8yo fits better with adult seatbelt vs booster

ginny4

We were taking my moms car & I put in her reg NBB evenflo amp & the belt was on her arm. Tried another lower one harmony literider & the shoulder belt was still on her arm. Tried w/ guide but it wouldn't stay. I hoped she'd 5 step & she did very well. DD was thrilled I'm more OMG about it. Sniff sniff. My baby girl is growing up. It felt so weird.

BTW she's only just beyond the req for our state. 8 or 80. She's both.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

no pics? and not to worry, I'm sure it was a rare case of passing in one vehicle, not a sign she'll pass in most :D

ginny4

i was in a rush & running late so no i didn't get a pic. i told her the same thing that its just THIS car not any other. i was really really surprised. she hardly rides in that car anyway. it was just one of those days when i was stuck with the van without AC in a heat wave & my mom said take mine. I see my mom alot so the next time i'm there i will snap a pic in her car for kicks.

ginny4

It's a Jeep liberty. Not sure of year maybe a 2006 or 2007?
My newly 8yo dd is about 54" & just 80lbs

ginny4

boneheaderss said:
I'd find a booster and keep her in one until she hits puberty. Remember that the 5 step test is a minimum. Wendy describes it here: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2290023&postcount=7

Oh I know already. There is nothing she fits in with that vehicle otherwise she'd be in it. She's not in it enough to warrant a frontier as that would maybe be the only seat left as a booster she would fit in. I'm satisfied with that decision. She BARELY fits a Monterey & that's my DS's seat.

Nisha

My 7.5 yr old passes the 5 step test plus feet planted firmly on floor in a Ford Freestar mini van! :eek:
Thankfully we didn't buy one ;)

kater-tot82

My DD would be so jealous. She is 9, but only 51.5 inches tall and 57 lbs. She is begging to get out of her booster, and I told her I would check her in the vehicles we drive for 5-stepping just to humor her...I doubt she will pass though.

Kat_Momof3

It's a Jeep liberty. Not sure of year maybe a 2006 or 2007?
My newly 8yo dd is about 54" & just 80lbs

ah... yep... small vehicle seats if I remember and she's big for her age... that's how tall Damian was when he passed at age 7 in his uncle's old tiny car :D

Kat_Momof3

oh yeah, she definitely passes! I'd like (because of how tall the shoulderbelt is) to get a booster that works there until she can't fit in one, but she definitely CAN use the seatbelt if you can't find one that works :D

boneheaderss

Oh I know already. There is nothing she fits in with that vehicle otherwise she'd be in it. She's not in it enough to warrant a frontier as that would maybe be the only seat left as a booster she would fit in. I'm satisfied with that decision. She BARELY fits a Monterey & that's my DS's seat.

That is good that you tried! :D If a booster makes the fit worse, then I would just go with the seat belt.

lovemybabies924

i have been struggling with this, my 9 almost 10 year old refuses to use a booster correctly (put the belt NOT thru the belt path etc..), he is too big to harness. his mom only uses a booster for him if i make her. i think he five steps but hes not 4' 7" yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC