argument question

careynj

How do you guys deal with someone who will not listen and is a jerk about it? My sister's boyfriend is a fire fighter and feels that my nephew, 9 years old and between 65 and 70 pounds, 4'9" does not need a booster. My sister and nephew both realize he does need one and also that it needs to be a HBB in bf's chevy truck. He had been a real jerk about it, in front of my nephew. Yesterday when I asked what side of the truck he would prefer the seat to be on he said, "Honestly, I don't want it in there at all, I'm a fire fighter and he doesn't need it" To which I responded, Yes, he does. Then I mentioned that I am planning on taking the tech course and in 6 weeks we could have a really interesting conversation about it. He said, "So for the next 6 weeks you don't know anything and he doesn't need to be in there" I told him he does and walked inside. Nephew was buckled into seat when they left, I watched him do it. I was so annoyed, especially since my nephew is hearing this and since he's already the only kid his age ( other than my 10 year old niece) still in a seat. I showed him on the weekend why he doesn't fit without a booster, but I think the more he hears bf go on about it to me, the less willing he will be to sit in it. He does technically pass the laws here, but the belt fit is not right.
Whew. Thanks for reading. I'm pretty annoyed about this. Just wondering how you guys would deal with this? I told bf I had some videos he could watch and he claims he doesn't need to see them because he "knows" nephew doesn't need a seat.

ADS

careynj

Oh. My sister asked for a booster as soon as they walked into the house, knowing they would need one in the truck. So it's not like I'm battling everyone about this, just the bf. Everyone else gets it.

careynj

He doesn't say it to her though, when he started going on at me about it she told him to stop. But he continued. I didn't bring it up this time, she asked for the seat I figured it wasn't a big deal. I'm just wondering how you would respond next time he brings it up, because I know he will.

Brianna

Could you please show me peer reviewed studies showing that children his age and size are safe without boosters?

Although, I would likely want to have my ducks in a row as far as studies to show him if he turns around and asks you for them.

careynj

The best part is when I asked him when I first met him if they train fire fighters about car seats he said they don't learn anything about them.
He's the type that would for sure ask what information I have, and then probably not read it :rolleyes: I'll give that a try though. I'll have to start looking for ammo.

bnsnyde

Our camp was surprised I asked to bring a booster for my son because they "thought he was tiny for his age or something." They said I could just wait until next year for his to do fishing camp.

He is 5, turning 6.

So did they think when he's 6 turning 7 he won't need one?? :confused:

And actually he's still harnessed in my car but I didn't go into that yet, lol.

careynj

I just don't understand how someone who responds to vehicle accidents doesn't see that proper car seats save lives. I'm hoping he just gives up the fight. I wonder what he would say if he saw the inside of my brother's van... Olli for the 10 y/o, HBTB for the 7 y/o, FrontierXT for the 5 and 4 year olds and RF rxt for the 22 month old.
I think the reason I am so pissed is because he is new, like dating her for 3 or 4 months and already thinks that he has a say in a safety matter.

Stelvis

He sounds like a real self-important jerk. Sorry I don't have any further advice, except I'd probably be choosing not to spend much time around him.

careynj

Yeah, I'm doing my best to not see him. My nephew was here for the weekend and he came for pick up. Interesting that he's Mr. Respectful in front on my parents. :thumbsdown:

tallylassie

It makes me sad to think of what other parenting decisions of your sister's he is actively undermining.

Way to be a role model, dude. :(

careynj

:yeahthatsad: he seems to be specifically against me. My nephew and I are very close, always have been. He's only 14 years younger than me. I agree, I'd like to know what else he is going against that was a set rule before.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Smile and nod "Maybe you are right, but I feel like a good auntie when I spread safety. Must be how you feel being a firefighter. Feels great doesn't it? BTW, I really need your advice about smoke detectors"

babyherder

As an aunt I'd go with what safeinthecar said. Or simply tell him that your nephew's mother says he uses a booster so he uses one. Then tell him your not comfortable questioning your sister's parenting decisions in front of your nephew.

Or simply tell him that your nephew's mother says he uses a booster so he uses one. Then tell him your not comfortable questioning your sister's parenting decisions in front of your nephew.

:yeahthatlove:

Truthfully, it sounds like if it weren't the booster seat, he'd find something else to argue about with you to make himself feel better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC