True Fit Manual Change?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
These are the instructions I've always followed for the True Fit:

Untitled-1.jpg

Both lockoffs in use, and the lap and shoulder portions of the belt through both lockoffs.

But someone on another board just told me that her TFP (that she just purchased) manual says "Shoulder belt opposite auto buckle is *not* placed in lock off."

When did it change? Applies to all versions? I checked the manual on First Year's website and it's the same text as the screencap I posted. Is it retroactive or only applies to the new models?

ADS

christineka

Perhaps this poster can take and post a photo of her instructions. Maybe she's interpreting them incorrectly.

christineka

Correct. New versions are different. And there are helpful stickers indicating this change right by the rf lock-offs. :)

Ah, so you know about this. Do you know why the change? Why isn't it retroactive? Did they change something about the seat? Or just change how to install?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Ah, so you know about this. Do you know why the change? Why isn't it retroactive? Did they change something about the seat? Or just change how to install?

:yeahthatlove: All those questions lol! Was it discussed somewhere and I missed it? Any idea what DOM it began with?

canadiangie

I know about it because there was a thread about it in Canadian.

I only know about the changes, I do not know the reasons behind them, and I doubt it's retro-active, at least here in Canada.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I know about it because there was a thread about it in Canadian.

I only know about the changes, I do not know the reasons behind them, and I doubt it's retro-active, at least here in Canada.

Ok so here's the million dollar question - I just realized the OP I'm talking with is also Canadian. Does this apply to the US versions as well?

msg221

I have a Lamaze TFP that Tomy sent as a replacement seat, but it's a year old. I will check the manual when I get home.

Spam

the tfp I just got has a dom of 2/12 doesn't say anything about the shoulder belt not being in the lockoff. It's the same as the pic in post #1

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I suspect it has something to do with the recent crash test standards, although this is just speculation and has not been confirmed. Only the TFP is now compliant with new standards.

msg221

I did check the manual with the seat that Tomy sent me, and it does still say to use both lockoffs.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well crap. Not having to totally use the one lock off sure would have made getting my TFP in the Subaru much easier.

NatesMamma

Sounds like it's a Canadian compliance thing BUT I know some of us in the US have trouble with seatbelts sliding down into the lockoffs. For a couple years now, I've been installing the TFP by first threading *only* the lap belt through the first (opposite buckle) lockoff, then putting the lap belt through the second lockoff. From there, it's pretty easy to go back and secure the shoulder belt into each lockoff. Really helps with belt positioning and keeping the belts from slipping down as you install.

So, yeah, prob a compliance thing, but it also tends to make the install easier! :)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Mystery solved!

The True Fit Premier had a manual change regarding routing of the shoulder belt in the lock-offs in Canada June 20 2011 to coincide with changes required for the new Transport Canada crash tests effective Jan 1 2012. Seats with a DOM prior to June 20 2011 are not compliant. This is per a conversation with a CS rep Kendy at the Tomy CS phone number this morning after she consulted with engineers and phoned me back.

Sorry US techs - I asked if the change was now optional for your seats and they said no. And older versions of the seat with the instruction to route the shoulder belt through both lock-offs must continue to follow that direction.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Mystery solved!

The True Fit Premier had a manual change regarding routing of the shoulder belt in the lock-offs in Canada June 20 2011 to coincide with changes required for the new Transport Canada crash tests effective Jan 1 2012. Seats with a DOM prior to June 20 2011 are not compliant. This is per a conversation with a CS rep Kendy at the Tomy CS phone number this morning after she consulted with engineers and phoned me back.

Sorry US techs - I asked if the change was now optional for your seats and they said no. And older versions of the seat with the instruction to route the shoulder belt through both lock-offs must continue to follow that direction.

Thank you for following up and giving us a definite answer - this is really good to know! And strange that they won't make it an option for those of us south of the border, that's a bummer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC