But center/LATCH is safest...

skaterbabs

very good questions.

I even asked a Canadian tech to see if her information listed a tether anchor location or part for that position in my car and she said they don't have one either.

Personally, I think if they're going to require parents to use them, they should require manufacturers to provide them for all vehicles.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Curious (must have had too much caffine today :rolleyes:):

1. Has anyone actually been caught/fined?

2. What if I documented I had persued having a 3rd anchor installed and was denied? I'd think it would be rather hard to enforce a law with a glaring exception/issue of "I don't have one. I can't get one because manufacturers prohibit installing a 3rd."

3. Does the "can't retrofit vehicles that have anchors" hold if the anchor is a heavy duty one - for an EZ on or Special Needs seat? Would that be a "work around" for a 3rd tether?

5. Has anyone pointed out the fact that it's impossible to tether a seat when there ISN'T an anchor available (you can't share the anchor)? - What was the response?

1. Yes, failing to tether a ff'ing seat is a fine all on it's own, seperate from installation and use. We ticketed for that at our check stop when we completed our tech training. (Our class went out on a road check instead of doing a clinic.)

2. Basically if you don't have it you can't transport more ff'ing children in your vehicle than what you have anchors. Sucks, but that's the way it is...

3. I'm not sure, because we don't have Ez-on harness or the like here. I'm sure some special needs seats probably use heavy weight anchors, but I'm not sure exactly what we have for special needs seats - if I ever encountered a parent who needed one, I'd have to contact Transport Canada.

5. Yes, we discussed this in our class, and the response was no tether anchor than it's illegal to transport a child in a ff'ing child restraint in that position. Basically you have to select another seating position, or another vehicle.

very good questions.

I even asked a Canadian tech to see if her information listed a tether anchor location or part for that position in my car and she said they don't have one either.

Personally, I think if they're going to require parents to use them, they should require manufacturers to provide them for all vehicles.

This is actually the reason why so many cars started coming with TA's prior to the introduction of LATCH.

It might be interesting to note, that kids under 6 and 40lbs can't legally be transported in a vehicle without a car seat with the exception of a taxi and vehicles leased/rented for no more than 2 wks. So it's illegal to transport a 3yr old on a motorhome that doesn't have proper seating positions to install a car seat.

I don't really have an opinion on this... it sucks when parents ask and you have to tell them that they're right about having to get a different vehicle if they needed another tether point.

The good thing about the mandatory tether use in CAnada, is that with the increase in weight limits, Transport Canada will also be requiring vehicle manufacturers to test and certify the tether anchors to higher weights. I'm not sure what model year that's supposed to come into effect though and I don't remember for sure if it will affect lower anchor weights or not.

skaterbabs

They should still require TAs for ALL seating positions if they're going to require parents to buy a new car when they have an extra kid. That's an unreasonable burden on families.

In fact, if a parent were to take it to court, they would have a reasonable leg to stand on to sue the government IMO for requiring parents to do something without setting the standard for the manufacturer's to make it possible.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
They should still require TAs for ALL seating positions if they're going to require parents to buy a new car when they have an extra kid. That's an unreasonable burden on families.

In fact, if a parent were to take it to court, they would have a reasonable leg to stand on to sue the government IMO for requiring parents to do something without setting the standard for the manufacturer's to make it possible.

I know what you're saying, and really I don't know what to say to it. I have to think that not many people have thus far faced this problem because having the number of kids who would need to be tethered be more than the number of anchors in a van for instance, probably doesn't happen that often except with parents of multiples. Our truck has 4 tether anchors, although I don't think the 3rd row is wide enough to fit 3 across anyways unless the outboard was booster.

I don't think there's an easy answer... even for parents of multiples, how do you choose which child has the decreased safety? Triplets are likely to be around the same approximate developmental stage and weight/size at the same time, so it's not like you could choose based on an oldest/biggest type thing.

Don't most cars come with 3 tether anchors installed now? I think the TA for every seating position becomes more of an issue with vehicles that have 3rd row seating positions. As for convertibles, I'm not sure about those because I think I've read some of those don't have top TA's. I wonder if those models are available only in the US?

I know that some newer vehicles are coming with different passenger size/weight ratings, so I suppose a vehicle that only is rated for a child in certain positions would only have to put TA's in that position? Just hypothesizing...

I don't know all the ins and outs, I just know what we were told in our tech class. Maybe some of the other CDN's were told differently?

skaterbabs

I'm thinking more of families with older cars, like my Jeep. I can't have more than 2 anchors, but I do have 3 kids. And none are (yet) old enough to be left home alone. Nor can we afford to replace the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC