DH + EFTA = Happy but.....

StillThankful

As some of you already know....DH is in love with the EFTAs. As far as he is concerned, I should've never purchased any other car seat.:p

This makes DH happy::D

DSCN1255.jpg

But it may come to an end soon.... DD1 would have outgrown the EFTA 50 by now by weight. She currently is in the EFTA65 on its highest harness setting. How much time do you think we have left? She's 5y9m, 47", 50.2#, app 16" torso.

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1247.jpg

ADS

StillThankful

Don't know but that pic makes me happy too! Cuties.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Awww! Thanks:)

Your DDs are both adorable, but your ODD with her missing teeth? TOO CUTE!

I have a really hard time judging with the sliding harness.

:D THanks.

I just wish they would have lengthened the shell a little when redesigning the 65# version.:(

My DDs have short torsos so I can only imagine when the EFTAs are outgrown by kids with taller torsos. :question:

Kat_Momof3

She has enough time to get to age 6 at least... which means she'll be ready to go from it to a booster :D

If she gets all her new height in her legs and neck... it could be longer... if she suddenly spurts like almost 2" in JUST her torso, then she'll outgrow it, but few children (outside of my daughter) grow like that and even she wasn't doing that anymore at that age.

Going by the pictures that show where her knees are, it looks like you have a leggy girl... so just watch it and prepare to buy a booster or put the GN in there when the time comes if it isn't in a 3rd vehicle :D

StillThankful

She has enough time to get to age 6 at least... which means she'll be ready to go from it to a booster :D

If she gets all her new height in her legs and neck... it could be longer... if she suddenly spurts like almost 2" in JUST her torso, then she'll outgrow it, but few children (outside of my daughter) grow like that and even she wasn't doing that anymore at that age.

Going by the pictures that show where her knees are, it looks like you have a leggy girl... so just watch it and prepare to buy a booster or put the GN in there when the time comes if it isn't in a 3rd vehicle :D

Thanks for the info:)

I'll be sure to examine it closer around September.

I'm such a shorty--she must've gotten her short torso from me.:p

I have GN but it's not compatible in the accord outboard for some reason. The locking clip is supposed to be an inch away from the latchplate (or no more than an inch--can't remember what it says in the manual); therefore, the locking clip ends up being half way in the belt path and half way out (kind of hanging on to dear life).

I say all that to say, I'll probably swap the EFTA out with the FR85 when she turns 6 (I'm patiently waiting for the lock clip.

I am so sad she won't be able to use the EFTA anymore in a few more months:( I really love that seat.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
StillThankful said:

I have GN but it's not compatible in the accord outboard for some reason. The locking clip is supposed to be an inch away from the latchplate (or no more than an inch--can't remember what it says in the manual); therefore, the locking clip ends up being half way in the belt path and half way out (kind of hanging on to dear life).

I say all that to say, I'll probably swap the EFTA out with the FR85 when she turns 6 (I'm patiently waiting for the lock clip.

I am so sad she won't be able to use the EFTA anymore in a few more months:( I really love that seat.

Have you looked at a GNE? That lockoff would solve your problem and eliminate need for a locking clip.

tiggercat

StillThankful said:

Have you tried twisting the buckle stalk down (max 3 full twists) to move the locking clip down and out of the belt path? The LC needs to be within 1 inch of the latchplate, it can be closer as long as it isn't in direct contact with the latchplate.

Also, it looks to me like that seat is borderline outgrown. One growth spurt in the torso and she's too big, IMO.
Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

StillThankful

Have you looked at a GNE? That lockoff would solve your problem and eliminate need for a locking clip.

Yes! I want one so badly. I posted an "In Search of GNE" a while back on Car Seat Swap but didn't get anywhere. I called Graco yesterday and a rep said they discontinued the GNEs. The Argos Elite has lock offs but out of my price range.

Have you tried twisting the buckle stalk down (max 3 full twists) to move the locking clip down and out of the belt path? The LC needs to be within 1 inch of the latchplate, it can be closer as long as it isn't in direct contact with the latchplate.

Also, it looks to me like that seat is borderline outgrown. One growth spurt in the torso and she's too big, IMO.
Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Yes. I should've taken a picture of it when I had install troubles. I twisted it and everything but the seat, being low profile, just doesn't work with my car for some reason. The install in the center is a dream but then I can't have the EFTA outboard b/c it's so wide.

Please don't say it looks outgrown :tear: It appears that it's right "at" her shoulders for now. I'm going to monitor it closely from now on though.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

with all that trouble with getting a harnessed seat to fit, I'd make sure she's booster-ready maturity-wise and put a booster in there when she outgrows it (or can you install the frontier with the long beltpath?)

do your belts lock?

StillThankful

with all that trouble with getting a harnessed seat to fit, I'd make sure she's booster-ready maturity-wise and put a booster in there when she outgrows it (or can you install the frontier with the long beltpath?)

do your belts lock?

Carmen is still such a car sleeper, that I'm not ready to put her in a booster yet. I do have a Compass B540 that I can use when she is ready though:) Any reviews on that booster?

I have a BLVD70 that would work for her. With the 17" highest harness height, she'll have an 1" to go before she outgrows that.

If she is still not ready for the booster at that time, then she can use the FR85. I haven't tried the FR85 in it yet. I just received the locking clip in the mail today so i guess I'll look into it tomorrow to see how it goes. I'm not looking forward to installing the BEAST!

No. My seatbelts don't lock--only on emergencies. :thumbsdown: I have a 1994 Honda Accord.

Kat_Momof3

I know this is stupid, but did you check pulling them all the way out and letting them retract slowly?

did you check that they don't lock at the latchplate?

do you have the manual for the car?

not sure about the compass booster, but for car sleepers, the Recaro Vivo and Diono (well, I had the SK one) Monterey ROCK... the vivo does not have a deep seat, so not my first pick for a leggy kid, but you can always give her a light footstool.

For a car sleeper, though, since you have the Frontier, I'd use it for her.
I asked about long path cause I'm wondering if it might just use up ALL the seatbelt and then you wouldn't have to use the locking clip :D

StillThankful

I know this is stupid, but did you check pulling them all the way out and letting them retract slowly?

did you check that they don't lock at the latchplate?

do you have the manual for the car?

Yes:) I think the year after (maybe 95 or 96) is when the belts started locking automatically.

.... but you can always give her a light footstool.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

For a car sleeper, though, since you have the Frontier, I'd use it for her.
I asked about long path cause I'm wondering if it might just use up ALL the seatbelt and then you wouldn't have to use the locking clip :D

Very good point Kat! DH left the accord to let me play with the seats. I'll see what works a little later on today. As you know, it's killer heat today! I'm going to try the FR85 w/ the locking clip (uuggghhhhh) and the BLVD70. If I'm up to it, I'll retry the GN and take pics of my install problems using the locking clip--I've previously tried twisting the stalk and it still just doesn't help.

If all else fails, I'll get your address and we'll work as a team! LOL:p

StillThankful

Update: It was me versus the sweltering heat and the BEAST! WIth God's help (literally, I prayed), I was victorious!:)

Installation: Long belt path--Thanks Kat! I wouldn't have thought to install it this way AND I didn't have to use the locking clip like you speculated!:D:D:D

It was a beast to install. It really was! The belt seemed to be too short but after applying pressure to the seat and pushing the seat back I was able to fasten the buckle.

Here are the pics: Bye, Bye EFTA:(
Hello FR85:

DSCN1266 by StillThankful, on Flickr

DSCN1267 by StillThankful, on Flickr

Something funky with the belt: Is this okay?

DSCN1264 by StillThankful, on Flickr

DSCN1263 by StillThankful, on Flickr

Ready to drive now?

DSCN1265 by StillThankful, on Flickr

Brianna

I love seeing a girl rocking a blue car seat! I'm glad you were able to get it in with the LBP no LC :) The belt scrunching is okay and it looks like she might still need a booster if she wants to drive ;)

Kat_Momof3

bunching happens sometimes... you try to avoid it cause it looks like it is wrong and it doesn't look pretty, but it's fine.

YAY for me being right! it happens sometimes! lol.

And seriously, if necessary, I would have totally met up with you and helped ya... I wondered about the long path working only because I VAGUELY remembered it being done with the Britax Husky (not even the Regent, that's how far back I'm going) for people with small cars like that back when I was always on the babycenter board.

I'm so glad it worked! Now she can sleep all she wants!

BTW - I LOVE her braids!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC