Advice for a friend

tl01

I have a friend whose mom has a VW EOS. I'm guessing since it is a convertible that there are no tether anchors... Havent chrcked my LaTCh maunal but dont know the yeaf of ghe car either. Given the small back seat... The lack of distance front to back plus the lack of tether anchors , it seems like this vehicle is a poor choice for FFing a child. Currently their seat for him would be a classic MA. I have warned her about the possible concerns about the classica MA FFing. Her mom wants a new car but is holding out on the purchase of another car based upon a few reasons but I'm sure she could be swayed. Would you feel comfortable FFing a kid in a car with no top tether and very little front to back distance? If they keep the current car, I'm thinking radian assuming it fits bc of how much thinner it is and the seemingly better performance without a tether.

ADS

Lenae

I have no answers, except to say my '01 Mustang convertible does have top tethers. They are on the seatback of the vehicle seat, so it could be possible for your friend's mom to have them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can they put kid in the front all the way back and tether to the rear belt? Otherwise, probably not until a RSTV is an option.

tl01

I have no answers, except to say my '01 Mustang convertible does have top tethers. They are on the seatback of the vehicle seat, so it could be possible for your friend's mom to have them.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't due to the pop up headrests for roll over collision protection. One safety feature given up for another.

tl01

Can they put kid in the front all the way back and tether to the rear belt? Otherwise, probably not until a RSTV is an option.

I'm sure they could. I wish I had seen a study or some info showing how effective tethering to the seat belt is. The child is just two years old so I'm super apprehensive.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's a tried and true solution, and the strength probably exceeds that of many tether anchors. I have no hesitations about it. The LATCH Manual has a good discussion of it.

Of course if they are in CA it is illegal. Since tethers aren't required, the seat can technically be installed properly in the rear seat so the exemption does not apply.

No way he can rear face back there? :(

tl01

It's a tried and true solution, and the strength probably exceeds that of many tether anchors. I have no hesitations about it. The LATCH Manual has a good discussion of it.

Of course if they are in CA it is illegal. Since tethers aren't required, the seat can technically be installed properly in the rear seat so the exemption does not apply.

No way he can rear face back there? :(

I know people use that tethering solution... It just seems like a lot of belt stretching could occur. Probably my own mental issue with it.

They live here so the CA part isn't an issue.

I've posted about the RFing challenges too. Mostly Gma can't really get in the back to put child in. Mobility issues in that tight spot.

I guess front seat all the same back with the tether might be the best option since he doesn't meet the age minimum for the RSTV. He just barely makes the cutoff for the weight though DS1 was well within the minimums when we bought a vest and I still didn't like the fit on him. Every kid is different though;).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, it all depends on build.

No chance she has a keyed airbag off switch for rf in the front, right? (I missed the previous threads.)

tl01

I'd have to check the car. But it isn't mentioned in the LAtCH manual so I'm guessing not. Just confirmed no TA in the back.

tl01

So if this was your friend... What would you tell her?
Front seat allll the way back with harness seat tethered to the seat belt? I'm wondering how often her mom takes front seat passengers. That might
screw up that.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, there are a lot of factors, and you'd have to talk to the mom. If it were MY kid I wouldn't want my kid in an untethered seat in a tiny back seat. So tethered in front would be the only option I could think of. That, or switch cars instead.

tl01

Yeah, there are a lot of factors, and you'd have to talk to the mom. If it were MY kid I wouldn't want my kid in an untethered seat in a tiny back seat. So tethered in front would be the only option I could think of. That, or switch cars instead.

They talked about switching cars but they decided against it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Not sure of the setup, but how would HE room be in the rear seat, passenger side, with the front passenger seat as far forward and upright as possible?

Otherwise I'd say no transport in that vehicle, I guess. :(

tl01

Not sure of the setup, but how would HE room be in the rear seat, passenger side, with the front passenger seat as far forward and upright as possible?

Otherwise I'd say no transport in that vehicle, I guess. :(

That's the only other possible option.. I think I'll have to install the seat to see. I just wish the seat could be tethered!

Carrie_R

Yeah. To add, I'd try something as low-profile as possible and with a serpentine belt path. ProSport?

Carrie_R

I'm out of town without my LATCH manual, but IIRC, the section on tether alternatives recommends using a serpentine (or "long") belt path as a tether alternative. So, yeah, given that the RN's low HE numbers are stated by the mfg, I would probably personally opt for a seat with a serpentine belt path. That means Frontier or ProSport (unless there's something I'm forgetting,) and I feel like the ProSport is a bit less thick and a more low-profile, but I haven't really put them next to each other. Plus the belt is all the way across the ProSport instead of weaving in/out the Frontier, but that's my conjecture and not published anywhere. That said, if the RN puts the child's head closer to the seatback, then maybe I would consider it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Huh, I think of the FR as lower profile. But I also haven't put them side by side.

The Frontier's method is very close to the tether-alternative LBP on the Roosevelt. I think the holding back the top is the important part. So either would do that.

I'd want to evaluate how far the seat went forward before deciding if I was ok with that even with LBP, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC