Regent in Kia Sedona

tchrgrrl

DH is trying to get DS1's Regent installed with the new rules (SBP and RB) in the captain's seat of our 2006 Kia Sedona with little luck. The angle that the seat belt ends up at makes it impossible to get a tight install. DH is hot and crabby and we now have no seat installed for our oldest. I have been searching and scanning through other threads about this but I am feeling overwhelmed. *help*

Other info:
DS is 4.5 yo, 47.5 lbs
Regent was manufactured in Nov. 06 (maybe December)
TT point in the Sedona is on the back of the captain's chair

What are our options? What is the best alternative to following the new guidelines?

Can we:
use the LBP? w/ or w/o the RB?
SBP without RB?
DH wanted to use a locking clip but I told him I didn't think that was ok - is it? If it isn't can anyone tell me why so I can tell him I am right? ;)

ADS

TxMomma

I'm pretty sure since it was made in 06 that you can still use the old install methods. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We have an 05 Sedona and I was able to get an acceptable install SBP/recline bar. It was a pain but I did it.

Your seatbelts are ALR so there's really no need to use a locking clip. If you do decide to use the locking clip do not lock the seatbelt.

tchrgrrl

Thanks - are your Regents installed in the captain's seats or in the 3rd row? Actually I think that the 2005 Sedona is a different model than the 2006. :(

What about the wording on pages 12-13 of the new manual...
"Short route LATCH installation must be used for children 40-80lbs." (pg 12) and then "WARNING! Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors) for installations with children weighing more than 48 pounds." (pg 13). Aren't those two things pretty contradicting? :confused: :confused:

TxMomma

Thanks - are your Regents installed in the captain's seats or in the 3rd row? Actually I think that the 2005 Sedona is a different model than the 2006. :(

What about the wording on pages 12-13 of the new manual...
"Short route LATCH installation must be used for children 40-80lbs." (pg 12) and then "WARNING! Use vehicle belt (not LATCH connectors) for installations with children weighing more than 48 pounds." (pg 13). Aren't those two things pretty contradicting? :confused: :confused:

they are installed in the 3rd row.

It is confusing but it means you can use the short latch path to the limits of your anchors-which is 48lbs after that you must use the SBP until the child outgrows the seat. They really could have worded it a lot better.

tchrgrrl

they are installed in the 3rd row.

It is confusing but it means you can use the short latch path to the limits of your anchors-which is 48lbs after that you must use the SBP until the child outgrows the seat. They really could have worded it a lot better.
They definitely need better wording, like not including the -80 part. :thumbsdown:

tchrgrrl

I just found the following on the Britax site... http://www.britaxusa.net/support/documents/REG_ConsumerAdvisory_QA2.pdf

The instruction manual for LATCH installation, short route for children weighing 40-80 lbs.
(page 12) indicates LATCH is acceptable above the standard 40/48 lb. limit of vehicle
LATCH anchor capacity. Is this true?
Britax product can be installed with LATCH up to the maximum capacity of the restraint
provided the LATCH anchor capacity stated in the vehicle owner’s manual meets or
exceeds the child’s weight.
EXAMPLE: Vehicle owner’s manual states LATCH anchor capacity is 60 lbs. The Britax
Regent youth child seat can be used with LATCH up to 60 lbs. in that vehicle. From 60-
80 lbs. the vehicle seat belt system would need to be used.

Please also note the WARNING on the page 13 directing reference to the vehicle owner’s
manual for maximum weight rating for their lower anchors.

Do I have to use the recline bar? It did not use to be mandatory. I no longer have mine. What
do I do?
Yes, installation using the recline bar is required in all modes of installation (long or short
route, lap, lap-shoulder or LATCH) regardless of the child’s weight and regardless if it is
tethered or not.

So from that information it sounds like we can use the short path LATCH install with the recline bar and TT. Since KIA doesn't have a LATCH limit we should be able to use LATCH for the life of the seat, right? Can someone let me know if I am misunderstanding something?

tchrgrrl

I am getting further frustrated. Kia is not listed on the Saferide News LATCH list. So vehicles that aren't listed defer to the manufacturer of the carseat. So defer to the Regent manual (great, since that is oh, so clear) and to the Q&A for the Regent Update. So does that mean that we can't use LATCH over 48 pounds or that we can use it because now the update says it is ok to use LATCH to 80lbs with the Regent as long as the vehicle manufacturer doesn't say it is not ok? :confused: If we had a different seat that specifically said use with LATCH ok until 60 pounds - we could use it in the Kia. OR if we had a different vehicle that said the LATCH limit is 60 pounds - we could do it. But both manufacturers defer to each other.

And we have no time left. I thought maybe we could reinstall with LATCH for a bit since he has been going up/down between 46.5-47.5 pounds for months but this afternoon he was 48.2. Ack.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Has he reclined the auto seat, installed the seat as well and tight as he can then push the auto seat back as upright as possible?

tchrgrrl

Has he reclined the auto seat, installed the seat as well and tight as he can then push the auto seat back as upright as possible?
Yes, he tried that with the short belt path and it still didn't work. The seat is now installed with the seatbelt through the LBP, RB and TT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC