Why Can't Our Graco Nautilus' Have Lock Offs Like These?

StillThankful

This is just a regular Graco Nautilus 123 (not the elite version) with the lock offs.

Just wishing.......then I don't have to deal w/ locking clips.:thumbsdown:

I know we have them in the argos elite version, but heard that it's hard to adjust the harness. Graco discontinued the nautilus elite. :confused: as to why.

http://www.graconautilus.com/installation-video

Last edited:
ADS

StillThankful

Yeah, that would be nice. Locking clips are a PITA!!

Seeing that there is only a $20 difference between the Graco Argos and the Graco Argos Elite, one would think that it's not much of a cost to add the lock offs. Such a small cost for a huge benefit.

I just installed the FR85 using the long belt path in order to bypass having to use the locking clip. Goodness, that was a difficult install. :thumbsdown:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So on the FR 85 you don't need a locking clip if you use the long belt path?

Often the long belt path uses up ALL the belt, so there's no need for an extra pre-crash positioner (that's what lockoffs and locking clips and locking seatbelts do: they hold the seat in place prior to the crash. No spare belt=no pre-crash movement)

:)

Oliver79

So it depends on the car. If all the belt is used no locking clip is necessary but if there is slack a clip Is necessary?

One more question... If I need to put a seat permanently in a car with. No tethers is a Frontier using long belt path, Nautilus or some other seat the best choice?

Thanks

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So it depends on the car. If all the belt is used no locking clip is necessary but if there is slack a clip Is necessary?

One more question... If I need to put a seat permanently in a car with. No tethers is a Frontier using long belt path, Nautilus or some other seat the best choice?

Thanks

I'd personally do the FR with long belt path, I like the shoulderbelt coming up over the front of the seat. Make sure the belt is long enough before buying, though, some belts are actually too short for the LBP.

StillThankful

:confused: I don't see any lock-offs on that seat in the video.

You are right! That's weird. They were on there last night.:confused: Here is the GN to which I was referring: Graco Nautilus 123. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44--LA6B_s"]GRACO NAUTILUS Grupo 1/2/3 WWW.BAYON.ES - YouTube[/ame]

Also, here is a facebook page on the seat. It's called Graco Nautilus group 123 asking for parents who will test the car seat. I'm wondering if the GNE will come back out with these style lock offs.????

https://www.facebook.com/notes/graco-baby/test-the-graco-nautilus-elite-car-seat/340154372717726

bbartlettnfld

The lock offs are in the 1/2/3 one to work in place of the North American top tether. They would be nice to have but would be a surplus feature as we have a top tether.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, that lockoff is super duper mega cool. Seriously love it. Obvious, easy to see and reach and use... wow. (Given the low rate of top tether usage in the US because straps are unmarked black things that you have to climb all over an SUV or van to reach, I'd rather this than a top tether....of course, our test requires a lap-only belt, I'm sure that's a problem for testing).
What's with the different standards the US video has versus the Spain video? Like, we have to work so much harder to get the seat installed so much tighter and crank down the harness to the no-pinch tightness. Just...odd.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, we have a locking belt requirement and top tether requirement. More expensive version didn't sell as well. So it kind of makes sense it was discontinued here but is standard there (also, there the harnesses only goes to 40 lbs, not my kind of trade-off. ;) )

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well yeah, but my point was that more and more pre-locking belts are aging out of circulation, and no more are being made.

StillThankful

Yep. Disappointed at the price. I see the Argos Elite for sale but heard that the Argos' harness was hard to adjust. I'm wondering if it was the shape of the person's vehicle seat that was the problem or if the back of the argos different from the back of nautilus which causes the harness to have more contact with the the vehicle seat.:confused:

Brianna

I posted about having problems tightening the Argos harness but it only happened that one time. It's been fine since then.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC