Freestyle owners - love it? hate it?

mainemom

We are looking at replacing one of our vehicles and the Freestyle is a strong contenter. I have looked at car forums like Edmunds but I trust the thoughts of folks on this board. So those of you who own Freestyles, what do you say? Car seat compatibility issues? (lived those with Subarus) We'll be moving into booster stage soon and haven't yet picked a booster yet. They seem to have pretty good safety ratings though don't know that we will be able to afford one with curtain airbags. Thoughts on safety are appreciated. Reliability? Other issues? TIA

ADS

morlando27

Sorry, I don't have any feedback to offer. We're also considering the Ford Freestyle/Taurus X and Chyrsler Pacifica as well as a VW Passat Wagon. I'm torn between the fuel economy of the Passat (we'd get a TDI), which is probably more practical day-to-day, and the ability to occasionally tranport 6 or 7 people.

I'd love feedback on any of these vehicles as well...realistic mpg, seatbelt fit, car seat compatibility/ease of install, general opinions, etc.

monstah

I have a Freestyle and hate it. BUT if I only had 1 or 2 kids, I'd probably love it.

Get the captains chairs in the second row! The middle bench seat is useless. I think I would love my car if I had just gotten the captains chairs.

You shouldn't have any car seat troubles with a booster. FF Radian with the seatbelt is tricky but doable and simple with LATCH.

One common problem with the Freestyle is that it surges or jumps forward when the AC is on. (I filed a complaint with NHTSA.) So during a test drive, make sure you put the AC on full blast front and back. And do a little stop and go after you get back from the test drive.

morlando27

I'm sure they are but thought I'd double check...are the Taurus X's prone to the same issues (transmission problems & surging)?

ETA: It appears the the Taurus X has a different transmission.

Last edited:

kathysr98

The Taurus X has a completely different transmission than the Freestyle. It's one of the few major changes between the two.

I love my Freestyle. I have one kid & end up with two spares frequently. I have a second row bench & it works great for us. I keep dd in a RF RN center, second row, and two FF seats in the third row for the other kids. We fold the 40 section to load kids into the third row. My Maclaren Techno XT lays flat behind the third row with plenty of room to pile crap around & on top of it.

I had trouble with the surging issue when I first bought mine (used, 70k miles) but it stopped when the throttle body was replaced. It now has 92k miles and I have had no more problems with it. As far as a/c effecting it, we live in Louisiana & use a/c 6-8 months per year.

monstah

kathysr98 said:
I have one kid & end up with two spares frequently. I have a second row bench & it works great for us. I keep dd in a RF RN center, second row, and two FF seats in the third row for the other kids. We fold the 40 section to load kids into the third row.

But that only works if at least one of the FF'ers uses a booster because there's only one top tether anchor.
When I had two RF'ers and a harnessed FF seat, I wanted to throw my Freestyle off a cliff. :p (Well, I still kinda do. ;) But it would have been fine if I had captains chairs for easier access to the third row.

I agree, plenty of cargo room. I leave my Mac upright and have oodles of room for groceries, etc.

My 06 AWD Freestyle SEL has over 90K miles and the only problem we have with it is the surging when we use the AC. We live in CT so I only use it for 3 or 4 months. Not enough for me to pay $$ to have it fixed. It's also only bad if I have it on full blast. I almost sandwiched a Burger King employee once when he walked in front of my car in the drive through. :eek: Scary!

SynEpona

I love mine. I have a 2006, and have had it for about 3 years. We've always been loyal Ford drivers, but we've never been given cause not to be :)

I have the 6 passenger, and we removed the center console from the 2nd row for walk through access to the 3rd row. I frequently had 4 seats installed when I was doing childcare. The *one* thing that bugs me from a carseat angle, is that there is only one tether in the 3rd row, which means that in Canada, I can't put 2 FF'er kids there together. It's not an issue now that DS is in a booster, but previously meant hatch loading a RFer when I had 2 RFers and 2 FFers.

Our only transmission issue was when the dealership we bought it from put the wrong transmission fluid in during its 'get ready to sell' service. Since then, no major issues. Its got 180 000 KM on it now and we're still very happy with it. It's great in snow, the 3rd row is tolerable for adults for short drives, and in my 'every day' set up, I can put my huge Chariot running stroller in the back (over the flat 3rd row seats) w/ minimal disassembly!

Currently, I normally have my kids seats in the 2nd row (Monterey driver side, Radian RF passenger side), and a Maestro in the 3rd row for spare kids, and one 3rd row seat folded flat for cargo.

ETA: I've never had that AC issue, and neither has DH when he uses my vehicle, and he notices everything, so either it was fixed before we bought it, or wasn't an issue on this one.

morlando27

Are the FWD models ok or would you insist on AWD? There's an '08 Taurus X w/ very low mileage for sale about an hour from me at what seems like a great price but it's FWD, not AWD and DH thinks AWD would be a must on a vehicle this size/weight.

monstah

morlando27 said:
Are the FWD models ok or would you insist on AWD? There's an '08 Taurus X w/ very low mileage for sale about an hour from me at what seems like a great price but it's FWD, not AWD and DH thinks AWD would be a must on a vehicle this size/weight.

IMO, it depends on where you live. I need it, not negotiable or I'd never get up my driveway in the winter without it. But I would happily drive a FWD in Florida. :)

morlando27

My 06 AWD Freestyle SEL has over 90K miles and the only problem we have with it is the surging when we use the AC. We live in CT so I only use it for 3 or 4 months. Not enough for me to pay $$ to have it fixed. It's also only bad if I have it on full blast. I almost sandwiched a Burger King employee once when he walked in front of my car in the drive through. :eek: Scary!

It looks like a relatively easy DIY cleaning often takes care of the problem: http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4467

SynEpona

IMO, it depends on where you live. I need it, not negotiable or I'd never get up my driveway in the winter without it. But I would happily drive a FWD in Florida. :)

I agree. I hate being housebound due to winter weather, so AWD or 4WD is essential for us. If we were somewhere w/o snow, I'd live with FWD.

morlando27

Well, I found out the reason the price is so low is that it has a Salvage Rebuild title. :( I don't think I'll find another Taurus X in my price range without really high mileage so between the potential transmission issues & underpowered motor in the Freestyle and the fact that DH really doesn't want a Ford, I'll probably end up a VW Passat TDI wagon. DS1 will be disappointed. He really liked the 3rd row seating and actually isn't too far from 5-stepping there but the Passat is probably more practical for us with only 2 kids.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC