Vent / Question: What is really safer in this situation... ?

PunkyMonkey

So here is my dilemma... soon to be XH has an older car (1992 buick of some sort) at the moment and he cannot for whatever reason just KEEP the darn seat in the car (so he's always uninstalling and "reinstalling" it) and DD is ERF she's 28.7 pounds, 34 inches tall and 18 months (still really young to even be thinking this.... argh). He cannot get an acceptable install with seat belt in this stupid car with Classic MA... It moves all over the place and it not a good angle. I suggested pool noodle and he flipped out and said "why can't she be like every other kid we know that goes forward at 1.. why do you have to over complicate everything?!" :mad:

So my questions are:
If he can get a rock solid install FF is that safer for her than a not acceptable to my standards (aka the darn manual ffs) RF install? :(

She will only be riding with him maybe once or twice a week and no where far/long (not that it really matters but her main setup will still be RF RA/Blvd with me)

If no, then does anyone have a recommendation of an inexpensive but EASY to install RF with a seatbelt (like idiot proof) in older cars recommendation?

I wonder if those Cosco Apt seats are any good for that scenario or do they usually require a pool noodle as well?

This stinks.:thumbsdown:

ADS

katymyers

I've never needed a noodle with my kids' graco myrides in anything I've ever installed them in but You would need a locking clip since there are no lock offs.

Brianna

Oh! Another thought. If he installs in the center with just a lap belt, a MyRide should work perfect. I used to install a MR with a lap belt and it was unbelievably easy, especially if the belt wasn't adjusted between installations.

PunkyMonkey

Is there any way for you to check the installation before he takes her?

Some times but not if he picks her up from school (the only time I'm thinking this might be an issue) and he is going to give me sh*t every time I "check it" I can tell already. Not that I care, give me all you've got -- I need to know that my world is safe at all times.

I'll look at MyRides.. maybe I can score one in swap for a lower price =/

ginny4

oh dear. i always thought the classic MA was one of the easiest seats ever to install. i have no idea if there is anything else better. maybe go to a store that allows you to test fit in the car & try a few. i know babies r us allows it.

otherwise if he can't get an acceptable install in his car himself but could FF then i'd flip her for him.

PunkyMonkey

oh dear. i always thought the classic MA was one of the easiest seats ever to install. i have no idea if there is anything else better. maybe go to a store that allows you to test fit in the car & try a few. i know babies r us allows it.

otherwise if he can't get an acceptable install in his car himself but could FF then i'd flip her for him.

Yeah I've never had an issue with it but I'll have to play more and see.. he's only taken her twice so far and once I got to check it after they got BACK and I was so upset and that's when I got the attitude. He got his seats redone at an upholstery shop too and that's making me go nuts because I just feel like you never know what they changed... ugh this whole situation is giving me anxiety.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is he really going to be able to install the FF seat properly? Properly installed FF is better than improperly installed RF, but improperly installed RF is better than improperly installed FF, as it's more tolerant of errors.

Honestly, if the guy can't bother to put her seat in properly then he shouldn't be driving her at all. Is he harnessing her properly?

I find the MR easier than my RA50, but then, I seem Britax-challenged for some reason.

CrazyBoysMamma

I'm assuming he's installing outboard? Any RF seat would be easier in the center with a lap belt only. I'm going to guess he won't get the FF instal right, either, and like Carrie said, that's not the situation you want. Maybe he'd be willing to leave a smaller seat installed?

clmchrissy

Oh! Another thought. If he installs in the center with just a lap belt, a MyRide should work perfect. I used to install a MR with a lap belt and it was unbelievably easy, especially if the belt wasn't adjusted between installations.

I second this idea. The MR was super easy to install center / lap only in our 2000 Yukon.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Early 90's Buicks have super squishy backseats that really can make rfing installs unstable. Last time I tried a rfing install I ended up needing a giant beach towel wrapped around a noodle to get a reasonable recline without a ton of movement. Seriously, it was like a foot thick. One option you could offer him since this car is pre-airbags would be to install rfing in the front seat with the seat braced on the dash. The front seat install is much easier, and he may be pacified with being able to see her better.

StillThankful

Good idea!

... Properly installed FF is better than improperly installed RF, but improperly installed RF is better than improperly installed FF, as it's more tolerant of errors.

:yeahthat:

One option you could offer him since this car is pre-airbags would be to install rfing in the front seat with the seat braced on the dash. The front seat install is much easier, and he may be pacified with being able to see her better.

I would had never thought of that.:thumbsup: OP, check your state laws though. I know in Virginia, rear facing CRs must be in the back seat unless there is no back seat. http://www.vahealth.org/Injury/safetyseat/laws.htm

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC