Would you FF her?

DD is 3 yrs, 10 months old. She will 4 on September 6.
Stats are current in my siggy (39" tall, 32 lbs if you can't see siggys).

I ff'd her for the past 2 weeks because we had an infant foster placement and it was easier to load everyone up into the car. Now that baby has gone home, I told her I was going to fix her seat so it was rearfacing again. She asked to stay facing the windshield. She's asked periodically on and off for months now to FF, but I told her we'd talk about it when she turned 4. But now that I ff'd her for 2 1/2 weeks, I feel like I am considering leaving her FF.
However, she has LOADS of room left to RF in her radian.

WWYD?

ADS

ProudMommysince09

To be honest, me personally, I'd just leave her FF. She asked to stay that way and she might change her mind again (mine does that lol).
This might not be the most popular opinion on the board, but her birthday is only 2 months away :).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
She's close enough to four, I'd leave it alone. Just tell her if she changes her mind she can let you know.

Well she is very excited to stay FF. Haha.
Is it weird that she is on the same slots FF as she was RF? I don't know how that's possible, but the straps are definitely coming out above her shoulders.

DSCF2246.jpg

DSCF2248.jpg

momtoo3

Ds3 will be 4 Sept 18th and is about 37.5 inches tall and 31 pounds. He has been FF since last Nov. We tried FF because he was having a lot of leg pain, especially after riding in the car for a long time. It didn't help his legs at all but when I went to turn him back RF he threw a huge fit and I couldn't even strap him in. He was close to outgrowing his MA70 RF so I caved and let him go FF full time. He was already FF in dh's car. I think making it to close to 4 is great! I wouldn't make her RF at this point unless she wanted to.

java

Correct me if I am wrong...but when ffing the same slots could very well be above her shoulders. When rfing they ride a slight bit higher in the seat because of the angle.

Very sweet girly btw <3

boneheaderss

I disagree with what others have said.

I would turn her back rear facing and leave her rear facing until she has truly outgrown the seat.

Ask yourself, "If I were in a crash today (a side impact), which way would I want her to face?"

I want to avoid regrets if (heaven forbid) you were in a crash tomorrow. You would never be able to live with yourself if something happened to her and you know which way is safer.

SignCuer

boneheaderss said:
I disagree with what others have said.

I would turn her back rear facing and leave her rear facing until she has truly outgrown the seat.

Ask yourself, "If I were in a crash today (a side impact), which way would I want her to face?"

I want to avoid regrets if (heaven forbid) you were in a crash tomorrow. You would never be able to live with yourself if something happened to her and you know which way is safer.

I do agree with you but she is safe in a FF, tethered seat as long there's no misuse.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
She is adorable!!!! I am 100% comfortable with an almost 4yo FFing in a properly used seat. :twocents:

agave

I had planned on 4 too but a temporary turn at 3 yrs 8 months accidentally turned permanent.

zeo2ski

I'd probably stick by what I'd said before and tell her when she's 4 she can choose what way.

I agree. Aside from the safety aspect, you are now dealing with a parental authority issue. Does she understand that she was only FF because of the baby being there? If so then she can easily understand that the baby is gone and she goes back RF til you discuss it again at age 4. But I also don't think she's unsafe FF.

boneheaderss

I do agree with you but she is safe in a FF, tethered seat as long there's no misuse.
I am well aware that she is very safe in a front facing car seat that is properly installed especially with it top tethered, but *I* would prefer rear facing until she has genuinely outgrown the seat. She has many years ahead of her when she can front face...

Little Ps Mama

I'd wait til her bday. Our kids are almost the same age 9/4/08 bday) and 4 is my hard min for full time FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

G

guest1

Personally I would not forward face her, but that has nothing to do with the birthday. Only reason is my personal preference is to RF until the seat has been outgrown rear facing.

Suzibeck

I would rf until her birthday.

My 4yo is ff in dh's car for a rare ride and rf in the van, her daily ride. She would like to ff full time but I told her I'd turn her at age 5. My dd is tiny, all of 28#. She will still fit rf at age 5 but she can turn full time then, if she still wants to. My dd is also in the same slots rf and ff in her XT. They are right at her sholders when rf and slightly above when ff. Magical moving slots.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
If you are happy with her ff, leave her ff. I have no issue with an almost 4 year old ff but then again my ds was ff at age 3.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC