Car Seat Shopping Comments

Ellie173

Tonight I brought my friend out to Babies R Us to get her kids a new seat. While comparing seats (for over an hour) we received some interesting comments from employees. The guy talking to us told us Britax was all marketing and another lady walked by and told us we would be paying for a name. The guy helping us was also really pushing rear facing and harnessing longer. It was so nice to hear someone actually talking about car seats like they cared about the child. Most of the time BRU employees give me terrible advise and act like I am a kid for saying I don't agree. They were all so helpful and even offered me a job working in the car seat section part time! I declined though.

We left with an Argos and everyone learned something new (including the BRU guy).

Just thought I would share a good experience car seat shopping.

ADS

Owlish

Glad you had a good experience :) I was in BRU looking at seats yesterday and an employee went past while I had two seats out trying to see how they looked side by side and didn't even stop. I didn't mind though since I didn't want help and was just feeling some seats that I've been considering.

katymyers

That is awesome. I was there last week and had to bite my tongue when the girl recommended a Baby Trend infant seat to a soon to be grandma shopping for her daughter. She said it's her "favorite" :(.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I had a BRU employee once tell me that Britax was the best because the steel bars (that the LATCH belts are on) prevented the seat from being crushed in an accident.... All those plastic seats just cave in, right?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, Britax DOES have some significant safety features for the price, so I'm not sure I agree with him there (not that I harp on them to my customers, I actually sell more Evenflos than anything) But yay he remembered his other training (they give us the AAP reco's, to RF to 2 and harness to 4-7) :) (My dept supervisor in baby gear always sold Nautiluses to babies under 1. Made me want to scream...)

~*Jen*~

I was at BRU recently and the salesperson was trying to push an AOE on a woman with an 8mo because it would be the last seat she'd ever need. I convinced the woman to try a few out in her car and see what fits best before she buys and worry about a booster when the time comes.

I had one salesperson try to tell me that an Evenflo (Symphony, I think?) could be tethered while rear-facing. :eek: (Seemed like an okay seat from what little I know about it but tethering was a must for that particular situation.)

Ellie173

Well, Britax DOES have some significant safety features for the price, so I'm not sure I agree with him there (not that I harp on them to my customers, I actually sell more Evenflos than anything) But yay he remembered his other training (they give us the AAP reco's, to RF to 2 and harness to 4-7) :) (My dept supervisor in baby gear always sold Nautiluses to babies under 1. Made me want to scream...)

We did talk about that a bit but also about how if we have a budget and if the parents don't want to harness past 6yo then a cheaper option is just as good. I fit height wise into the Frontier harness (my friend wanted to get it so they could pass it down to me when their son outgrows it, but I am over the weight limit) :) Sorry wasn't meaning that we talked about how silly it was to buy Britax, just that on a budget and for what we would be using it for it wasn't ideal. I always have had the "Britax is the only safe seat" lecture, it was just nice to hear that I am not putting my kid in danger by not buying "the best".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC