Question What's up with the height restrictions for RF?

purplemama

So I've noticed lately that seats are coming out with a 40" RF limit. What's that about anyway? The size4me and now the titan65 (which is a joke if they didn't change the shell height) have a 40" limit. The CA always has, right?
Any thoughts on what's going on?
At 4 years old my DS2 was 41" but still had tons of room above his head RF in the CA. To me this is very upsetting. I want my girls to RF to at least 4 but if seats keep coming out with this limit, I wonder what my choices will be in a few years.
I guess I just want to know WHY!!! Is there something they know that we don't? What kind of testing caused this 40" limit?

Last edited:
ADS

bnsnyde

My son didn't even get too close to 40" before outgrowing the Scenera RF, and he's not even 3. I guess he has a long torso but it was disappointing for travel!

Our older Scenera actually says 36" limit RF!

callumsmom

The only reason I can think of for coming up with the 40 inches as the magic number would be some sort of data on the average child's seated height at 40 inches tall. That still is silly though because it doesn't take into account kids that are all legs or have smaller heads/shorter necks.

tiggercat

Seats have always had height limits. Many older models had much lower limits (seats in Canada were all 32 inches for a long time), we just ignored that in favour of the 1 inch rule because it made more sense. Because then it was the difference between turning a 1 yr old or rearfacing above the height limit, which is kind of a no-brainer. Now that they are stating higher weight and height limits, and we want to RF our 3, 4, 5 yr olds, the limits seem to be viewed more strictly. And really, why go over the limits to RF a kid that is pretty darn safe in a properly used FF seat...

Edited about 6 times because I kept getting interrupted and desperately need coffee.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I've seen at least one manufacturer mention that 40" is the 50th percentile for 4 year old boys and the 95th percentile for 3 year old boys (or something similar), so my best guess is that's where the number comes from. :)

jeminijad

You've got to remember that these are mass marketed products designed to work for the majority of children. 4 year olds rear facing, even small ones, are outliers.

Jessica61624

Spam said:
the new titan has a much taller shell, 19" top slots so they raised shell. Idk about the 40" thing it's annoying.

I can't wait to play with one! I hope it doesn't have a 40in rule.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Titan really has 19" top slots? Taller than a Nautilus? I'm having a hard time picturing that in a convertible that's known for fitting in small cars.

I guess I just want to know WHY!!! Is there something they know that we don't?

Well, that's the kicker. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I personally wouldn't want to find out. A 4yo can forward-face quite safely: I'd do that rather than testing out a theory.

Pixels

For FMVSS 213 certification, they have to use certain dummies to test the seats. Dummy selection is based not only on rated weight, but also height. If the dummy fits (by federal definition, not manufacturer's definition) by weight OR height, it must be used.

christineka

All other evenflo seats have the 1 inch rule, though. What has changed? The sk radians had a rfing limit of 53 inches and the new dionos are 44 inches. I also hear that the myride just goes by the 1 inch rule.

SavsMom

Jessica61624 said:
Since the maestro booster is basically useless and the weight limit is 50lbs I would!

That was my thought exactly! Plus my dd has a good size torso, so those 19" top slots have me drooling, lol!
When do these come out?

Athena

That 40" thing is so annoying. Why is it spreading?! Ugh! I think many of us want to *know* why.

I've mainly used Britax convertibles and never had that 40" rule, but it did deter me from buying the CA because my kids are 40" at barely 3 and even the new gen seat got DD to 40-41" before hitting the 1" limit, so what was the point in getting the CA? Although I was not happy about it, I had to turn her FF because I did not have any other good options that worked in my car. So I feel the frustration too.

However, I am intrigued by the Titan, especially at that price point. So it's about an inch taller than the nautilus? We could use another seat with more height without having to shell out for another Frontier.

Jessica61624

SavsMom said:
That was my thought exactly! Plus my dd has a good size torso, so those 19" top slots have me drooling, lol!
When do these come out?

They're up on targets website already. Out of stock right now. They have the limits wrong FYI.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC