Question boosters

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I think the list may be shorter for those that require head support as most HBB do not.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That list needing support has expanded recently: at least Dorel, SK/Diono, and Recaro. I feel like I'm forgetting one, so maybe more?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
That list needing support has expanded recently: at least Dorel, SK/Diono, and Recaro. I feel like I'm forgetting one, so maybe more?

Ummm....what do you mean Recaro??? I have 2 ProBoosters and it doesn't say anything in the manual and I have not received any notice from Recaro that states anything to the contrary....surely if they made a change that was retroactive, we would be notified correct? But ours, if it doesn't prohibit it (per the manual), are fine...right?

Carrie_R

No. After the Diono/SK head support thing went down, a bunch of folks emailed the various manufacturers. Despite the fact that the ProBooster manual says to remove the headrest if it interferes, Recaro says that there must be head support behind their boosters (I believe both the ProBooster and the Vivo, although I would search for the thread instead of taking my word on it.) People were NOT happy when it came out and I believe it was a huge thread so it shouldn't be hard to find.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm sorry, but without searching for the thread, how can my manual not be correct? If a change is made, they would have to notify us. Otherwise, the manual should stand for our particular seats. The manufacturers can't go making changes and not notify the owners.

Carrie_R

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Kay - but at the same time, if Recaro says "take it off" and "leave it on," I feel like I have to go with the more conservative of the two - despite the fact that I feel like that advice is contradictory to what's permitted in the manual. KWIM?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Kay - but at the same time, if Recaro says "take it off" and "leave it on," I feel like I have to go with the more conservative of the two - despite the fact that I feel like that advice is contradictory to what's permitted in the manual. KWIM?

But if I hadn't stumbled upon this thread, as a Recaro owner, I would of had no way of knowing. My manual says I can remove the headrest in my vehicle, not that I did, as it doesn't have any. So I'm supposed to believe a thread online instead of my manual when the manufacturer of my seat has not notified me of a change as important as this?

If I can't use them where I need, then Recaro needs to be willing to take my seats back and give me full refund. Because when I bought them, I could use them in the exact spot I'm using them per my manual.

I shouldn't have to call the manufacturer of my seats every month to see if they decided to make any changes to how my seats are to be used, but don't bother to notify their customers.

Looks like I will be calling Recaro today to verify for myself.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Recaro says the manual doesn't explicitly state you can remove the headrest http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=225013

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

And my Recaro manual says you can. Is this for new seats? It's possible they've made a structural design change and the new ones require the support. But the manual for my seat, says I can remove the headrest. If I can remove the headrest, I can use it in a position without one. No where in my manual does it say that the seat must have headrest support. No where.

christineka

The probooster manual does say you can remove the headrest- unless they changed it since they emailed me the manual in response to my question about needing head support. They changed their mind about a month later. The vivo manual is the one that doesn't say anything about the headrest.

Baylor

christineka said:
The probooster manual does say you can remove the headrest- unless they changed it since they emailed me the manual in response to my question about needing head support. They changed their mind about a month later. The vivo manual is the one that doesn't say anything about the headrest.

Yet my email from RECARO says that the vivo and pb both need headrest support.

I have the email if you would like to read it.

auto correct hates me

Baylor

Our ProBooster and VIVO seats require vehicle headrest support behind them. Should this cause a small gap between the vehicle seat and the booster back, a towel may be folded to fill the gap.

Hope this helps.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Carol Ruscoe
Customer Service Associate

auto correct hates me

Baylor

This is clarification I received from the engineer:

"You can remove the headrest as long as the child's head is equal to the vehicle seat back. If the child's head is above then discontinue use. "

If a gap is formed with the vehicle headrest installed, then the use of a folded towel to fill the gap is an option.

Again, only you can make a final decision.

Thank you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Carol Ruscoe
Customer Service Associate

auto correct hates me

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
A folded towel??? FML

ANYONE WANNA BUY A VIVO???? (not really, but I have to pull the headrest to make it work)... grrrr

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC