Vent late night walmart run

a09

So we have been visiting friends out of town for a few weeks and in our time here we have seen a forward facing infant seat (standing nearly upright) and tonight we went on a pedialyte run and checked out right behind a guy purchasing a nautilus and two cases of beer with his super cute eight month old son in the cart.we checked out and found him parked about two spots away opening the box of the nautilus and sat it in the truck rear facing in the backseat. We just sat in the car for a few minutes and watched while pretending to organize our purchases. My friend whom i love for her lack of shyness shouts out thats a different set up. The guy proudly announces he did it with his daughter and it saved him a bundle. She told him it wasnt really safe and so on. It never went anywhere productive as he repeated about ten times that it was rock solid and not going anywhere. We didnt even think about it until after we left but there was no other car seat in the truck so we dont know how he was restrained on the way there. She got his license plate umber and is going to call a police number tomorrow that will send him info on the car seat laws and safety tips. What is so stupid was that he could buy an infant bucket for the cost of his cases of beer! Priorities?

ADS

hrice

Instead of your friend shouting something insulting it would have been more productive to offer help. Or tell him he could save $100 and just get a Scenera.

a09

She wasnt insulting about it at all. She was just conversing with him in the same tone (kind of inquiring) they were joking around in while playing with the little boy in the checkout line. She did walk over after saying it (kind of said it to get his attention) and did offer to help but he was convinced it was fine because he did it with his daughter. She figured the only other thing to do would be call this number that mails pamphlets to families trying to spread car seat safety information.

canadiangie

I'm convinced Graco's decision to market the Nauti as a 3-in-1 seat really confuses a lot of parents. Why am I thinking this dad had a 3-in-1 seat with his daughter, and it 'saved him a lot of money', and he's thinking the Nauti is the same kind of deal.

People love 3-in-1 anything. 3-in-1 jackets, 3-in-1 tricycles. You slap the phrase 3-in-1 on an item and you got yourself a sale.

a09

And in a situation where someone is putting an infant in a nautilus no matter what you say are you better off to show him how to properly install it forward facing? I know it isnt safe either way but really what is safer rfing nauti or properly installed ffing nauti

a09

canadiangie said:
I'm convinced Graco's decision to market the Nauti as a 3-in-1 seat really confuses a lot of parents. Why am I thinking this dad had a 3-in-1 seat with his daughter, and it 'saved him a lot of money', and he's thinking the Nauti is the same kind of deal.

People love 3-in-1 anything. 3-in-1 jackets, 3-in-1 tricycles. You slap the phrase 3-in-1 on an item and you got yourself a sale.

I agree! People love a good bargain. I also hate when they say "the only__ you will ever need"

canadiangie

Well, you are better off not approaching strangers in parking lots.

The baby in question is not safe in a Nautilus, period.

And in a situation where someone is putting an infant in a nautilus no matter what you say are you better off to show him how to properly install it forward facing? I know it isnt safe either way but really what is safer rfing nauti or properly installed ffing nauti

a09

canadiangie said:
Well, you are better off not approaching strangers in parking lots.

The baby in question is not safe in a Nautilus, period.

Good point.

Poor kiddo. I hope they had a safe drive home. Maybe he will at least think about what she said. Can hope right?

Joyofbirth

I had an acquaintance at church tell me recently that they were going to get a nauti for their 4 month old. I explained that it didn't rear-face and braced myself for the response. She said she wanted to rf til 2 because that's what she was told she is supposed to do. She said she was glad I told her because she would have been upset if she had bought out. I showed her my true fit and how my girls fit in it and she liked it and got one. That stupid 3in1 confuses a lot of people. I think its because to most people a booster is a booster. It would be like telling them a hbtb is a 2in1. It is, but I don't think a lot of people would get it.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I could never understand how anyone could even install a Nauti RF until I got one. I did it just playing around and not only was it super easy but I got a rock solid install the first time. I was really kinda bummed because its so tall, it would've been awesome if it did RF.

I really do think the 3n1 throws people off. I wish that all manufacturers would stop using that term.

Amartin100503

I realize I'm not a CPS Tech, but thought I'd give my opinion.

My parents wanted to buy an additional Nautilus for their car because it said 3-in-1 like the AlphaOmega Elite and figured Graco was better than Saftey 1st. I had to explain that it does not RF like the AOE which also claims 3-in-1.

It is confusing, but at the same time. People need to read the specifications of what the seat does or doesn't do. I never assume I know that a seat can RF unless I specifically read that it does.

Baylor

Amartin100503 said:
I realize I'm not a CPS Tech, but thought I'd give my opinion.

My parents wanted to buy an additional Nautilus for their car because it said 3-in-1 like the AlphaOmega Elite and figured Graco was better than Saftey 1st. I had to explain that it does not RF like the AOE which also claims 3-in-1.

It is confusing, but at the same time. People need to read the specifications of what the seat does or doesn't do. I never assume I know that a seat can RF unless I specifically read that it does.

Just cause you aren't a tech doesn't mean you don't have something awesome to add!!
Glad you posted. I agree. It is confusing for many who don't really care about car safety but are still trying to choose correctly for their kids.

auto correct hates me

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Not to mention that the Nauti is one of the most popular seats for the average joe to recommend it seems like (I feel like it took the place of the original Evenflo Triumph in that regard - 4-5 years ago it seemed like EVERYbody was recommending them, I think because of Consumer Reports). Soon enough the Nautilus is going to get its very own bubble, I swear.

rosey2007

Just my opinion, but why can't Graco clearly mark on the box that the seat is only for forward facing in huge letters.

a09

rosey2007 said:
Just my opinion, but why can't Graco clearly mark on the box that the seat is only for forward facing in huge letters.

This is brilliant! Put it in huge print on the front of the box.

arly1983

Not only that but any advise given by a stranger at walmart is going to be suspect.

I had Seth in a properly used and adjusted beco butterfly 2 at walmart and this lady just insisted that it was the most dangerous thing she had ever seen BECAUSE he was going to choke on my hair (which was in a short pony tail btw). She kept saying that all carriers were recalled because several babies had died. I am VERY educated on BWing and know its dangers and I know anything is possible but that was a total fabrication.

THink about how many crazy people you see in walmart and think about if you would take their advise on any subject.

If anything I would carry pamplets put out by an organization that most parents recognize and just pass that out with a friendly, short explaination and hope that you get them thinking. Even then, most people are not going to pay attention.

Brianna

I was just reviewing seats with a friend and explaining the pros/cons of each and Walmart had the Nautilus in the convertible section on their website. :doh: that's the one she wanted for her 10 month old until I told her it was FF only :rolleyes:

whiteyacht

I was just reviewing seats with a friend and explaining the pros/cons of each and Walmart had the Nautilus in the convertible section on their website. :doh: that's the one she wanted for her 10 month old until I told her it was FF only :rolleyes:

BRU, in store, on the shelf tag, calls it a convertible!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC