Is my RA50 unusable now?

essnce629

Is my RA50 unusable now? UPDATE in #30

So I posted not too long ago about letting my friend borrow my RA50 and how she washed the harness in the washing machine and then her daughters ripped up the eps foam (she offered to order new parts).
www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=224934

Well I finally got the seat back from her yesterday and she also managed to lose the comfort foam and one of the rectangular foam pieces covered by the "do not remove" sticker, AND she got the versa tether caught in her car tire and shredded the end of it!!!!!! :eek: Then when I pulled back the cover I noticed that the 3 rows of red stitching on one of the versa tether ends that attaches to the seat had been ripped through. When the tether got caught in her tire it must have pulled the tether so hard that it ripped through the stitching!!! In the manual it says that the seat must be discarded if the red stitching has been ripped through, but is this only if the seat has been in a crash? Is it possible to get a new tether? Or is my seat just trash at this point? I'm soooooo glad that this was the RA50 that I got during that awesome Target clearance for $48 awhile back or else I'd be even more fuming right now. Should I just throw out the seat and have her pay me the $48 + tax that I originally paid? So bummed right now that my perfectly good seat that was worth $150+ was destroyed.

Last edited:
ADS

StillThankful

Oh goodness...it's worse than It thought:( What the heck was she doing--wrestling with it?

I'd get the $48 and be done with it. I wouldn't use that seat anymore even if you paid me to do it.

Lesson--no more loaners to her.

Last edited:

Pixels

My inclination is that yes, it's trash. The tether strap pulled on the shell hard enough to rip the stitching. You could call Britax and ask for confirmation but I wouldn't use it.

Jessica61624

I'd ask her to replace it at this point. It doesn't matter you only paid $48 you can't replace it for that much. I wouldn't use the seat. Who knows what else she did. And I hope you don't let her borrow one again!

PikkuMyy

I'd ask her to replace it at this point. It doesn't matter you only paid $48 you can't replace it for that much. I wouldn't use the seat. Who knows what else she did. And I hope you don't let her borrow one again!

:yeahthatmad:

I don't understand how someone can let *someone else's* car seat get messed up in so many ways and doesn't offer to replace it! I would definitely not use it.

rosey2007

Jessica61624 said:

I agree with that

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Oh my word I would be so angry about that. How ridiculously careless and selfish. I would definitely ask for what I was out; it's just unfortunate that you'll never be able to buy a new one for that price, but at least you'll have what you paid for it.

tl01

I wouldn't use it:(. I'd ask her to replace and at minimum give you what you paid for it.

jacqui276

Wow I would be livid! I would ask her to replace it with a new one. I can't believe someone would be so careless with another person's things!!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would be asking FULL price. It doesn't matter what deal you got. You can't get it now.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I would be asking FULL price. It doesn't matter what deal you got. You can't get it now.

This exactly. How can you be so careless with anything, let alone something that does not belong to you? I would not be lending her anything ever again and I would not leave my child alone with her either.

hrice

Judi said:

I totally agree. That is awful. I wouldn't be able to stay friends with someone do disrespectful of my things.

jennlana

How on earth do you get the tether stuck in a tire?!? I'm sorry she was treated your seat like that. It would make me so angry.

This isn't carseat related, but I'm done lending things to people. It either comes back broken or dirty.

essnce629

Thanks everyone for weighing in on the situation. I'll have to think about what I'm going to ask from her. She doesn't even know that the seat is unusable yet as I didn't realize the full condition of it till after I got home and I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on here first before letting her know. I would agree that she was extremely careless with the seat knowing that it was not hers and she was only borrowing it till I needed it for DS2 again. I don't know if I can ask full price from her though. She's recently a single mom-- husband left and moved home to TX (we're in CA) and she's home with two DD's ages 3 and 5. She's out of work right now and her only income is child support from her ex and money that her mom and grandpa give her-- which is why I loaned her the seat in the first place since the one her DD was in before was almost outgrown. We've been friends for 17 years if that matters.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Why would she possiblely treat your seat that way? After being friends for so long? I had one come back meh. It had glitter and butter on it. Other than that, no issues.

Jessica61624

jennlana said:
How on earth do you get the tether stuck in a tire?!? I'm sorry she was treated your seat like that. It would make me so angry.

This isn't carseat related, but I'm done lending things to people. It either comes back broken or dirty.

I was thinking the same thing. How did it get close to a moving tire? I don't understand.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My DH's comment was "It sounds like she could break a bowling ball."

I think what you ask of her just depends on how charitable you feel. You could just not loan her things any more (give them to her if you can afford to, but don't ever expect them back). Or you could ask her to pay you for what you spent on the seat (there are always other awesome deals to be had on seats). Or you could ask her to replace it. It's your choice. All three are reasonable options. Asking her to replace it is not unreasonable, but if you know she can't do it financially then there's probably no point in it.

Pixels

Jessica61624 said:
I was thinking the same thing. How did it get close to a moving tire? I don't understand.

I've heard it several times, especially with Britax seats. The tether strap is so long on them. If you aren't careful, it can fall outside the vehicle and get shut in the door. Then when you start driving, it ends up under the back wheel.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sounds like her plate is quite full and while yes it's disrespectful most likely not intentional. Some parents just don't truly respect that car seats need TLC either. The tether is long and a common (I've heard that more than once) issue getting stuck outside the car.

What you do to remedy is up to you but I would not use the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC