Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

CARES restraint harness for plane travel

Hi, does anyone have experience or an opinion on how safe / easy to use this CARES harness product is for plane travel? I already have a car seat at destination and thus won't be bringing one with me on the plane.

My baby is 1.5 years old and 19 lbs now but I am planning a few trips for when she is older and meets the weight limit on the CARES harness.

I originally posted this in the Canadian forum but didn't get too many responses from members with experience using this product. Hoping for more here. TIA

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Aviation-Restraint-System/dp/B0012E4FV8/ref=pd_cp_ba_0"]Amazon.com: CARES Child Aviation Restraint System: Baby[/ame]

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: CARES restraint harness for plane travel

I wouldn't put a wiggly 2 year old in a CARES harness. There's too much going on for them to willingly sit there in position the whole time. The car seat is familiar and they're used to staying put when they're buckled in the car seat.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Senior Community Member stephie1012's Avatar
    I was debating putting my almost 2 yr old in one this weekend. After doing some research it doesn't seem like it will tighten enough on her. We bought a scenera instead.

5. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

We have one, but the earliest we used it (and what I would recommend) would be 3yo. By that age the lap belt has a decent chance of fitting and they'll be less likely to wiggle out of it or unbuckle the lap belt.

For a younger child the ideal option would be to buy a ticket and use a convertible RF or FF. Even though she's technically young enough to still be a lap baby I couldn't imagine trying to hold a 1yo for an entire flight!
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

7. Thank You from:

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Nor are lap babies recommended by the FAA, AAP, and NTSB.

The CARES doesn't tighten the lap belt, it doesn't have a crotch strap, it doesn't stop the child from playing with the buckle. There is a VERY small group of children for whom I would consider the CARES. It also means you either check the carseat, rent a carseat, have a trusted carseat on the either end, or aren't using a carseat at all on the trip. The first two are super bad, the second two are fine.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 53", 92#, Nuna Aaces, Chicco KidFit
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

9. Thank You from:

Thanks for your replies everyone but I'm not bringing a car seat on the plane since I already have a car seat at the destination. I am concerned about her safety during the flight. Would the CARES work better than just using the plane seat belt? Thanks
    Last edited by new2009; 07-05-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: clarify

If you're absolutely not going to bring a seat on the plane, then yeah a CARES is better than just a plane seatbelt... but like everyone else said, it isn't ideal for such a little one! Since the plane's lap belt won't fit properly, neither just the belt nor the CARES are the safest route to take.

The CARES is just a set of harness straps with a chest clip, basically. You still have to use the plane's lap belt, and the lap belt won't tighten enough for such a young toddler. CARES also can pull the lap belt up higher on smaller children, and you don't want the belt on their soft, vulnerable tummies. I would just bring a lightweight travel car seat on the plane for her. (That's what we do, and DD is familiar with it and knows she can't get out.)

HTH!
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

12. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member stephie1012's Avatar
    I guess the cares is better, but not the best bc of fit. We fly tomorrow and dd has a seat at our destination but we are still bringing the scenera for the plane. Dd knows she can't get out of a carseat, the cares would be too much freedom for her and stress for me lol we have flown with a scenera when ds was 2 and it was super easy and he slept the entire flight, again didn't need a seat at our destination that time either.

14. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

I think it is very child specific.

We have a CARES for our now 4 year old & have used it on most flights (about 10) since she was just over 2 years old. She is a mellow, calm and pretty obedient kid - even at 2 - so we never had issues using it. She has friends the same age (mostly boys) who would have a lot more trouble with it at 2 for sure! It is a MUCH better option than just the plane belt in my opinion, though.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

16. Thank You from: