Military HOP

jasminegrl

We are trying to take a military hop from Japan back to the US, the plane we are trying to get on is a C5, which has either aft-facing plane seats or seats along the side of the cargo area facing the wings of the planes. So neither option is normal and I won't know which it will be until we board the plane. Both my kids should be in car-seats on a plane but what do I do in this situation. My son has a coccoro and my daughter has a radian. they are technically not allowed to be installed on aft-facing seats but i can't handle both kids on a 9hr flight not being restrained and I have no idea how the jump seats on the sides of the cargo plane even work to know if a car-seat will be compatible. And yes i do need to try and get this flight, we can't afford the 2,000 a person tickets to fly commercial and i needed to get home due to some family stuff like yesterday.

so if you were in my situation what would you do?

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
As a parent, I would make the choice to use the seats on the plane, no matter which way the plane seats are facing. The main purpose of the carseat on the plane is to restrain the children in case of turbulence - and the seat will still do that, even facing sideways. Plus, the kids will be more comfortable and be able to sleep, etc.

As a tech, I would tell you that the seats are not tested that way.

I hope you are able to get on the flight and make it home safely!

U

Unregistered

I have taken a few military hops. Take both seats with you on the C5 if they don't work out due to the seats they can easily store them for you. It's nothing like commercial flights! Just a hint. C5s will be very loud and ear plugs will be provided, use medical tape or band aids to keep your kids from pulling out the ear plugs. Sounds funny but it works. Good luck!

mykidsmylife

The c-5's usually have big, comfy normal seats. In most C-5's you go in the cargo area and climb up a steep ladder to the seating area (fun to do with 3 kids). The C-16's usually have the jump seats and occasionally seats added in the cargo area. They are the ones that transports large numbers of soldiers. The jump seats suck but I had no issue installing the Blvd rearfacing on them. I checked Seths seat b/c it isn't like a normal airline. We flew out of Ramstien and I was able to carry the seat to the people loading luggage. I talked to them about it do they were very careful. They also load the luggage in the same area as us so I had them put his car seat on top.
Anyways we used the car seat with no issues. The kids did get up to play some and we also made a pallet on the floor ( we brought a sleeping bag. My hips were so sore from the jump seats that I was cry

jasminegrl

yeah i read about the ladder up to the seating area... hopefully someone will help me with my stuff or i may cry... 2 kids both of whom can't climb something like that plus carseats and carry-on's, yeah its going to be an interesting trip if we are able to get seats.

mykidsmylife

They help, River was 6m and Seth has just turned 3, Johnathon was 7. I had 2 seats with me on that trip. I wore River in a sling and had Johnathon go up first then Seth then I was behind Seth with River and the infant seat (that was fun) one of the Airmen carried the Radian up for me. It was scary but there were people at top to help as well so it turned out okay. I always flew alone with the kids then we had a 4-6 hr drive to my inlaws so needless to say we were exhausted . It was worth it though and I would do it again. I actually prefer to take a hop over a commercial flight. Oh we did the Patriot Express as well once.

Good Luck. Just remember cash for food (it is $4 for a boxed meal), snacks, chest carrier for baby, lots of activities for the long waits and trip and a blanket. Also be prepared b/c you will travel with all sort of cargo. Our first trip we were in the cargo bay with tanks, the 2nd we were with weapons (guns, missiles etc). My sisters went and they were with the coffins of soldier KIA. :(

Good luck....

brightredmtn

They help, River was 6m and Seth has just turned 3, Johnathon was 7. I had 2 seats with me on that trip. I wore River in a sling and had Johnathon go up first then Seth then I was behind Seth with River and the infant seat (that was fun) one of the Airmen carried the Radian up for me. It was scary but there were people at top to help as well so it turned out okay. I always flew alone with the kids then we had a 4-6 hr drive to my inlaws so needless to say we were exhausted . It was worth it though and I would do it again. I actually prefer to take a hop over a commercial flight. Oh we did the Patriot Express as well once.

Good Luck. Just remember cash for food (it is $4 for a boxed meal), snacks, chest carrier for baby, lots of activities for the long waits and trip and a blanket. Also be prepared b/c you will travel with all sort of cargo. Our first trip we were in the cargo bay with tanks, the 2nd we were with weapons (guns, missiles etc). My sisters went and they were with the coffins of soldier KIA. :(

Good luck....

I've been on a HOP with coffins, super sad. When I did jump seats I don't remember any seat belts or any possible way a car seat could have been installed... This was a C-135 though we all sat in rows facing each other on benches troop style with knees together. There was literally no room to walk down the rows.

Anyway, good luck, especially with that ladder!

mykidsmylife

The c-16s have seatbelts on the jump seats. I took pictures of the set up but of course the cord to my external was lost in the move. @@.

jasminegrl

just wanted to let ya'll know we are manifested for the flight, hopefully we will be at my inlaws by tuesday or so, since we are staying for alittle bit a friends house at the base we will be flying into. If I remember I will get pictures of the kids in their seats on the plane :)

mykidsmylife

There is a little tiny bathroom with a sink. It is so small that me and one of the kids could barely fit in there.. I usually had to trust strangers to keep an eye on the other kids just so I could use the bathroom. LOL.

jasminegrl

and that is if the bathroom isn't broken, the last c5 that left from our base the bathroom broke about 2 hours into a 8-9hr flight according to the staff at our air terminal

jasminegrl

Just wanted to update y'all on our journey if I would have realized how much room we would have on a c5 before leaving I would have been able to put DD's radian rfing instead of setting her up for fwd facing for our trip. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to upload them from an iPod to here so it may be a bit before I can do that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC