Theoretical future car seat situation

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So... if everything goes according to plan, hopefully we'll be needing to squeeze two car seats and a teenager in the back of the 2005 Civic starting sometime next summer.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of this problem.

My daughter is closing in on 23 months old, and currently weighs about 31 lbs. Ideally I'd like to RF her to age four, but she's been picking up speed rather than slowing down where size is concerned. If this trend continues she may end up too big to RF by age three or so anyway - which actually would sort of solve a problem for me.

Right now I have her RFing in a Radian 80SL in the center seat. Our front seats can't be more than about two clicks forward at the most, because everyone else in the family is tall. I can use the Radian outboard if I add an angle adjuster, but I like it in the center. If I don't use the angle adjuster in the center, my front seats have to be ALL the way back in order to brace it, otherwise it over-reclines.

So, here are my options for two car seats using seats I currently own (they must be side by side; I have to leave a side open for a teenager). I am open to other suggestions for other car seats, but seriously my stash is so large I'd really rather just keep the ones I have.

1) RF Radian center, Small convertible (Coccoro or RA55) outboard
2) RF Radian center, baseless Onboard Air outboard
3) FF Radian outboard, Onboard Air with base center
4) FF Radian outboard, RF convertible (Coccoro or Radian) center
5) I *think* a RF Radian outboard with angle adjuster and a RF Coccoro center will probably work.
6) A RF Radian outboard with angle adjuster and an Onboard Air with base Center sorta kinda works but both seats are badly off-kilter when I do it that way.

Have I missed any options? I also own a CA65, but I really hate it in the Civic.

I don't really need to think past the infant stage; by the time "next baby" is too big for an Onboard or Coccoro, DD will almost certainly be too big for RF and I can do a FF/RF Radian combo (and by then the teens will probably both be off to college anyway).

And no, I'm not pregnant. Merely in the planning stages.
Which brings up another hypothetical question: should I end up with twins, is my only viable option a new car with a wider back seat?

ADS

Jessica61624

Well it sounds like you've got enough options that you could try everything and see what you like best. At 3 I'd be ok with FF. Once they hit 2 it seems like their growth slows way down. DS has been the same weight for months now and his legs are growing rather than his torso.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think you've thought about this way too much! ;)

There's such a thing as thinking about car seats too much? :confused: ;)

Well it sounds like you've got enough options that you could try everything and see what you like best. At 3 I'd be ok with FF. Once they hit 2 it seems like their growth slows way down. DS has been the same weight for months now and his legs are growing rather than his torso.

I have tried everything. I can't decide what is the best. I really want to use the infant seat with a base, but as near as I can tell that won't be an option with two RF seats in the Civic unless I live with badly skewed/crooked seats. I guess what I'm really asking is: Keep both kids RF and sacrifice the convenience of the bucket/base combo, (and either use the infant seat baseless or use a convertible from birth), or turn DD to FF at age 3 for no other reason than pure convenience (because she should still fit and still be happy RF)?

You mean with all those seats, you're not going to just change the set up on a weekly basis? :p

Hah! Well, maybe not weekly... I still have to find time to change diapers and breast feed. ;)

caritas

Is the Civic back seat much smaller than an Accord?
My MIL has an Accord (I think 06) and I've fit a Tribute and a Diplomat side by side with me behind the driver. It was a bit cramped, but wasn't awful - and only an hour trip from the airport. It seems that any puzzle mixture would be far superior than what I had going on.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yes, it's that much smaller. :(
For reference, the only way to get three Radians across the back (or even two side by side) is to alternate their directions. I think the only three of the same seat which would be able to fit across the back in the same direction would be Coccoros.

I'm told you can do Radian-My Ride-Radian all facing the same direction, but that's because they overlap.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What about a Foonf? I wonder whether that would fit RF outboard with the bucket/base in the center. I need to measure my Radian to see how high up it becomes wider than a foonf.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC