Surprised myself with a 3 across-long post

acoro

OH & I just purchased a 2012 Sonata Hybrid as a second car. Yesterday I played with seats. Available seats to choose from:
2 Nautis & SR 35 installed in my van
True Fit
HB Turbo booster

I have 3 boys; 7 mos, 4 years & 7 years. My goal yesterday was to see if I could get 3 across with our existing seats and if not what seat would need to be replaced.

I started with SR35 baseless centre and outboard...much to slippy for my taste & it was too hot to try to really get it in there. So I tried with the base middle and of course it installed no problem. Then I tried the TF FF passenger side outboard for the 4 year old. This wasn't bad but had to reinstall the SR35 base with a big cheat to the driver's side to accommodate the flaring of TF and SR base (not a good puzzle). The TB sitting outboard driver next to this was basically on a 45 degree angle to the bench back due to the bolstered side of the seat so that was a no go :p

Puzzle #2, left the TF passenger outboard, reinstalled SR35 base driver outboard smashed into the back and side of the cushy seat bolster. Then I got the TB in the centre position and wiggled it all the way back to the seat back...wow it fit! But would I be able to click the bucket in and buckle the belt for DS1? Short answer yes. Long answer if not for the big holes in the SR base buckling would be a royal PITA and you really have to make sure the bucket clicks into the base by pulling the TB armrest out of the way a bit. (yes screws are in)

So we picked up a slightly narrower booster-evenflo big kid nb since the armrests appear much narrower and those were our issue (looked at harmony/apramo but it looked wider than the TB though armrests much lower narrower and actually may be a good fit (hmm maybe a trip back to the store)...wedged in-between the TF and SR base really well and the lift up armrests are just enough room to get everyone snapped in & buckled. Good belt fit on DS1 as well (he does need the belt strap adjuster as the shoulder belt rides a touch to close to his neck for my liking).

Sorry this thread is long I know but I'm excited! We probably will pick up a Scenera as a second seat for the DS3 at some point and that should free up even more space to buckle the booster (right?)

Disclaimers my 7 year old does NOT ride full time in backless booster his main seats are a GN in booster mode and HB TB but in the interest of space we went backless in the Sonata (him being in the middle and the side airbags + headrests make me comfortable with this especially as it will rarely be for long trips) my 4 yo is forward facing as he is 35 lbs and the TF is/was his rear facing seat. I will try to get a pic of the booster belt fit once the strap is put on.

I'm not a tech and I don't have tonnes of experience with different cars/seats so I'd appreciate feedback

Password for the pictures at link below is carseats

http://photobucket.com/guestlogin?albumUrl=http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/amcoro/3%20across%202012%20Sonata/

Last edited:
ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC