Maclaren... Volo vs. Triumph?

supercrunch

I am trying to decide between the Maclaren Volo and Triumph...does anyone have experience with both?

I have seen the volo in person several times, and I love it (mesh seat and all). It pushes like a breeze with my 3 year old, and even my 6 year old.

My 3 year old does still nap (frequently in the stroller), and sometimes I wonder if the recline feature on the triumph is worth it for us.

Does the triumph handle as well as the volo?

As far as I know the differences are...
triumph has fabric seat rather than mesh
triumph reclines
triumph is a couple pounds heavier

anything else noteworthy?

(and does BRU carry the triumph or do I need to trek down to Buy Buy Baby for a test drive?)

Thanks!!

ADS

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There are some people here who prefer the Triumph but the majority of people find the Volo to be deeper than Triumph and prefer it for older children.

amy919

I tried them both and went with the Volo. I love the mesh seat and it's so easy to puch with both my 19 month old and 4 year old. Both kids have slept in it with no trouble.

I do like the Triumph and would have purchased it if my youngest was under a year. For a bigger/older child, though, I highly recommend the Volo.

emandbri

It really depends on how much your kids sleep. A volo wouldn't work for me, just this weekend my youngest son was sleeping in my mac and he will be 4 on sat!

supercrunch

so I guess I need to figure out how to get my ds to fall asleep in the store, eh? LOL

I am leaning toward the Volo right now, but I want to be sure before I order.

supercrunch

Okay...I went and took them both for a test drive, and now I'm even more indecisive!!!

I like the look of the volo much more than the triumph...but since the volo has no back support behind the fabric, it doesn't seem to support the head as well. I had my dd sit down in it for a second and when she tried to put her head back, the fabric just scrunched up and her head fell back. (granted...she's 6 and quite tall...but my ds has a long torso and I think his head may do the same thing in a couple inches)

Has the lack of support behind the back of the head in the volo been an issue for anyone with an older child?

The seat on the triumph did seem a little more shallow than that of the volo...so the volo seemed to have a little more leg room.

geez!
This is tough decision :dizzy:

vamom

I was trying to decide which maclaren last year and maclaren recommended that I get the techno for an older child (bigger wheels/stronger frame).

I got vogue (like a techno classic). It got busted by the airline, and it seemed cheaper to replace then repair.

I was all set to get the volo (ds loves it - by the way he is 4.75, 44" 40#).

Then someone suggusted the techno xlr. It is the techno, but wider, taller, and goes to 65# (vs 55#). I found it deeply discounted on ebay and snatched it up.

Ds and I love it!!!!! It pushes like a dream, even with ds and radian in the seat!

The handles are much higher then the volo, and are adjustable. It has a double, reversable seat pad and the hood unzips to provide much more coverage. It also has suspension, multiple positions, and a rain cover.

It does weigh more then the volo, but I am thinking that it is a worth while trade off for roomier seat, better coverage, suspension, and bigger wheels.

Hope that helps!

lovemyfamily

I had a tough time deciding when I purchased my first Mac. I went with the Quest. But then I saw the Ryder in chestnut brown, my favorite color and HAD to have it. The seat is so plush, and my tall almost 6yo can even sleep in it. They do not make it anymore but you can find them FS on eBay. It has shocks and pushes like a dream, easily 1 handed with 50lbs. of kid in it.

supercrunch

We went with the volo in orange!
I ordered it last night, and I hope I love it just as much in the real world.

I did love the techno xlr, but it was 2.5x what I had to spend.

Thanks for all the help!

vamom

I loved the ryder brown too, but got the xlr so cheap (brand new in the box - got to love when the ebay karma comes around, lol) I just couldn't pass it up!!!

lovemyfamily

I loved the ryder brown too, but got the xlr so cheap (brand new in the box - got to love when the ebay karma comes around, lol) I just couldn't pass it up!!!

I got my Ryder new in the box off eBay too. Maxoty had them at one point for an AWESOME NIB price. I couldn't pass it up.
What color XLR did you get?

vamom

Yes I was watching some from maxoty too. I read some questionable stuff about maxoty at another site, and the listings had many errors/conflicting info, so I was a bit gunshy.

My xlr is just the plain carbon, but the seat pad is reversable to black, different texture to each side, and there is a soft pattern to the carbon.

I am a pretty conservative color girl, so it suits me just fine.

I really loved the ryder in chestnut though, and last years classic in burnt orange was my fav!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC