Safety 1st Guide 65 with Almost 6 year old Pics

StillThankful

Some members have been inquiring about this new budget seat.

Rfs to 40#
FF to 65#

Model: DD1 is 5y9m, 47", 16.25" torso

My opinion: I'm very impressed that I could get a convertible for under $100 and have my child rf to 40# and FF to 6 years old with room to spare :thumbsup:. Again, my girls have short torsos though.

I didn't install this seat in my car and have no clue what the manual states--I'm sure it's that the child can rear face until head is within 1" of shell. Not really sure how long DD1 could have rear faced in this seat. I know that in her MR65, she could have rear faced to 4 in it by height and weight.

Here she is:
Image07042012104139-1.jpg

Image07042012161520-1.jpg

Image07042012161515-1.jpg

Image07042012161517-1.jpg

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Did it seem like the headrest pushed her head forward? That's the one thing that seems weird to me. I'm really excited about a narrow, budget convertible with decent RF and FF allowances though.

I haven't read the manual either, but I believe it's a standard Dorel 40" or head to the top of the shell (not headrest).

danivdp

BTW, these are $63.99 until July 11th at BJ's.com

I am very considering buying one (or three, LOL) for my rear bench. I'm worried about harness height though......

StillThankful

Did it seem like the headrest pushed her head forward? That's the one thing that seems weird to me. I'm really excited about a narrow, budget convertible with decent RF and FF allowances though.

I haven't read the manual either, but I believe it's a standard Dorel 40" or head to the top of the shell (not headrest).

That's a good question. I forgot to ask her whether it pushed her head forward or not. It "appears" that it would just looking at how the headrest is made but I would like an owner to chime in. I would really like to "test" out the car seat in my car but Walmart has zip ties anchoring down the seats. :thumbsdown:

danivdp

It's at Walmart? I might take a couple of my kids to go check it out. The BJ's deal is really tempting.

ninejr

We have it as a back up for the middle girl. She is 2.5 and weighs 34lbs. In Canada it has a 36" limit for rear facing :( or head even with top of head rest. It fits nicely rear facing in our focus at the upper of the two level lines, would be harder to get in at 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Attachments

• image-1953052524.jpg
    image-1953052524.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 71

StillThankful

It's at BRU, too, but not on sale this week... different name... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11563636
Nice to see a big kid fitting in it! :thumbsup:

Thanks Jools! I would "thank" rep you but have given out too much rep w/i the last 24 hours.

Looks like there were mixed reviews--the one that concerned me the most discussed the difficulty of installing it rear facing. :thumbsdown:

This carseat is impossible to install when it is rear facing!! I read the reviews before purchasing and now wish I had listened to the ones that said it was hard to install. Even when using a noodle or towel to get the seat at the right angle, the seat continually flip backwards and lays the child down on their back. I have tried many times and so has my husband. The seat can be very tight and looks great until you put any preasure on the top of the car seat by the childs head. It as if the base is not wide enough or something to hold it in place. I refuse to let my child ride in it now. I had put the carseat in place and then moved the front seat back against the carseat. It was only recently (after using the seat for 3 months) after moving the front seat that I realized it had been keeping my carseat from moving. Once the front seat was moved forward, the carseat will not stay in place no matter what I do. VERY VERY Unhappy that I have a carseat that I can no longer use.

I'm wondering if someone from here owns one and can chime in about how easy or difficult the installation was.

ninejr

StillThankful said:
Thanks Jools! I would "thank" rep you but have given out too much rep w/i the last 24 hours.

Looks like there were mixed reviews--the one that concerned me the most discussed the difficulty of installing it rear facing. :thumbsdown:

I'm wondering if someone from here owns one and can chime in about how easy or difficult the installation was.

I posted up thread, had no problem at all getting a good rear facing install. It was at the more upright angle and using a locking clip (because tipping annoys me, not because it was necessary). Not braced or touching, no issues. Went in really easily with LATCH as well. I am a tech if that makes a difference. I won't have time today but I can probably play with a newborn angle this weekend, it will need at least one noodle for that.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
ninejr said:
I posted up thread, had no problem at all getting a good rear facing install. It was at the more upright angle and using a locking clip (because tipping annoys me, not because it was necessary). Not braced or touching, no issues. Went in really easily with LATCH as well. I am a tech if that makes a difference. I won't have time today but I can probably play with a newborn angle this weekend, it will need at least one noodle for that.

How are the bottom slots? Low enough for a newb?

StillThankful

Sorry about that. I could've just asked you about the rf install.:eek: Thanks for your comments on the seat. I guess you would give it two thumbs up:) :thumbsup: :thumbsup::D

ninejr

StillThankful said:
Sorry about that. I could've just asked you about the rf install.:eek: Thanks for your comments on the seat. I guess you would give it two thumbs up:) :thumbsup: :thumbsup::D

My only complaints so far are the high bottom slots, the straps rub her neck and are really easily twisty (no different than most Dorel seats though).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC