3across 3rd row Sienna or Odyssey

melniemi

Is this possible? Easy? My boys might 5 step, they are 55" now, but then I have a hbb rider, ffer and rfer, rf will be second row, non negotiable.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Not sure what year, 2006 or newer, most likely.

ADS

Albagail

I have a 2007 Sienna and while I've done three across in the third row before, it's not something I'd want to do every day. The middle seat back there is very narrow and the seat belt is odd. I've put a RF Radian in that spot without too much difficulty, and also a baseless Graco infant seat. Both times, my 7yo's Vivo had to stay buckled driver's side, and she climbed under the seat belt to get in and out, cause there just wasn't room to buckle. I want to say I had a FR85 installed passengers side both times, so you do have plenty of room on that side, anyway. Hope this helps!

kam1011

I don't think you'll have too much trouble. I have a 2011 Sienna and have done three backless boosters across the back (TB-literider-TB and also amp-literider-TB). If you have 5-steppers in the mix, it should be easy. I've also done amp-baseless keyfit-FF radian (not tethered, but installed with L/S, emergency situation and couldn't get it in the center solid). I don't know if the base would have fit as well, I literally picked up my goddaughter from a parking lot and transferred her into the back of the van, but there was a lot of room and I think it would have fit. In the '11 and '12 Sienna's there's only one top tether, useable center position only.

But I've been living with three across for three years (just got the van three months ago) and in my husband's tiny sub-compact as well, so I think I have all the room in the world now. :)

christineka

I don't think you'll have too much trouble. I have a 2011 Sienna and have done three backless boosters across the back (TB-literider-TB and also amp-literider-TB).

Is the 2011 wider then? I know for a fact that those boosters do not fit across the back of my 2007 sienna. I have a 3 across in my sienna 3rd row every day. I tried boosters in the back, but it's such a pain that I just have harnessed seats on the 60 split. The middle seat is tricky because it's so thin, but due to the shoulderbelt coming from the ceiling, kids usually don't fit right until taller.

rxmommy

The 3rd row of my 2006 Ody is tight, but it's doable, especially with a kiddo that 5-steps. I've had 1 kid in seatbelt, 1 HBTB and 1 Literider. Last weekend I had PWSGL, Bubblebum center and Scenera FF. Fit easily, the Bubblebum is a dream invention for that center spot. I thought about putting a RF in the back row last weekend but it was easier to do 2 kids that can buckle themselves and helped buckle the 3rd.

todzwife

Radians are a DREAM to install in that third row. (I have a 2012). We did Radian center, scenera ouboard driver, turbo outboard passenger. It was hard to bucklet the turbo because the buckle was under the radian. If I had had another Radian, I would have put that back there instead.

christineka

Radians are a DREAM to install in that third row. (I have a 2012).

Must be another difference between the new model and the last model. Radians are not dreamy in the slightest to install in the 3rd row of my 2007 sienna. It sometimes takes me 45 minutes to install a radian back there!

Last edited:

todzwife

Must be another difference between the new model and the last model. Radians are not dreamy in the slightest to install in the 3rd row of my 2007 sienna. It sometimes takes my 45 minutes to install a radian back there!
WOW! Yeah, it's super easy to get just about anything back there. I LOVE it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I find the '06 Odyssey 3rd row VERY tight and have never found a combination that worked 3 across. That said, if you have 2 kids not in boosters, you should be fine. You can fit 1 booster and 2 non-boostered kids back there no problem.

melniemi

Thanks all. I was trying to see how badly I want an 8 passenger. Sounds like it would make it a lot easier, just in case my boys don't 5 step. I think I'll see if I can find a local Sienna to try them in before I start hunting for a deal.

Holly

I can get a radian in fairly easily in the 3rd row passenger spot of my 2005 Sienna. LATCH or seatbelt. I haven't tried it in the other two spots because the driver's side has no top tether and I don't want to use the middle when I don't have to because I like that my kids can spread out and not have to sit next to each other. I haven't tried any other FF harnessed seat, or RF seat back there. I can get two turbos outboard with a literider inbetween if I push the driver's side turbo all the way to the side, wedge the literider in, and buckle everyone myself. It's a pain though. It should be pretty easy with 5 stepping kids.

christineka

I can get a radian in fairly easily in the 3rd row passenger spot of my 2005 Sienna. LATCH or seatbelt.

Really? I find it completely incompatible with the seatbelt in that spot.

My dd2 is 4'9" and she doesn't quite 5 step in that third row. Course my kids are apparently oddly shaped because they don't 5 step at 4'9". My 4'11" child doesn't 5 step there either- only on the middle-most seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC