RF or FF on airplane?

ohiomommy08

My DD and I are flying to Grandma and Grandpas's on Wednesday! I have a couple of questions:)

Should she FF or RF on the airplane? She turned 4 in April and is still RF in her Marathon in one vehicle and FF in the Nauti in the other. We'll be bringing the Marathon on the plane. Should I just keep her RF and not worry about moving straps, easier install on the plane? Or put her FF and use a seatbelt extender? I'm OK with her FF or RF when we get there, but am wondering which will be easier for on the plane?

Also, without buying a luggage rack, how should I get us through the airport? I think I'm going to have DD walk with her backpack and I'll wear a backpack and hip carry the Marathon. My other option is to bungee the Marathon into the maclaren. We won't need the stroller on the other end, it would be just to prevent carrying the Marathon. I'm just thinking it would almost be harder to push the stroller one handed and keep track of DD than it would be to just hip carry the seat? But will I regret it later?!?!

Any other tips? It's just a 2 hour flight on a smallish plane. We're so excited!

Thanks!
Laurie

ADS

Brianna

Given her age, I would be comfortable FF her on the plane.

If you strap the seat onto the Maclaren, would she be able to sit in the seat?

danivdp

If I thought she'd sleep, I'd put her RF to be more comfy for that.

But I'd probably RF anyway. I'm all for easier and not having to move straps, LOL.

emandbri

I'd put the seat in the stroller and let her walk.

I don't think you would at 4 but don't put her in the seat while in the stroller, I did when Benjamin was 1 and the Mac was harder to steer after.

vonfirmath

I'd put the seat in the stroller and let her walk.

I don't think you would at 4 but don't put her in the seat while in the stroller, I did when Benjamin was 1 and the Mac was harder to steer after.

I wouldn't put a kid in the seat in the stroller at 4. But I've done it before nad it makes for an excellent way to get them across the airport. Don't do it with a $200 stroller, just in case it breaks the stroller ;) But I've done it 4 times and only once did I have any damage to the stroller (And I actually attribute the damage to gate checking the stroller, NOT to the kid in hte seat in the stroller. Though its hard to tell)

Nimommyof2

I had a different seat but I bungeed corded it upside down over my carry on rolling suitcase, I put the bungee cords through the seatbelt hole and attached to suitcase handles. At that age I would FF so she can see the TV and I wouldn't have to tell the passengers in front they can't recline.

vonfirmath

I had a different seat but I bungeed corded it upside down over my carry on rolling suitcase, I put the bungee cords through the seatbelt hole and attached to suitcase handles. At that age I would FF so she can see the TV and I wouldn't have to tell the passengers in front they can't recline.

At that age if I were going to FF a kid on the plane, I'd take the Evenflo Maestro. It keeps the kid's feet farther from the seat back ahead and allows them to use the tray table.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I'd probably RF on the plane just so she doesn't kick the seat in front of her. We used our Nautilus on a plane and it was fine, but put him pretty close to the seat and by the end of the flight when he was getting antsy I was having a really hard time keeping him occupied and from kicking the seat.

Picking up a Maestro wouldn't be a terrible idea either, they're much lighter than either seat and would allow you to use the tray table if you wanted.

xursusmaritimusx

at 4 i would just use a seat FF on the plane. i've flown with both the MA and Nauti. i think the MA is easier.

switching the harness on the MA is super easy anyway. takes 5 seconds.

or just leave it FF when you reach your destination.

i'd make the 4yo walk. use your stroller to cart everything. you wont need a bungee cord. you can latch the LATCH straps together around the stroller. just one less thing to bring

4 yo puts a hand on the stroller at all times and off you go.

Lenae

at 4 i would just use a seat FF on the plane. i've flown with both the MA and Nauti. i think the MA is easier.

switching the harness on the MA is super easy anyway. takes 5 seconds.

or just leave it FF when you reach your destination.

i'd make the 4yo walk. use your stroller to cart everything. you wont need a bungee cord. you can latch the LATCH straps together around the stroller. just one less thing to bring

4 yo puts a hand on the stroller at all times and off you go.

This.

SavsMom

I would just FF in the plane at 4. If you can I would pick up a Maestro - it is nice and lightweight, I have actually carried mine through the airport with no issues, it's also easy to strap to a wheeled carry on as well. I wouldn't bother with a stroller either, especially since its a direct flight with no connection. My motto when flying is that less is more.

ohiomommy08

Thanks for all the input! I still haven't decided what to do:) I like the idea of less stuff is better, but it might be easier to do the stroller. We have a very early flight coming back and it might make it easier if I have the option to push her in the seat if absolutely necessary. Although my sister and her family (6 people) are picking us up on their way to Mom and Dad's so with their luggage and our luggage, the deal breaker might be space in the van to squeeze in the stroller.

I can't decided on FF or RF either! RF would be easier because I wouldn't have to move straps and it would be an easier install on the plane, but it's not hard to move the straps and I can ask for an extender so FF would work also! It is a very short flight, so I'm not really concerned about sleeping and hopefully the person in front won't want to sleep either if she's RF. I thought I'd bring a bag of M&M's or something to give them just in case;) I have a feeling it will be a on the spot decision! My husband said to wait and see how the windows are situated - with direction will she be able to see better? It also might depend on if I can get a seatbelt extender.

Thanks for all the input! I'm sure it will work out whichever way I decide!

Laurie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC