her kid is pretty tall for his age, it'll still last some time. The Guide 65 is a bit heavier, but also offers a lot more growing room so it might be a choice as well.

I wonder if something like the Britax travel cart or a go-go-kidz would work well for her? The Britax one would certainly be easier to attach the car seat too, but I think you'd need a seat with a base for it to be easy to use - the Scenera and the Guide 65 wouldn't fall in to that category... but a Complete Air would. Baby is heavy enough to have it installed more upright so it'd fit in most vehicles I'd expect. It's not a light seat, but isn't the heaviest out there either, and if it doubled as the stroller then perhaps it would work?

smackeen

Thanks!

Still waiting to hear back on a few things.

Is the safe guard actually available in Canada? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.....

amyd

smackeen said:
Thanks!

Still waiting to hear back on a few things.

Is the safe guard actually available in Canada? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.....

No, it's not. Did she mean something else?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
SafeGuard never sold in Canada as far as I know, and haven't sold in the US for several years. In addition, there was never a SafeGuard that started at 5 lbs. that I know of (if the SafeGuard is, in fact, the SafeGuard brand that was IMMI here.) That makes me think she's got the name wrong, although it's possible it's just the stats and it's a US SafeGuard.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Does the new Roundabout base still fit perfectly into the Volo? That was our travel setup after our daughter outgrew her infant seat. No, the Roundabout isn't the lightest or the smallest seat out there but since it's generally such an easy install, and because the Volo is an easy push this is actually a popular airport travel setup. You can even hang a number of grocery bags off the back without weighing it down to the point where it is difficult to push.

-Nicole.

bbartlettnfld

Do cabs in PEI not have carseats available? I'm surprised. Here in St. John's I can call any cab company and request a booster seat or a carseat. They mostly have Sceneras and Cosco high-rise booster seats. Granted I did call a cab and it arrived with a 12 yr old Evenflo Champion once! I told the guy it was expired and he said he'd get dispatch to replace it.

I would ask her if she can request a cab with seats. She may not even realize they are available. Here all cabs have to have restraints, they used to be exempt but due to Kids In Safe Seats here in St. John's we managed to change their mandate.

Again it would be a lot easier for her to call and ask the cab companies if they have a cab with a carseat, everyone might not have them, and it may take a few more minutes wait time, but much less hassle I think.

smackeen

I know some do in the bigger city, but not sure where she is at. I would be scared to know what it would be.

Also if she had to wait for the car that had the seat, etc. I dont think it would go over well.

FrauDrA

bbartlettnfld said:
Do cabs in PEI not have carseats available? I'm surprised. Here in St. John's I can call any cab company and request a booster seat or a carseat. They mostly have Sceneras and Cosco high-rise booster seats. Granted I did call a cab and it arrived with a 12 yr old Evenflo Champion once! I told the guy it was expired and he said he'd get dispatch to replace it.

I would ask her if she can request a cab with seats. She may not even realize they are available. Here all cabs have to have restraints, they used to be exempt but due to Kids In Safe Seats here in St. John's we managed to change their mandate.

Again it would be a lot easier for her to call and ask the cab companies if they have a cab with a carseat, everyone might not have them, and it may take a few more minutes wait time, but much less hassle I think.

Wow! That's fantastic! Taxis in parts of Australia also must have one carseat available, but there's no requirement in Vancouver. You should see some of the things we do to get to/from the airport!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC