Question for those of you with older erf and older booster riders...

soph's mom

How do you handle any teasing from other kids for car seat use? And how do you handle the requests from them to be like their friends?

ADS

atw

I don't think peer pressures a thing for my daughter (3 in a few weeks), but every old kid that sees her seat asks why she sits like a baby or faces backward.

Then they sit in her seat and like it. I'm more worried about how long she will need a booster.

I'm not helpful for this question though. I guess I just hope to instill in my kids the same sense of indignation I have! :) the righteous piece helps too...

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
We've never had peer perssure for my 4.5 yo rearfacer... who would tease him? He only ever rides with us. And my 7.5 yo is in a backless, which is our compromise, so she is okay with it.

Nimommyof2

I've honestly never run into it:) I'm not aware my children have either though my son who is in a booster to be honest most of his friends he travels with our as well. My son is 8 and has never said anything to me about that happening. Another thing is I do run a dayhome so they see other children their age in carseat all the time. My son did ask why he couldn't go into a booster even though kids younger than him were as he didn't weigh 40lbs till he was 6.5 I just talked to him about how it wasn't safe or legal etc... and that I wanted him to be safe as I loved him etc... My son is in a highback.

Nimommyof2

Should add my daughter does want to ride in the 4yr old FF facing seat sometimes which I have let her for three blocks but I have other RF in the vehicle so I think she just thinks its normal to RF. She is 3

christineka

My daughters rode in high back boosters until 12 years and almost 11. My son still rides harnessed- even right next to another boy his age in no booster or in a backless. My 12 year old even rode in a booster with other kids her age! No one has breathed a word about it.

I haven't driven around any kids younger than 7, so no peers for my little erfing kids.

mommyx4

I'm anxious to see the replies this gets. I just ran into this today with my 9 year old dd. Out of all of her friends, she and one other are the only ones that ride in boosters. We came to an agreement that when she rides with a friend, I take the back off of her Monterey. I guess she feels a backless is less babyish :shrug-shoulders:

tiggercat

I haven't had a problem with it, even though my eldest was in a booster until 10/11 depending o the vehicle. He took a backless when possible, but otherwise he never mentioned an issue. I did talk with him about it as he got older and gave him permission to use an out with his friends "yeah, my overprotective mom" with an eye roll if there was any teasing, but afaik he never used it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

skylinphoto

Unfortunately, the only teasing my kids have had to deal with was from older family members (grandparents and great grandparents). I either speak up for them and remind my family not to undermine me or question my decisions in front of my kids...or my kids speak up and just simply say "I sit like this because its safer".

Brianna

J will be 3 in September and a few of his friends/playmates have asked why he rides rear facing, I just tell them because he still fits that way and he's very comfortable like that. To my knowledge he hasn't been teased for it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

kathysr98

Josie is four & is only RF in my car. She occasionally asks about it & I tell her we will turn her seat the other way when she is too tall to sit RF. Mostly she loves being able to look at her friends in the third row, so she only asks about it when they haven't ridden lately.

leighi123

Ds will be 5 on friday, and its never ever been an issue with kids. I've had some adults look at me like I'm nuts, but never with Levi there.

careynj

I have no kids, just nieces and nephews, but I agree with the pp that said the teasing comes from family :thumbsdown: my sister's fire fighter bf always comments on my 9 yo nephew being in a booster. My 10 year old niece is in a booster too ( back in after 2 years out ) and I don't think any of her friends know. She's not happy about it, but her mom knows it is safer.

StillThankful

DD1 is still harnessed (not rfing though) and her bff asked why she was still in a car seat last week. Her Bff said that she uses the seatbelt (booster). DD1 just replied that she has one like that too (I have a Compass B540? For her as well as a spare).

That was the end of it though.

:shrug:

rxmommy

We have yet to face this at all, but I think our time is coming soon, because Olivia's probably the last of her friends riding in a booster. She's the youngest in her class and will be 8 in August. She rides in a backless (although she prefers a HB for trips) so her friends won't see it, but for carpools, she's gonna be dragging along a booster. Hopefully her cool purple blow-up booster will help a bit..:cool:

manitobamimi

I used to get a lot of the "when are you going to turn that poor baby forward facing", "you have them strapped in too tightly", "its rediculous that the Manitoba govenment wants to make boosters mandatory until age 8" etc, from the grandparents/BIL/SIL. They have since given up trying to change my opinion on the subject and I have since given up trying to get them to attach their carseat's harness straps to the spilter plate rather than tying them in a knot behind the carseat shell. :rolleyes: Sometimes they start up again, however I'm beyond the "being polite" stage now. I simply say to them, "B" was the same age, weight and height as "R" and we all see what not using a booster seat resulted in (she was paralized from the chest down last year in a head on collision) Its your choice whether you want to put your kid in a booster seat, but you have to be able to live with the consequences of your actions. A and K would give anything to go back and make a different choice, they don't get to, you do, so do what you want, but personally I want to make sure that my child is in the best position to come out of a crash uninjured. They don't like it, and yes i understand i'm probably being a *****, but at this point i just don't care anymore.:mad:

my daughter asks frequently to go without a booster, i simply tell her that she can when she fits and adult seatbelt, and that if she still needs a booster when she's 10 she can use a backless booster seat full time. She seems happy enough with that.

my 2 year old, I bribe with holding a kitten while I buckle her in, once she's buckled she's fine and doesn't fight it.

ElfJewel

The only kids we ever drive with are from their dance class. M's best friend is 1 week older than she is and tiny, and she rides in a booster (I just got her a new nbtb because she was using our hbb and I wanted it back, and she was excited about it). One friend is 10 and BIG (5 steps in every car I've seen her in) and one is 14. Only 2 girls (big 6 and 8 year olds, but still should be in boosters) don't use them at home. No one has ever teased them or said they shouldn't use their seats (except FIL, but he doesn't talk to them about it, he just complains to me)

jacqui276

DD hasn't been teased at all for riding in a booster and I am happy to say that all of her friends who she has driven with also still ride in boosters! DD's booster is backless though.

My 5 year old niece rides RFing in my car (because it works the easiest if I do 3 across in my backseat to have my radian RFing due to tether placement and the other seats involved and she is a peanut so still fits) and she thinks that it is pretty cool!

emandbri

No one ever gave Elizabeth trouble about rear-facing (she was until 4 1/2) but a little girl in girl scouts asked her why she was in "a baby seat" (5 point nautilus) and another who I watched one day couldn't figure out how she and Elizabeth were the same age but rode in different seats. Elizabeth was in her harnesses nautilus, I had her in Benjamin's Monterey, and she normally rides in a backless booster. I think every other girl in scouts rides in a backless booster, they were all in kindergarten last year.

I admit I want to move Elizabeth to a booster because of girl scouts when school starts again. She turned 6 yesterday, is 46 inches, and 52 lbs. I know she would do fine in one I'm just not in love with any on the market right now.

No one ever gave the boys trouble, Jacob and Daniel both used a backless booster until they started middle school. Daniel was in a high back until 10, he wanted to stay in a high back but his legs were so long he fit better backless. Benjamin will be 9 next month and is in a high back but has used backless ones in friend's cars.

soph's mom

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to see there hasn't been a lot of teasing going on. Now that my DD is approaching 2 (and looks 3) I'm starting to get more questions from family members about turning her. I watched an episode of Wife Swap that had the "new mom" bashing older kids use of boosters and letting them destroy them later in the show... Ugh!

*edit and rant warning*
I am looking at my next seat for my daughter when most people are pushing the limits of what they have counting the days til they can put their kids in a booster. I'm still debating getting a radian and frontier later or a foonf...

I have given up on trying to convert friends. I have convinced one to keep her 2 year old rear faced (although they have the cheap evenflo seat tethered rf and straps on both the toddler and newborn so loose I can take them out with it on... I gave up trying, he says tight looks uncomfortable and she laughs and says "I know it's bad"). I'd say they will turn before too long. One of the babies I watch was turned right at a year :bang head: and the mom blames the dad but we all know she probably could've put her foot down... Sorry for the rant.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC