Which would you prefer?

tl01

Would you rather have a brand new minivan... Upper trim level.... Keep it and drive it for 100k miles. The van would have an extended warranty. OR

A 2008 Mercedes GL 450 with approx 30k miles and drive is for 100k miles. It too would have an extended warranty and can be service reasonably by friends who are techs and master techs.

Two children would be the typical cargo;).

ADS

Brianna

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy new. And I wouldn't mind driving a Mercedes :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
:ROTFLMAO:

Is this for you? Like there's any way you'll keep a vehicle for 70-100,000 miles! :ROTFLMAO:

But I'd go with the new van.

tl01

Talked it over w/ DH. He wants to know the make and model of the minivan.

Well... I've had two 2011 odysssies... One touring and one touring elite. I don't think I want to go back down that path. I'm not really interested in the sienna, so I'm thinking a Nissan quest. I drove one for a week when wrote a review for it so I put it through its paces. It is much nicer inside than either of the other two options. The bummer is only 7 seats and few LATCH and tether spots but I'm done at two kids and one is almost booster ready. I don't mind the outside of it either. What does your DH think?;)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
LISmama810 said:

Is this for you? Like there's any way you'll keep a vehicle for 70-100,000 miles! :ROTFLMAO:

Ummm yeah this! LOL

I pick neither because the GL will be the "old" model and I would pass on a minivan. :).

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

tl01

Ummm yeah this! LOL

I pick neither because the GL will be the "old" model and I would pass on a minivan. :).

You are of no help;)! I drive so much and my current situation is never going to work.;( ;( ;(. Waaaaahhh!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
tl01 said:
You are of no help;)! I drive so much and my current situation is never going to work.;( ;( ;(. Waaaaahhh!

Have you looked at the Lexus LX570? My husband took me to drive one yesterday because he wants it over the QX and is trying to convince me we could live without captains chairs (they aren't offered). It has a very wide middle bench....not sure how much wider than yours since I have only been in models with captains. Also every position has a headrest even the third row center.

And I know I am of no help but I would feel very bad if I didn't insert myself into all your car buying decisions since I currently live vicariously through yours. :love:

tl01

Have you looked at the Lexus LX570? My husband took me to drive one yesterday because he wants it over the QX and is trying to convince me we could live without captains chairs (they aren't offered). It has a very wide middle bench....not sure how much wider than yours since I have only been in models with captains. Also every position has a headrest even the third row center.

And I know I am of no help but I would feel very bad if I didn't insert myself into all your car buying decisions since I currently live vicariously through yours. :love:

I did think about it but my non-car loving husband would never approve that purchase as it would be about $90k. I need something I can drive into the ground and not care about. At close to 30k miles a year, that car would lose so much value in 3 years.

StillThankful

Well... I've had two 2011 odysssies... One touring and one touring elite. I don't think I want to go back down that path. I'm not really interested in the sienna, so I'm thinking a Nissan quest. I drove one for a week when wrote a review for it so I put it through its paces. It is much nicer inside than either of the other two options. The bummer is only 7 seats and few LATCH and tether spots but I'm done at two kids and one is almost booster ready. I don't mind the outside of it either. What does your DH think?;)

DH is pro anything Japanese:p, so I'm guessing Nissan Quest--he's outside right now getting my strollers out the rain. :p He told me that if you were thinking about getting an American minivan, then to go with the Mercedes. My aunt has one of them btw.

tl01

But I'd go with the new van.

It would be for me.

At some point I have to keep a car for a while;). I'm just trying to keep up with you;).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
tl01 said:
It would be for me.

At some point I have to keep a car for a while;). I'm just trying to keep up with you;).

LOL. Well, we have PLANNED on keeping each of our vehicles forever....

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If it wasn't for the fuel economy, there would be no question I'd rather have the GL450 with two kids! If I didn't need a third row, I'd aspire to have the new ML350 BlueTec;-)

brightredmtn

If I were going to keep a car long term I'd not do that with a Mercedes. Maybe things have improved but they didn't have the best reliability ratings the last time I was researching cars. Even if you have an extended warranty and not paying for repairs it's still a PITA for your car to break.

tl01

If I were going to keep a car long term I'd not do that with a Mercedes. Maybe things have improved but they didn't have the best reliability ratings the last time I was researching cars. Even if you have an extended warranty and not paying for repairs it's still a PITA for your car to break.

I have no worries about the reliability of the Mercedes. They had a brief mess up in QC but that was before the 2008 model year.

tl01

If it wasn't for the fuel economy, there would be no question I'd rather have the GL450 with two kids! If I didn't need a third row, I'd aspire to have the new ML350 BlueTec;-)

ML blue tec would be awesome but we need a third row and more trunk space. Mostly we carry only 2 but with friend, car pool, and in-laws that visit... We need a little more space. Maybe a GL blue tec would be the perfect compromise;).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
ML blue tec would be awesome but we need a third row and more trunk space. Mostly we carry only 2 but with friend, car pool, and in-laws that visit... We need a little more space. Maybe a GL blue tec would be the perfect compromise;).

Sadly, the GL Bluetec doesn't even get as good mileage as most minivans. I do need to ask for one to review at CarseatBlog, though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC