RXT RF ....Tethered!!??!!??

Rostafoya

RXT RF ....Tethered!!??!!?? UPDATED w/ PICS

Got my 2 RXT's yesterday. Picked them up at Safety Superstore in Mississauga bc they offer free install. Both are rear facing, 1 behind the driver and 1 behind the passenger, for my 10 month old girls in Honda Odyssey.

Anyway, the guy installing them just didn't seem very familiar with the RXT itself. You know when you "just have a feeling"? He finishes the 2nd seat and I noticed in addition to using the UAS (Latch) the 1st seat has also been tethered to the underside of the actual captains chair. He has the tether tied to a bar on the underside of the chair, just behind the adjuster bar you use to move the seat forward and back.

He hadn't done the other one so I questioned why 1 and not the other and he said he couldn't get that seat quite as tight for some reason so he needed to tether it. Another installer came out to check the installations and he told him he had tethered the one and why. The guy said that was fine. After that he offered to tether the 2nd one if it made me feel better. I said OK...what do I know?

Then I had an independent installer adamantly tell me you never, ever tether a RF seat. I had called to inquire about pricing BEFORE I found out about the free install at SS. He has offered to inspect my seats for free and suggested I remove the tether as the LATCH is already done. Said to try and wiggle he seats from side to side and they should not budge but the should have some give up and down. This gentleman is a fire fighter and a grandfather, and seemed very knowledgeable and helpful when we spoke.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
ADS

Jessica61624

Only a few brands allow rf tethering. Diono is one of them. How ever the seat not being as tight isn't a reason to tether one and not the other. If possible both should be tethered, how ever it is optional.

I hope that he taught you how to install the seats as well. A good tech teaches and has the parents do the final install. You never know when you might break down and need to move their seats.

amyd

Oh gosh...I'm sorry you got bad and conflicting info. The installer was incorrect. You don't tether to the same seat that the child restraint is installed on. If you want to tether the seats, you need to use the d-ring provided to create an anchor point under the front seats. The RXT manual shows you how to do this. The paramedic was wrong as well. RFing tethering is allowed by Diono and Britax, but no other manufacturer. Likely this gentleman was simply unfamiliar with these higher end seats. As well, RFing tethering is/has been typically not encouraged in the Canadian tech curriculum so if he was trained at some point, he may just be telling you what he was taught. Please let us know if you have any other questions and feel free to post pictures of your install if you like. As well, there may be a tech in your area who is familiar with the RXT and can take another look if you'd like. Just let us know!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
You cannot use a RF tether to correct a bad install.... I think you need to meet with another tech that can help you verify that they are properly installed and educate you on your seats and how to install them (every parent needs to know this info!)

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Got my 2 RXT's yesterday. Picked them up at Safety Superstore in Mississauga bc they offer free install. Both are rear facing, 1 behind the driver and 1 behind the passenger, for my 10 month old girls in Honda Odyssey.

Anyway, the guy installing them just didn't seem very familiar with the RXT itself. You know when you "just have a feeling"? He finishes the 2nd seat and I noticed in addition to using the UAS (Latch) the 1st seat has also been tethered to the underside of the actual captains chair. He has the tether tied to a bar on the underside of the chair, just behind the adjuster bar you use to move the seat forward and back.

Bolding mine. What do you mean by "tied"? This video shows the D-ring and how to *actually* rear-face tether. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'tie" - I'm picturing some sort of knot and that makes me really, REALLY nervous.

Like PP said, Diono allows RF tethering that is optional - if you want to, go ahead, provided you do so correctly.

Just realized I forgot to add the video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM"]Installing a Rear-Facing Tether Connector Strap (D-Ring) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Rostafoya

Re: RXT RF ....Tethered!!??!!?? UPDATED w/ Pics

Here are some pics. I am in Oakville, Ontario. Def going to have this looked at. Just seems like different installers have different opinions. Gaaahhh....this should be much simpler for parents. Not many are as diligent as my hubby and I are about safety!

Seat 1 with Tether, hard to see but tether strap is looped around bar:

2012 06 26_4347.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Seats:

2012 06 26_4344.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Seat 1 (tether already removed):

2012 06 26_4352.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Seat 2:

2012 06 26_4346.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Seat 1 base:

2012 06 26_4348.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Seat 2 base:

2012 06 26_4350.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Tether Straps-should they dangle like this?

2012 06 26_4349.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

Rostafoya

Bolding mine. What do you mean by "tied"? This video shows the D-ring and how to *actually* rear-face tether. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'tie" - I'm picturing some sort of knot and that makes me really, REALLY nervous.

Like PP said, Diono allows RF tethering that is optional - if you want to, go ahead, provided you do so correctly.

Can you attach the link to the video? Thanks!

emtb79

Well, there ya go:). Is that in the manual or from somewhere else?

It's not a adjustment bar I don't think there is the bar attacheed to the floor that the seat slides side to side on. Are you vehicle seats all the way back. It looks like if the tether was attached it might push on the adjuster handle.

amyd

emtb79 said:
It's not a adjustment bar I don't think there is the bar attacheed to the floor that the seat slides side to side on. Are you vehicle seats all the way back. It looks like if the tether was attached it might push on the adjuster handle.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Even though it's permitted to the same seat, I'd probably try to use the leg of the front seat instead (well, I wouldn't actually because I don't RF tether, but if I did, that is what I would do).

Rostafoya

I found this video which shows RF tethering....to the front seat....not to the base of the seat the child seat is installed on.

And yes emtb79 the tether is putting pressure on the adjustment bar that slides the seat forward and back. I have removed that tether. And will have someone in my area double check this install and make sure the angle is correct.

http://youtu.be/6-KxRZ9bfas

Jessica61624

Rostafoya said:
I found this video which shows RF tethering....to the front seat....not to the base of the seat the child seat is installed on.

And yes emtb79 the tether is putting pressure on the adjustment bar that slides the seat forward and back. I have removed that tether. And will have someone in my area double check this install and make sure the angle is correct.

http://youtu.be/6-KxRZ9bfas

Make sure you store the top tether properly.

Rostafoya

How do I store it exactly? I was wondering that myself. There is a black canvas tab/loop on the side at the top of the seat, you can see it in this picture-is that where I hook the tether? I've re-read the manual and maybe I am missing this but I don't see instructions on how to store the tether.

Then what do I do with the extra long strap? Just let it hang down?

2012 06 26_4349.JPG by Rostafoya2012, on Flickr

tiggercat

If you are not going to use the tether, there is a storage spot at the top of the shell.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Re: RXT RF ....Tethered!!??!!?? UPDATED w/ Pics

Tether Straps-should they dangle like this?

2012 06 26_4349.JPG

NO. check your Radian manual.

I can tell by this thread that you haven't sat down and read the manual cover to cover yet. I would suggest you do that - it will help you to make sense of our answers and also what the techs told you.

The tether that is attached looks fine to me. The Diono manual doesn't specify where the top tether should attach, but when asked they have said you can do it to the underside of the same seat the Radian is installed on. The only concern I have with the tethered seat is that it was used to correct a sloppy install. I would suggest fixing the install and then reattaching the tether.

Also double-check that it's anchored to a non-movable location, not just any random bar on the under side of the vehicle seat.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Diono say to keep the headwings *all* the way up until you move the harness straps to the third slot? I can't see which slot they are on in the pics.

amyd

happiness-and-balance said:
Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Diono say to keep the headwings *all* the way up until you move the harness straps to the third slot? I can't see which slot they are on in the pics.

Yes, this is correct.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC