Ford Freestyle

melniemi

Is it a true 7 passenger? 2 backless boosters, 1 hbb, 1 fr 85 and 1 rfing bv70. Possible or complete pain on a daily basis?

Thanks!

ADS

careynj

I'm not exactly sure, but it's pretty well the same as the Flex I believe. Looks like a squish to do everyday, would this be the main vehicle? And I feel you on the 5 kid shuffle, I was helping my brother find a car for their family. 2 boosters, 2 frontiers and a marathon.

Keeyamah

I have a 2004 one, and no way in h-e double hockey sticks are you gonna be able to do that, unless it has a VERY different back seat than what I have. My 3rd row sucks, you might be able to do 3 Bubble Bums in the back, but not the boosters you have. And the only place you could fit the other 2 is in the middle row, due to the width of the seats (vehicle and car). My DH initially suggested a Tahoe or Expedition (and other similar SUV's), but the access to the 3rd row would be difficult with the number of car seats you have. He is a car detailer and has to climb around in these cars every day at work, so when it comes to accessing back rows, he's got a good idea of what it takes.

melniemi

We have a Yukon xl now but are looking to downsize. I was thinking 8 pass Sienna but my dh isn't wanting a foreign vehicle :p lol. So I was trying to see if it's possible.

careynj

AH. Yeah, that's a tough downsize, I do know someone with 6 and a pilot and Toyota sequoia ( both foreign so I k ow that's no help) but I guess it's possible. My brother's family unsized from an 8 passenger savana to a 12 pass Nissan NV :love:

NVMBR02

The freestyle is the crossover correct? My friend has one and we were able to get the 5 kids we have between us in it, with a similar set up. We had a hbb and a bb in the back, and a bb, ffing away and rfing seat in the center row. It was
doable but probably not something I would care to to on my own. Our older two kids could flip the seat to get to the back on their own ( both 8) . I think something with captains chairs would be easier on a daily basis, though we use the third row in our Pilot everyday and don't have an issue with it.

melniemi

We have an 8 pass Yukon and flip a seat daily because I have 2 in back and 3 in center. A backless is easy to move.

I'm sold in an 8 pass Sienna, 06-08 most likely. Now to find one.....

Thanks!!

SynEpona

The 7 passenger Freestyle is 3 in the middle row, and 2 in the 3rd row.

I have the 6 passenger (2006), and it's excellent for 5 passengers + driver day to day (We only have 3-4 in in most times now, but it was full when I did daycare)

I'm not sure how squishy the center row would be, and it's going to be a pain to have to remove the booster to flip the seat for access to the 3rd row. You won't be able to put 3 boosters in the back, as there's only 2 seat belts, your 3 across needs to be in the 2nd row.

kathysr98

Keeyamah said:
I have a 2004 one, and no way in h-e double hockey sticks are you gonna be able to do that, unless it has a VERY different back seat than what I have. My 3rd row sucks, you might be able to do 3 Bubble Bums in the back, but not the boosters you have. And the only place you could fit the other 2 is in the middle row, due to the width of the seats (vehicle and car). My DH initially suggested a Tahoe or Expedition (and other similar SUV's), but the access to the 3rd row would be difficult with the number of car seats you have. He is a car detailer and has to climb around in these cars every day at work, so when it comes to accessing back rows, he's got a good idea of what it takes.

The Freestyle was introduced in 2005 & has 2 seats in the third row. I believe you are thinking of the Freestar, a minivan.

To the OP, yes, the seats will likely fit without much trouble, though you may need to swap your RF to a Radian. The third row is very wide, so I'd put the FR there. Whether to put your RF back there as well would depend on personal preference. I would definitely put a backless on the 40 section of the second row so it can be moved easily to fold & flip for access to the third. The middle seat in the second doesn't have an adjustable headrest, so you'll need a hb or harnessed seat in that spot. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to help.

Keeyamah

The Freestyle was introduced in 2005 & has 2 seats in the third row. I believe you are thinking of the Freestar, a minivan.

Yeah, I just realized that. They all sound SOOOOO much alike, and I am not a car person at all. I still hate my 3rd row though, lol.

monstah

melniemi said:
Is it a true 7 passenger? 2 backless boosters, 1 hbb, 1 fr 85 and 1 rfing bv70. Possible or complete pain on a daily basis?

Thanks!

It's possible but there are a few catches. You can fit a very narrow LBB second row center. It's a narrow spot with a rigid forward of the bight belt stalk and there are two plastic hinges that stick into the seat. You're probably going to have to put the other LBB next to it behind the driver and slide them both onto the floor to get to the third row.

Driver / Passenger
LBB/LBB/RFBV
HBB/FR85

You'll probably want the shortest torso in a LBB center since the belt comes out of the seat back and rotate the smallest LBB rider to that spot as the kids grow. That seat is NOT comfortable without a LBB. I'm 125#, 5'5" and wear a size 4 jeans. I had to sit in it over the weekend - because it's so narrow, I was pushed into the rigid belt stalk so the lap belt wouldn't slide freely. I had to lift my butt off the seat and pull the shoulder belt hard to try to get a snug lap belt fit as I lowered my backside into the seat. And I couldn't sit straight. My hips were pushed at an angle and it was unavoidable unless I took off my seat belt so by the end of the drive, I was in a bit of pain. It sucked. But since it seems like you might have a LBB rider there for many years, it should work fine. My DS loves sitting there in his BB. He has the floor hump to rest his feet on and can see everything. The only reason it's not his full time spot is because he can't thread the belt out of the BB belt guide himself. The lite rider won't fit there next to the GN so he's still banished to the third row. :p

kathysr98 said:
To the OP, yes, the seats will likely fit without much trouble, though you may need to swap your RF to a Radian. The third row is very wide, so I'd put the FR there. Whether to put your RF back there as well would depend on personal preference. I would definitely put a backless on the 40 section of the second row so it can be moved easily to fold & flip for access to the third. The middle seat in the second doesn't have an adjustable headrest, so you'll need a hb or harnessed seat in that spot. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to help.

I wonder when they changed the headrest? Mine adjusts. I have an 06.

You would try to fit a harnessed seat on the 60 instead of the two LBB's? I didn't even think of that-

Driver/Passenger
RFRN/LBB/Booster
Booster/FR85

Or 3 boosters middle row / RF'er and FR third row...

Last edited:

keri1292

We have one as DH's car, so kids secondary ride. I couldn't handle it on a daily basis. There is very little cargo room. But I have a stroller to contend with. Groceries for a large family would need to be spread throughout the vehicle. We have the 6 passenger and I think 3rd row access could be difficult in the 7 seater. We could also never pack light enough to take it for anything more than a two day trip. But we love it for quick trips and running errands. The kids prefer it over the minivan. The third row is great for car seats and my 11yo 5 steps in the back. It's been a great car and hasn't given us any trouble. Have you seen it in person yet?

monstah

I suppose I should add that I can not wait to get rid of it. Plans are to trade it in for a Pilot this fall. Fingers crossed!

melniemi

Thanks for the input :). I just found an 08 8 pass Sienna that I'm going to go check out. The Freestyle doesn't sound worth checking into! I'll tell dh it won't fit us, lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC