Would you use a non latchable booster FT?

Heather98012

So....the Monty, Olli, & Safeguard Go don't work in booster mode in my SUV because the shoulder belt doesn't fit well. My kid REALLY wants to go backless & at 4'5.75" & 71 lbs...I'm ok with it.

The Harmony Cruz fits pretty well, actually. I may try a TB or Cosco Top Side but I'm pretty happy with the fit of the Cruz. So...would you use a non-latchable booster in the car your child rides in 90% of the time? Full disclosure: I know she won't buckle it every time she gets out. That's just real life.

So...am I crazy for considering letting her ride in it, or should I keep her in her Frontier? (This would make my life easier as well since in her Frontier she can't buckle herself in without locking the belt & the idea of not having to unthread the belt & redo it daily or having to buckle her in each & every time is appealing to me.)

Here she is in the Cruz.

Last edited:
ADS

SignCuer

I would and I have. I have a 1996 Ford Windstar which obviously have no LATCH. If it fits her well, then go for it.

Heather98012

What is making me second guess myself is that I have a perfectly good Frontier that latches. But she really would like to be backless & be more independent (if you can call it that) by buckling herself in. Heading into 2nd grade & given her height/weight, I'm ok with it. But then I think booster sliding around might drive me insane.

Heather98012

Do you think you'd remember to remind her to re-buckle it as she's getting out?

Yes, but the drop off line at school is crazy & honestly, there isn't time for her to unbuckle herself, buckle it back up, & grab her backpack. The staff opening doors & getting kids unloaded want it done super fast.

arly1983

I would let her use it. I don't think the cruz will slide around because the belt would get stuck in the hole on the sides.

Thats exactly what the belt does on ours. I sparkly heart LOVE the cruz! Its our full time backless (at similar age/weight/height). We love it so much we have been moving it around between 3 cars even thought I have countless backless boosters. I will admit though that I have latch, I have yet to see a booster that I could use in my 3 across with the offset latch anchors. So both my boosters are never latched. I just buckle them. Not every time but its becoming more memorable.

jacqui276

All 3 of DD's boosters don't latch so yes I would. There are times where it isn't buckled or tucked in front of the seat on the floor since we sometimes forget. I was in a pretty decent accident while it was in my car and had forgotten to buckle it in. It just slid forward, hit the seat in front, and resumed it's spot back where it normally rests. I would imagine in a side impact or roll-over collision it would be a more dangerous projectile though.

sirrahn

Absolutely. That's a great belt fit!

We really like the Cruz too, and I'll admit it pretty much never gets buckled back in. The armrest design holds pretty firmly to the seatbelt, and it's lightweight and hollow. I honestly have never given it a second thought.

Heather98012

Oh, you are all gems! My daughter is soooo wanting to be full time backless & the 2 Montereys I have work great in my hubby's car & my mom's SUV, but not in mine. And I've tried 3 others as well in backless mode & none worked well until I got the Cruz today.

Whew....now I can rest easy knowing I'm not a total flake for using the Cruz when I know it likely won't get buckled in every time (or...never...LOL). I am pretty happy with the fit & my daughter is over the moon. She said "I feel like a big kid now!" :love:

Ah, you guys have made one girl very happy with your help. Thanks again for all the advice, esp. considering I am only on here about once or twice a year. You guys rock! :bow:

Last edited:

rachelandtyke

DD uses a Vivo full time and a HBTB in DH's car, and neither are latchable. But we love both seats, so that's what we'll stay with. They don't get rebuckled all the time, but we try to remind her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Absolutely. That's a great belt fit!

We really like the Cruz too, and I'll admit it pretty much never gets buckled back in. The armrest design holds pretty firmly to the seatbelt, and it's lightweight and hollow. I honestly have never given it a second thought.

Yeah, of the rare booster I've had ever slide anywhere in my car, the Cruz has never been one of them :D Love that hook-shaped armrest :)

Kat_Momof3

with how wide her shoulders are, it's a good fit. that far from the neck on my daughter and the belt would be totally off her shoulder... SIGH.

all my current boosters ARE unlatchable, so guess that answers your question :love:

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I don't own a latchable booster and my kids boosters are rarely buckled in! The belts snag up usually, and even after hard breaks and such, they don't slide far. I don't loose any sleep thinking about it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC