Another Airline Question

scoutingbear

United Airlines? That is what my parents booked for our flight to Hawaii. Toddler, RF in CCO if not outgrown or FF in Radian for flight only. She will go back RF in the rental mini van upon arrival.

ETA: Darn children caught me before I could finish the post. lol How much of a hard time does United typically give for RF toddlers? Does it offer any amenities for a long trip such as movies? If so, how much? There website is very difficult to understand! It's been years since I've flown and need lots of time to prepare.

I think that's it for now. There are 6 of us flying and we already have seats across the entire aircraft. I figure I'll put M by the window in her car seat and then the boys can fight over the other window on the other side of the plane.

Last edited:
ADS

scoutingbear

Thanks. I have big road trips coming up with the kids but those don't scare me at all. it's the whole flying thing that does. Knowing that I can't just open the doors and let them free part. That I actually have to listen to the whining and complaining and shrieking. :p I'm pretty good at putting together car kits for the older ones and by then M will be able to do more of the stuff that they get. And perhaps Santa will make an early stop with ipods for the boys before that trip. But would they really understand that? Hmmm....

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
On a long trip, they can get up and stretch their legs a bit as long as you don't have turbulence the whole way. United does have movies, and provides free headphones for the movies or radio listening.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, one warning-if you are flying to Honolulu on United, gate checking doesn't actually mean that you get your stroller when you get off the plane. You have to get across the waiting area and outside to get it, and if you're not fast enough they haul it down to unclaimed baggage. I advise sending one adult off quickly without the children to find the stroller and bring it back for the rest if getting down to baggage claim (which is rather a long walk.) I had no checked baggage and they did this to me because we were the last off the plane, what with the kids and all, and in the time it took us to get off they hauled it away as unclaimed and I had to get the kids to help me drag the carryon baggage (much easier to do with the stroller to carry some!) and walk all that way with me, then find out where it went. I was not too happy.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, and you can purchase salad/sandwich type meals on long flights but they're expensive and not very kid friendly; bring lunches/dinners with you or pick them up right before getting on board.

scoutingbear

But I still can't just open the doors and turn them loose! Lol. We are flying into Maui. 3 adults, 3 kids. Undecided on stroller. Maybe if the CCO fits we will bring it. Otherwise at least 2 of us are fine with wearing her.

calihannah

Not sure if your trip already happened, but since you mention Santa bringing ipods, I'm guessing maybe the trip is far in the future?

Anyhow, we fly United to Maui often enough to be very familiar with the ins and outs of that route ;) As ketchupqueen mentioned, Maui is like HNL -- you won't get your stroller back until you are in the terminal (right after you deplane).

The CCO fits well RF on all United planes that we've been on (and it's our airline of choice thanks to DH's work travel and resulting frequent flyer status). We've never gotten any flack from FAs, even though DD has looked the size of a 2.5yo for quite some time now (she finally outgrew the CCO last month, at 19 months/35+ inches).

Most of the aircraft that United uses for SFO to OGG and LAX to OGG do NOT have individual screens, so your child won't gain much by being FF, other than being able to kick the seat in front ;) I'm so sad that we can no longer RF on planes now that the CCO is outgrown!

Happy travels and aloha!!

mimieliza

We are flying United to HNL next week. I will let you know how it goes. It has to be better than Hawaiian, they pushed me to tears by making me FF our barely 1-year-old last summer and by refusing to seat our family of four together. FWIW, DS is now two and will be FFing for this trip (no flames, I'm taking our Roundabout, which is outgrown RFing), so I won't have to fight that battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC