I need some perspective re: Radian

Ninetales

I need some perspective re: Radian *Updated*

I'm sure many of you know about my little, who is blessed with both high weight and height for her age. She's 2 years and 4 months, weighs about 37 lbs and is a little over 36 inches tall.

I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to turn her once she outgrew our Myride and Complete Air because of finances. However, it's come to pass that I had a whole load of reward points from my credit card that I'd forgotten about. With those, I can get enough in Amazon gift cards to buy a Radian.

I've never even seen a Radian in real life but I never wanted one. I have a real problem with Diono as a company, I really would rather not support them with my business. Plus I hate the fact that the seat is so hard to install, comes with so many extra pieces just to be functional, and has all those goofy rules.

BUT, I don't have enough to get a Peg outright, and I would like the option to RF tether. The Foonf is just a dream, I wouldn't have enough even if it was out now. That would be my first choice but I don't see it happening.

It would be going in an '04 Impala. It's probably my only chance to RF my child to age 3. Does anyone else have a Radian because it's their only option, or despite disliking the manufacturer? I'm trying to sort out whether or not my hesitation is purely from a business standpoint or if I don't trust the seat itself.

Another factor is that I could really use these extra funds for other things we need as well. It's definitely not like I'd have no use for the GC otherwise. Thoughts?

Last edited:
ADS

Meg

I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to turn her once she outgrew our Myride and Complete Air because of finances. However, it's come to pass that I had a whole load of reward points from my credit card that I'd forgotten about. With those, I can get enough in Amazon gift cards to buy a Radian.

Have you tried her in a Radian? I have a RN and a Complete Air and my oldest has more shell above his head in the CA than he does in the RN.

gigi

Meg said:
Have you tried her in a Radian? I have a RN and a Complete Air and my oldest has more shell above his head in the CA than he does in the RN.

I think OP is looking for a 45lb RF seat, since her child is 37 lbs.

OP - I have the same issues with Diono as you. I opted to turn my just 3 y.o. However, if he had still been 2, I'd probably have bought the Radian. I don't think the seat is unsafe, especially when installed with seat belt. I just think the company sucks. Unfortunately, they have the goods (decent price, 45lb rf, rebound control). I would be super conservative with following the rules though, since they are so by the seat of the pants with advice.

Ninetales

Yeah, it's more the weight limit I'm concerned with. Her height has slowed down but her weight kind of fluctuates. I could wait until she's for sure outgrown the 40lb seats but then I will probably have spent the GC on other things.

Jessica61624

I would buy one for a 2 year old. I know they can be hard to install but honestly its not always the case. I've never been unable to install mine in any vehicle. And its never been exceptionally hard either. Their seats are good quality seats. As much as I have issues with their practices I trust their seats are safe.

careynj

I always said I'd never get a radian either, but then my brother and SIL agreed that re-RFing their 22 month old was the way to go and she hates her MA RFing and I wanted narrow. So I picked up an RXT. I really love it.

jjordan

I have two Radians and trust them with my children's lives. However, I don't think I would get one if I were in your shoes. Around that age, how long will it take her to gain the last 3 pounds to her 40# limit? A few months at least? So you'll be turning her at what, 2 yrs, 7-8 months, or something like that? If your goal is 3 yrs, you're probably going to get really close without a new seat.

kalamos23

I got the radian for dd because she was 36 lbs and 36 in at 18m. She made it until a week before she turned 3 in it, and then hit 45 lbs. She has hovered at 44 to 46 lbs since then, so I think you should get it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You know you can get a Foonf for 30% off with a tech discount? But I don't know when they're actually going to be available. And you couldn't use your gift cards.

I think I would wait until she's hit the limit on her current seats. If you can tuck the gift cards away for a few months and still have them available to you then get the Radian then.

Have you searched the successful install thread for your car? I've had them in plenty of cars where they go in beautifully. One comes to mind where it was incompatible (Mitshubishi something or other).

Ninetales

Right, it has to be something I can get with my gift cards. And without the tech discount the Foonf is just out.

With the baby coming in a month I don't know if I can justify sitting on the extra money for things we need. :(

I don't know why I'm making this "now or never".

EmmaGrace'sMom

Honestly, she's 2yr 4mo and she has 3lbs left...at 2 years old 3 lbs can take a while. Unless she's been a fairly rapid gainer in the last 6 months she'll probably make it to 3, or at the very least another 4 months or so. I would probably buy other things that are needed.

cowgirlsmommy

What if you get the gift cards, sell them on eBay, then use that money to buy the Foonf with a tech discount?

I have a Radian. I bought it before the whole SuperLatch failure came around and it was considered a really good tall seat from a good company. I want to get rid of it. It works perfectly in my dh's SUV but will only work in my car if I use an angle adjuster. I will be buying a Foonf but I have a feeling I'll end up keeping the Radian just because I know it will last longer than our Britax convertibles. I really do not like seats without some kind of anti rebound.

SynEpona

Despite the fact that I prefer Radians for my kids, in my vehicles - if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get one.

I don't support businesses I don't like. Even if they have a product that might benefit me. I have no issue with Diono, but if you do, then don't buy from them! My son hovered at 37ish lbs for about a full year, maybe your DD will do the same. I'd not stress too much about it if you had to turn your child close to 3yr.

Last edited:

laurengt

I have two Radians and trust them with my children's lives. However, I don't think I would get one if I were in your shoes. Around that age, how long will it take her to gain the last 3 pounds to her 40# limit? A few months at least? So you'll be turning her at what, 2 yrs, 7-8 months, or something like that? If your goal is 3 yrs, you're probably going to get really close without a new seat.

This.

I'm in a similar deboccle. We should really have another seat for my dad's car so we are not installing/uninstalling the seats from my or DHs car so often (used to have a Safety 1st AIO but DS outgrew that RF before he was 2 yrs so we passed it to my cousin -- I also hated that seat with a passion and was happy to see it go) but I just can't justify the expense given that DS is 2 /12 yrs and only has bout 3-4" above his head in the Radians we have in our cars. I was debating what to do and, while I could scrape together funds to buy another radian or even the Foonf (with the tech discount) it just doesn't seem like a priority with him so close to outgrowing RF anyway (sure there is a chance he'll make it to 4 or 5 in the Radian but it's pretty slim). I'm planning to buy a Frontier, Prosport, or another combination seat when DS hits 3 yrs old that he can use in my dad's car and use our Radians as long as we can RF. That is my plan anyway. It's a really tough call for us mamas who want to RF as long as possible but we can't just drop $300+ and think nothing of it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would have a hard time with that decision. If it was as simple as Radian vs no Radian, I would say go for the Radian. It's not my favorite seat, yet there's almost always one installed in my car. It's narrow, it's tall, it puzzles well, it has a high RF limit.

I was TERRIFIED to install one before I got mine, I read the install threads over and over and over. Then I put it on and... It just wasn't so bad. Or bad at all, honestly. With the aa, and knowing a few tricks (like twisting the buckle stalk if necessary) it is not as difficult as its reputation. Although the belt path is a PITA... but I've learned a few tricks that make that easier as well.

I have misgivings about the company, yep. But despite all of the "horror" stories, my customer service interaction has been great. I refuse to use SL after it slipped in my car, but then again, I prefer seatbelt so it's not an issue. Aside from that, I do trust the engineering of the seat and feel that we've seen its real-world performance to back that up. If it was trust the Radian or turn my 2yo, I'd be trusting the Radian without hesitation.

That said, with the financial aspect, I'm not sure I would be as quick to do it. I think my first question for myself would be - "Will I be ok turning her, or will I find a way to get the Radian down the line despite the fact that it may be worse financially?" I know with my former nanny charge, I originally planned to turn him at 2.5 (after summer) and then 3 (outgrew MR) but just couldn't do it. My not-the-mommy gut just kept saying, "he could be safer, he could be safer." So I figured out a way to acquire a Radian... And while I could afford it, it was tight and that money could have been used elsewhere.

I know some here are fine turning at 2 or even 2.5... That experience taught me that I'm not, that I know too much, have seen too much. If you are, then I absolutely would see how long it takes her to gain those 3lbs and make a decision then. Can you wait on cashing out for the gift cards? That way it's still available to you but less "cash in hand?"

CuddlyMonsters

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get a Radian. Only because I firmly don't believe in supporting bussiness that I don't like...

What are you thoughts on maybe getting the Peg Convertible, then maybe when you are done RF until at least 3 or when your child grows out of it you can pass it down to the baby to use and ERF the baby? They have the Peg Covertible on amazon.com

I know my 3 year old still fits RF into the Peg Convertible he is 3 years, 36lbs and 37 inches in height. I even forgot to take the infant insert out, so he actually has more room than I think he does. LoL!

Ninetales

I did look at the Peg, but considering the mixed opinions I've been getting, plus the lack of AR, I don't want to get it because I'd still be paying quite a bit out of pocket.

Ninetales

Looks like my mind has been made up for me. I don't know how or what made the difference, a growth spurt (she seems to slow down for a few weeks at a time, then jump again), or scale differences, or what. But I weighed her this morning on our digital scale with a full tummy and full diaper, and she was 39.5. This was the same number I got at the chiropractor's office.

So I think I really have no choice. I just can't turn her right now. In a few months I'd have probably been ok, but at not even 2.5 yet I just can't stomach the idea. I'll be out some for the other stuff I need but that's not as important and some of it can wait anyway.

Hopefully she will slow down for real (like I keep hearing they're supposed to do! :p ) and it will last her a good long time. Even if it doesn't, though, I suppose I can sell the thing or use it for the baby down the road.

So, if it's going in a car without advanced airbags, should I bother with the angle adjuster?

mimieliza

If it makes you feel any better, I was pretty anti-Radian until I ended up getting two of them for a steal last summer. I ended up loving those seats - they are by far the best seats I have ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC