13 hrs/way...2 1/2 YO...RF or FF?

todzwife

We are taking a trip in November that will be a 13 hour drive each way. DD2 will be 2 and a half. She's ridden mostly RFing but has been turned forward on a few trips.

Suggestions? She's much happier forward and it's easier to check on her.

We have a Radian, RA50 and Tribute.

ADS

Baylor

todzwife said:
We are taking a trip in November that will be a 13 hour drive each way. DD2 will be 2 and a half. She's ridden mostly RFing but has been turned forward on a few trips.

Suggestions? She's much happier forward and it's easier to check on her.

We have a Radian, RA50 and Tribute.

Will there be two adults? So that one can check periodically? Rfing if you have the choice.

auto correct hates me

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I wouldn't be comfortable with a 2 1/2 year old forward facing... and she'll probably be more comfy rear facing anyway - better leg support, easier to sleep.

hrice

RF hands down. I wouldn't even consider FF a 2 year old who fits RF.

Have you tried a DVD player? You could also sit with her to help entertain.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would absolutely RF. I'm ok with a FF 2 1/2 year old if the seat doesn't fit in a tiny car and it's, like, a 5 minute drive. But especially for a long trip, if the kid fits, RF.

Brianna

RF. J rides FF most of the time but i put his Triumph in for long trips so he can RF. The only reason he's FF is because he only fits in the Triumph RF, his seat has to be moved between vehicles daily and his mom can't get the Triumph in right.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

aeormsby

Definitely RF. For all the reasons already posted, but especially (besides the added safety benefit) because it will be comfier for sleeping & hopefully fewer toys on the floor. We often strapped our DVD player to the headrest for RF kiddos before they were FF.

tiggercat

I would chose RF without a doubt.
1- comfort, no dangling legs, no slumping head
2- safety. Have you seen some of the crash pics our members have walked away from? I would not reduce safety protection just before a long drive!
3- sleeping. My kids, at least, sleep much better RF and for 13 hours in the car, I want naps to happen.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

momtotwogirls

Definately rf. Last november we took a trip that included a 10 hour drive each way and I had to ff my youngest who was 2 1/2 at the time. She was in a TFP and was VERY upright because it was a small car. After only 2 hours she was crying because her bum was hurting. So we stopped at a gas station and i took her out and her poor bum was almost purple so i turned her forward for that trip. She has no issues going beack rf when we got home. We took almost the same trip at the end of April and I was worried about it. This time I put her rf in a RN80 and she was fine the whole trip.

So my point is. I would rf unless it is uncomfortable for her.

todzwife

Thanks everyone. She's fine RFing. I need to get a new AA from Diono though because the one I bought in March is smashed flat already. I think that the Radian is the most comfortable for her.

valleyfam

RF - safer, they drop stuff less, and they can't see you to whine at you about getting them out, no head slump, so many good reasons.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm the odd man out. DD was 2yrs and 9.5mo when we took our trip to Cali last month and I flipped her FF. She'd been getting sick rf'ing on rides longer than 20min and I didn't want to deal with a pukey kid. She did great on the trip there. On the trip home, she got car sick no matter which way she sat. She she stayed rf'ing for the remainder of the trip home. I only lasted a couple of weeks with her rf'ing and flipped her back ff'ing for good. She will be 3 next month. She just has no leg room in her BV and right now, it's my only available convertible...so FF it is.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Seeing how tiny your dd is in the B-Safe thread, I would likely change my stance above and keep her rf'ing.

mlohry

We live in FL, but are from MN. My DD who is 3.4 years rode back and forth 24 hours each way RF and did just great! We did get a DVD player for her, which I'm sure does help. She however has never been FF.

blackberry

We drove 12hrs, stayed a few days drove another 12hrs, then 24 hrs back. My DD is 2 years 10 mths old she was RF and did great. She was riding in a MR.

cryswilkins

We are in the car on a 13.5 hour drive as we speak and DS is RFing. It didn't even occur to me to flip him. He is perfectly happy RFing and naps better that way.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm the odd man out. DD was 2yrs and 9.5mo when we took our trip to Cali last month and I flipped her FF. She'd been getting sick rf'ing on rides longer than 20min and I didn't want to deal with a pukey kid.

I think car sickness is a different ballgame. :)

OP, can an adult sit in back with the baby for part of the trip to help keep him happy during portions when he's awake?

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Well, when we took a 4.5 hour trip for DD's 6th birthday, she BEGGED to go RF... So we did, because she fits in the Radian still. And she was super happy and comfortable the entire time (which I was surprised about, personally).

I'm contemplating a 19-ish hour drive in October (over 2 days) and DS will be 3.5 then and will 100% ride RF I'd we decide to go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC