Flying Southwest

scoutingbear

How are they (used in a loose sense) with RFing 2+ year olds? Going to be flying and if she hasn't outgrown the CCO will be taking that and installing RF. Otherwise it's the radian with no stickers. :(

ADS

atw

I think southwest is one of the best airlines for families in general! You shouldn't have any issues with them whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My last flights with a rfer were on southwest. On four of five, they asked if she was a ticketed passenger (was under two) and that was it. On the last one, they told me convertibles had to go ff. I said, ” it's my understanding that since she's within the weight limits, it's my choice as the parent to decide which way to install it. I'm willing to comply with your directions but I'd like to see where it says that in the manual please.” They didn't have a manual on board, but radioed to look it up and came back to tell me I was right.

Dillipop

I haven't flown with a rfer in a while- we're doing it on Wednesday though with a 20 month old in a CCO. However, last time I did it in 2008, I didn't have a problem. I had 1 flight attendant ask if his seat was facing the wrong way and I just told them that it's how he rides in the car. Other than that, I didn't have any other issues. We always fly southwest and have had great experiences.

scoutingbear

Thanks! I'm freaking out about our trip and it is still a few months away. :eek: When I find out what airline we are flying to Hawaii I'll be back to question that airline as well.

Side question (we'll see if it gets noticed, lol). Would you forward face a 2 year, 4 month old on a plane or rear face her if given the option? Seat will be a CCO (I hope!) or a roundabout or a radian.

xursusmaritimusx

I'd rf. for safety and for comfort.

Also. I don't know if it will be an issue but I've been asked twice when I flew southwest for a birth certificate for my dd. only airline that has.

Brianna

J flew FF on Southwest at 2 1/2, but that's because his RF seats would have been too big to carry on. I don't think he would have cared either way, he was just happy to look out the window. He did kick the seat in front of him a few times and didn't really listen to instructions to stop.

cantabdad

I've heard secondhand that the Radian doesn't fit very well RF. Otherwise I'd just do whatever you do in the car (which sounds like it would be RF) so that you don't have to adjust the shoulder straps. We've been using our Roundabout RF and it's been easy to install on a variety of aircraft, even for a klutz like me.

Last edited:

mrosehughes

I've RFed DS on SW planes in his radian a few times. You need the angle adjuster for it to work, and even with that it's very tight. On our last flight he was 2.5 and we FFed. That was ok, but he kicked the seat a lot.

stephpook

I FF'ed my 3 year old in his Radian last time we flew (he was 2 at the time). He did fine.

Also, I don't want to hijack the thread, but we'll be flying again in a couple weeks (Southwest) and I was hoping to use a Radian for my 8 month old. Obviously she'll need to be RF'ing. Do I need to be concerned that the Radian won't fit?

morninglori

My DS was about 2.5 when I RF'd him on Southwest in his MA classic. No issues or questions from the FA. I did let the passenger in front of DS know that his seat wouldn't be able to recline just for a heads up and the guy was OK with it and thanked me for the info. After the flight he told me that he had the best flight ever sitting in front of a kid - apparently he had experienced a kicking toddler on a recent flight.

brightredmtn

A South West gate agent threatened to pull me from a flight for rear facing my then 18 month old. He was a notorious a$$ however among the flight attendants who had my back. I complained and haven't seen him since.

Posting from a phone does not excuse typos.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC