Have a Britax ??

Amandaplus4

Ok need a quick answer I just found out there is a tech event today right by my house I want to go. I know one of the techs and her own car seat usage is horrid and she installed a friends baby rf with straps above the shoulder ekk so I want to go in and see how she does. Plus hopefully meet the lady who was able to get me into a closed class in october. I wanna take my rf Britax roundabout 55 with my 2 1/2 yr old in it :) my ? is about the rear tether the driver and passenger seats have plastic guards over the metal so i cannot use them, so I was wondering if I were to move him to the 3rd row and put my daughter in her booster in the row in front of him could I use that ancor to rear tether the seat since its being unused??

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would be fine using a designated FF tether for a RF seat in the 3rd row provided that seat is not occupied - put your booster rider in a different seat and that's fine!

Amandaplus4

I would be fine using a designated FF tether for a RF seat in the 3rd row provided that seat is not occupied - put your booster rider in a different seat and that's fine!

what if she was in the seat thats its tethered to since her booster is not latched?

tiggercat

Pixelated said:

Jen, why does it matter if the seat in front is occupied as long as the anchor point is not being used?
I ask because I have a Radian in my 2nd row capt chair and one in the third row behind it (both RF) and I have used the 2nd row anchor for the 3rd row seat. I have never heard or considered that it might be an issue to do so?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Jen, why does it matter if the seat in front is occupied as long as the anchor point is not being used?

I wonder the same thing. When we tether to front seat leg posts nobody says that means the front seat can't be occupied. :confused:

I would have no issue at all using that tether point as long as it wasn't needed for a FF harnessed child in that seating position.

christineka

I've been advised to not use 2nd row tethers for rfing seats because in a crash, the 2nd row seat might move and the rfing tether might change how things are supposed to move around. I have an easy tether anchor spot for the rfing seat in the third row, so I just use that.

arly1983

I've been advised to not use 2nd row tethers for rfing seats because in a crash, the 2nd row seat might move and the rfing tether might change how things are supposed to move around. I have an easy tether anchor spot for the rfing seat in the third row, so I just use that.

Could the same be said of using the leg of an occupied seat as a tether point?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I've been advised to not use 2nd row tethers for rfing seats because in a crash, the 2nd row seat might move and the rfing tether might change how things are supposed to move around.

In my hasty response this morning, the above was my thought process. But it was just my own thinking and I have no substantiated reason to say yes or no, other than to be very conservative with it. But I am also very hesitant to RF tether in general, and don't do it to the front seat track. So I admit to RF bias and will read the rest of this thread with interest.

Christenka - where did that advisory come from?

tiggercat

Pixelated said:
In my hasty response this morning, the above was my thought process. But it was just my own thinking and I have no substantiated reason to say yes or no, other than to be very conservative with it. But I am also very hesitant to RF tether in general, and don't do it to the front seat track. So I admit to RF bias and will read the rest of this thread with interest.

Christenka - where did that advisory come from?

In my mental play through of where my seats would move in a collision, I just don't see how it would cause a problem. The 2nd row would move forward, but so would the 3rd row seat, radian would be rotating down. Actually, it is already braced, so I guess it would move with the second row seat. Rebound would occur, both seats are tethered, so no contact between them is likely. Kids who ride in them are both >2 years, so I am not really concerned about neck loading from reducing rebound. I very very rarely have front passengers, so tethering to the seat track doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I've always thought it was when tethering to a seat belt or belt stalk that it must be unused. I don't think a tether anchor on an used seat is the same thing. I would be OK with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC