Ferrari carseat in Canada?

U

Unregistered

Quick question. I work in a daycare and today one of the 2 year olds brought a "Ferrari" car seat to use on our field trip. I can't see any sticker saying it's approved in Canada, so I don't think it is?

The numbers on it are ece r44/04 04 08053.

If it's not approved can you please tell me what exactly I should tell the parents?

Thank you!

ADS

dragonfly8

Just tell them that all carseats in Canada MUST have the CMVSS sticker on it. If it does not have that sticker, don't use the seat. If it's a daycare you work at, let the person in charge know. Simply tell the parents that the daycare will NOT transport a child in a seat that is not legal to use here.

From what I can tell, the seat is not sold in canada. Maybe the parents just don't know? Maybe they do and they think that no one will say anything? Who knows. Either way, it's not approved to use in Canada. Unless of course, it's now being sold here (but I can not find any info indicating it is).

mommycat

You are correct, the seat is not legal in Canada. ECE R44 is the European car seat standard. For a seat to be legal in Canada it needs to be approved by Transport Canada and have the National Safety Mark applied (maple leaf sticker with the CMVSS number). You can tell the parents that while it may possibly be a safe seat it does not meet Canadian standards and that they may be fined if stopped the same as if they had no seat at all. If I am not mistaken, here in NS it would also mean 2 demerit points off the driver's license. Also, if they are in a crash and their child is injured they may face insurance ramifications if the insurance company decides to sue them for the money paid for their child's treatment because they were using an illegal seat which could be argued to have caused injury that a legal carseat may have prevented. Good luck!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The ECE R44/04 means it's EU approved. Whether or not that seat is also sold here, THAT particular seat is not CMVSS approved. There are no dual certified seats at this point in the game so if it's ECE certified, it's only ECE certified. A CMVSS approved version of the seat would likely be different anyway.

Here's some info from Britax UK on certification http://www.britax.co.uk/safety-centre/regulations/regulations Looks like that seat may have been certified in the Netherlands.

ETA: no responses when I started typing but took me a long time to post with kids bugging me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for your responses! I told the parents exactly what you said, and that we will not be able to use it for future field trips. They are really good parents, so I think they will probably look into it more this weekend.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC