Does the Monty have a belt positioning clip for backless

Heather98012

Title is pretty self explanatory. Does the SK Monterey have a belt positioning clip for the shoulder belt when used backless?

ADS

Heather98012

<sigh> I didn't think so. I have 2 & in my husband's Prius it fits like a dream backless. However in my car....not so much. I've had 1 member here say the shoulder is ok & 1 say it isn't based on photos...& my gut says I'm not happy with the fit of the shoulder belt.

I have a Safeguard Go & the belt fit was icky too, but I didn't try it with the clip. That might be better (but I need to recheck the fit of the lap belt as well). The Olli was a no-go today when I tried that as well & I know it doesn't come with a clip either.

I still need to check the Parkway but honestly without a belt positioning clip, I don't see ANY backless working in my '05 Hyundai Tucson. Grrrr.

careynj

I wish the olli came with one as well, I like it as an option. Is the child too large for a TB backless?

Heather98012

I wish the olli came with one as well, I like it as an option. Is the child too large for a TB backless?

I haven't tried it yet but will have to do so. A) I hate all Graco products. Like...I hate Graco. No reason really, I just hate them & haven't given them one dime in all the years my kid has been alive. But...I'll try it. B) I really wanted a latchable booster since the only vehicle that is giving me a problem fit wise is the vehicle she rides in about 90% of the time.

careynj

A yes, latchable has the ability to be a deal breaker. I don't mind the turbo as a HBB but I prefer others backless.

christineka

All of the harmony backless boosters come with seatbelt adjusters. I love the harmony seats and they are really light in case someone forgets to buckle it.

Heather98012

All of the harmony backless boosters come with seatbelt adjusters. I love the harmony seats and they are really light in case someone forgets to buckle it.

Ohh....good to know! Which do you prefer....Harmony or the Graco TB (I may have to put aside my hatred of Graco)?

Also...dumb question...but if you're using a backless with the belt positioning clip...wouldn't that keep the booster somewhat in place? I mean, I really would prefer a latchable one...but wouldn't the clip provide some assistance to keep it from sliding around?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ohh....good to know! Which do you prefer....Harmony or the Graco TB (I may have to put aside my hatred of Graco)?

Also...dumb question...but if you're using a backless with the belt positioning clip...wouldn't that keep the booster somewhat in place? I mean, I really would prefer a latchable one...but wouldn't the clip provide some assistance to keep it from sliding around?

The Cruz is really nice for bigger kids, Target has a few different colors and they only run 16.99 there. The shoulderbelt stays really in the guide when you forget to rebuckle it, and mine's never flown anywhere when I brake hard :cool: (and it's blow molded plastic, way lighter and smoother than a clunky Turbo)

Kat_Momof3

you know, the back on the monterey attaches just the way a turbo is... what do you techs think about her ordering a graco turbo backless CLIP to use with her Monterey?

Heather98012

The shoulderbelt stays really in the guide when you forget to rebuckle it, and mine's never flown anywhere when I brake hard :cool:

Good to know! I'm not really worried about the flying object thing in a crash (although I suppose I should be...I'm just not too concerned with it) but I really couldn't deal with it slip sliding all over. If it semi-stays in place, it might be ok.

Heather98012

It looks like the Bubble Bum has a positioning clip. Any thoughts on using that booster daily? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it, but I've heard good things about it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It looks like the Bubble Bum has a positioning clip. Any thoughts on using that booster daily? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it, but I've heard good things about it.

It's kind of a pain to buckle up, because of having to thread the lapbelt into the guide on the buckle side every time...and Leah ended up leaning all over the place to get leg support and reach an armrest (no center console in my car, so the armrest on the door was way out... might actually work ok in a car with an armrest-console in the middle)...the belt fit was still great, but she looked like she was doing yoga or something :D

Heather98012

Yeah, the belt guide on both sides looks to be a bit of a PITA. Not sure I want to have her deal with that.

How do you think the Safeguard Go looks belt wise with the positioning clip? I'm on the fence about it.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh I love that Go clip (in general, I think I rigged it to my third row belt once, lol)... I'd say it's too far out on her shoulder, though. As close to her neck as she can tolerate is the safest thing you can do (less chance of rolling out of the belt in a crash)

Kat_Momof3

the fit with the go is TECHNICALLY okay, but I don't like it that far out on the shoulder... to easy to have it slip off if kiddo moves. Maybe try it with the clip adjusted up higher?

Heather98012

Well, the clip is a moot point because she has decided she doesn't like the GO at all & would rather be in her Frontier in booster mode if those are the only 2 choices. And she really wants backless so that tells you what she thinks of the Go. (Which is odd, since she rode in it in harness mode for 2 years in my parents ride.)

So now I think the only options left to try for backless would be the Parkway (but without the clip I don't see the shoulder belt working), or the Harmony Cruz or Graco backless TB using the clip.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

and the cosco top side... the routing of the shoulderbelt pulls it closer to the neck... it's the only thing I have left to try for my daughter in her dad's car... I haven't tried her yet in the middle seat that is a hump where kids pass the 5-step early, though, so it's not a TOTAL desperate situation yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC