Leaving the hospital with my convertible

MammaBear

So, DD2 was born a couple days ago in a downtown Edmonton hospital. After the 7am shift change the next day (when I knew I'd be discharged) I told my nurse that we'd be taking DD home in a convertible car seat and that we would not be bringing it in to the hospital but she could feel free to come look at it in our car if she wanted. She said she'd tell the administrator (or whoever - I can't remember who she said she'd tell) that we wouldn't be bringing our seat in. Then she said "do you know the buckle has to be at the armpits?" I said yes, and that was it. I'm glad I didn't get any hassle, but I kinda wish that I did....

ADS

robbertbobbert

I'm glad it went smoothly (even if you aren't:thumbsup:)

My friend had a baby a couple of weeks ago and the staff started pitching a fit about them taking her home in a convertible and refused to go out to the car with them. Eventually her DH went down, took a picture of the seat in the car, and brought the car seat manual up to prove they REALLY DID have one. Bleh.

Mommy090804

Congrats! Glad to hear that your discharge went well. It is kind of nice having a June baby (mine just turned six!!), since trips are a little easier without all the outer wear. Rest well!

KristineML

Congratulations!

A friend of mine couldn't fit an infant seat in the back of her Subaru so she used a convertible. The hospital wouldn't let her leave so her husband went home, got one of the borrowed infant seats they had been trying in their back seat, brought it to the hospital and they strapped him in for the trip to the parking lot where they transferred him to the convertible.

Emi's Mommy

I took my dd home from a Manitoba hospital in a convertible seat. They told me I'd have to uninstall it and bring it upstairs to be inspected. I refused as it was tech checked and told the nurse she was more than welcome to see it in the car. They declined and off we went.

I hate that some people are fear mongered into thinking that it's a bucket or nothing and they'll keep your kid without it!

butterfly_mommy

I took my baby home almost 4 weeks ago in a convertible and after having a nice chat about car seats, etc with the nurse she said she would make on the release forms that parents had car seat knowledge. I also congratulated her on the advice she gave the family beside me. They brought in there bucket and not only did she make sure the seat was not expired and that the straps where at or below the babies shoulders she also reminded them that nothing goes between baby and the car seat that once they buckle baby up do the pinch test and make sure the chest clip is at arm pit level then the could cover baby with a blanket. She also reminded them that meant snowsuits in the winter as well. She was very informed and did a great job making sure parents had the correct info without being preachy or condescending.

She even recognized my Radian she said "those are good seats but a bit pricey and heavy" She also asked what kind of seat my 4 year old was in when we were talking.

This was at St. Mikes hospital in Toronto.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC