Question HELP Help! Graco Nautlius V.S. Diono Radian RXT

cherieqyl

Re: HELP Help! Graco Nautilus V.S. Diono Radian RXT

Lots good advises, i am so glad i asked qs here. I don't know if any of your partner likes the kids to FF rather RF? He just find ff easier to deal w a screaming toddler when she asks for things.

Im going to try RF her this weekend. Prob going to get yelled at!

DH agrees w the option to get Nautilus because DD is FF and the seat is cheaper. He said by the time DS out grown the MR then he can have the Nautilus and find a backless booster ($30) for the DD who will be 5.5 or maybe 6 yrs.

ADS

cherieqyl

Sparkly was talking about the Nauti though, not the Radian. ;)

How tall/heavy are your kids? Ds2 was riding in the MyRide and fit RF until 4yo. He will turn 5 in about 3mo and still has room to grow FF. He may or may not fit long enough to get to 40lbs, it is likely that he will though. He is about 25-40th percentile (can't recall which kid was what exactly anymore). The baby could likely use the MR until it expires unless he is particularly on the bigger end.

I think RF would be a great idea for the toddler as well. At the very least I would worry about head slump - which may not be a safety issue exactly but even if they don't complain I don't agree that it is a healthy way to ride. The Nauti is a great seat but head slump is often an issue and definitely was in our '07 Civic. For a 5yo I wasnt too worried because it happened rarely but I imagine a 2yo still sleeps often in longer drives? The MR is naturally very reclined when FF so it would be a big change. On the plus side, I thought the Radian fit quite well RF behind my drivers seat in the Civic when I tried it out, and that was without the angle adjuster to help get the seat more upright, just some slight effort to angle it with pushing and tightening the right way.

DD is 2.5 yr almost 30lb and 85cm
Ds is 4months and 14lb maybe

I have a feeling that she wont like RF as much as i want DD to RF, but u never know...
I am leaning twds Nautilus more but i will keep the head slump situation in mind. You know her head even slump when she naps in the MR. Also, i wish i know radian sonner.

My toddler barely takes her naps now and hopefully we wont take them on a long road trip any time soon...

Last edited:

Jessica61624

cherieqyl said:
Lots good advises, i am so glad i asked qs here. I don't know if any of your partner likes the kids to FF rather RF? He just find ff easier to deal w a screaming toddler when she asks for things.

DH agrees w the option to get Nautilus because DD is FF and the seat is cheaper. He said by the time DS out grown the MR then he can have the Nautilus and find a backless booster ($30) for the DD who will be 5.5 or maybe 6 yrs.

At 6 she still needs a high back booster but you can get them for under $50.

cherieqyl

Hello@ It's great that you're willing to consider turning her back rear facing. It offers big safety benefits and honestly is more comfortable for kids because it gives them somewhere to place their legs/feet without leaving them dangling in the air which causes the bottom half of their bodies to get uncomfy quick. My son (at 7, almost 8) is forward facing in a booster and has blankets in the floorboard for something to put his feet on. It's too uncomfortable otherwise.

I did want to say, though, that I would not ask the toddler if she wants to rear face. :) We have the most success turning kids back RF when we just do it matter of factly. "Mommy found out it's A LOT safer for you to be rear facing, so you're going to sit that way again, just like your brother." OR something to that effect. Like most safety issues, at that age, it really shouldn't be a child's choice. They don't understand the safety issues at stake. IF you get a Radian, let her help choose the color, that'll help. Keep in mind that you may want to use the seat for another child, though. You can replace the covers, but they're not cheap.

I would definitely put the baby in the MR, it'll last him a long time yet. Put 2.5 yo in Radian. Hand down the Radian to younger child when he outgrows the MyRide, and then the older child will likely then be ready for a booster seat (kids are ready for boosters around 5-6 years old). Boosters aren't that expensive, depending on the model. IF younger child is ready for Radian before older child is ready for booster, reevaluate then and see what the best option to buy is going to be.

Good to know about the feet thing, i was wondering why my older one likes to cross her feet now.

Yeah, radian cover arent cheap, hmm, considering all the pros and cons i think i will get her Nautilus, amazon.ca has a great deal right now.

Feel like i cant sleep well unless this is decided lol

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, radian cover arent cheap, hmm, considering all the pros and cons i think i will get her Nautilus, amazon.ca has a great deal right now.

The price I see on amazon.ca is the same as Walmart's regular price ($220), so it's not a good deal unless you have a coupon code or something to use.

Brianna

RF is much easier for me to deal with than FF. When they're RF you can just hand it over the top of the seat and they grab it- plus it doesn't fall out of their lap like it can FF!

A Radian RXT from Snugglebugz would end up costing you $5 per month if you use it until your son is 6- if you have more children and you can keep passing it down and use it longer, it will cost even less per month. The Radian expires after 8 years in harnessed mode and after 10 in booster mode. If you use it until your son is 6, you could still sell it probably for more than $100.

If you go with the R100 which only has a 40 pounds RF limit, it would be $3.88 per month over 6 years.

Have you shared with him videos and other information on why it's safest for her to be RF in a crash?

cherieqyl

The price I see on amazon.ca is the same as Walmart's regular price ($220), so it's not a good deal unless you have a coupon code or something to use.

Yeah, the one w coupon code, after tax my total would be about 196. Prob the cheapest ive seen in a while. The Nautilus is not on sale often....

cherieqyl

RF is much easier for me to deal with than FF. When they're RF you can just hand it over the top of the seat and they grab it- plus it doesn't fall out of their lap like it can FF!

Really! I gota try it. You r so right about measing on the lap situation.

Have you shared with him videos and other information on why it's safest for her to be RF in a crash?

No, we only talked about it, where can i find the video though?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC