Britax Frontier 85 SICT on airplane?

U

Unregistered

Hoping to take my son's Britax Frontier 85 SICT on a plane later this summer, and wondering if anyone has any experience with how well it fits? We're flying economy with US Airways, so we're talking regular-sized airplane seats. We REALLY don't want to check the carseat, or use a rental at the other end.

I know it's a heavy seat, but lugging it around the airport won't be an issue, as we have the Britax travel cart.

Thanks for any feedback!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't want to sit next to it. It's 21" wide at the shoulders, and most plane seats are about 16" wide. It'll fit with the armrest up, but it'll just be uncomfortable.

I wouldn't check it (it'd be crashed), but I'd probably get a travel seat rather than sit next to that.

Wendy

aeormsby

I agree.

How old is your son? Height/weight?

Depending on his age/size I would either get a booster (if he's 5+yo and at least 40lb) if you do a HBB pack the back in your luggage and carry on the bottom (that way if the luggage is lost you still have the bottom to use).

Or if he's smaller/younger get a Evenflo Maestro as a lighterweight travel seat. It has a 50lb weight limit and about 18" top slots.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My son is 4, about 40" and around 35lbs. It will be my husband and I sitting on either side of him. I use this carseat in the center of my Honda CRV, so I know exactly how much room it takes up. ;-) Neither of us have a problem being squished for a 2.5hr flight, and as we have no further plans to fly for the forseeable future, I don't want to buy another carseat just to travel with.

I guess what I'm keen to know is if the airline will allow us to keep the armrests up if it's the only way the seat will fit? The last thing I want is to take it on board, only to be made to check it if it ends up not fitting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC