Booster training?? Road trip this weekend

mamato2ls

My 5 year old son (he'll be 6 in Sept), has gone through a growth spurt, and I realized he's between 64 and 65 lbs. Right at the max in in nautilus. We have a 10-12 hour road trip this weekend, and I don't know what to do. Do I keep him in his harness for the trip, or go ahead and put him in a booster? It looks like I'll be buying a new car seat before then. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a nautilus again, keep in the harness for the trip, then booster him afterwards. Or should I just buy a booster? Any opinions on the Graco turbobooster with safety surround would be great. Any seat recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm confused. Why not use his Nautilus as a booster?

At his age he should be fine just putting him in a booster.

Wendy

mamato2ls

A year ago, a deer hit our van, and I never knew to replace the seats. I think I'm going to play it safe, and replace before we head out.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Not to mention, why would you buy another Nauti if you can't use the harness feature? Just buy a HBB unless he is not ready for a booster...and in that case, your best option (and maybe only?) would probably be a FR85.

Edited to say: Duh, you don't need to buy a HBB unless you are needing the Nauti for another child...just convert it to a HBB.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
OK in reading your other thread, you hit a deer a year ago and are now finding out you should replace your seats. At 64/65lbs, no, I would not buy another Nauti. I would either get a FR85 or a HBB. And at his age/size, I would probably get a HBB, unless you don't think he's ready for one.

mamato2ls

I wold prefer to keep him harnessed until 85lbs, but the checkbook isn't allowing it. I was looking at the Graco Turbobooster with Safety Surround for him.

mamato2ls

Like I said already, I was looking into the Graco Turbobooster with Safety Surround. Now I'm looking at the Britax Parkway SGL. What would you all recommend?

SynEpona

Either is fine. Whichever he finds more comfortable.

Wendy

For us, we'd choose the SGL, but the *only* reason it was in the lead was because I wanted to secure it with the Latch/UAS clips so I didn't need to be the one to remember to belt it in when it was empty! That feature alone was worth any extra cost. If you don't have LATCH in the seating position it'd be in, then it doesn't matter, but if you do, it's worth considering.

VoodooChile

We have the Turbo with Safety Surround for dd in dh's car, and she says it's comfortable. I believe lots of Targets have gotten it in by now, so it should be pretty easy to check out in person.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC