10 yr old booster traveling to Canada

stacytr

My 10 yr old son is 56 pounds and tall -- but ALL legs! He's still in a hbb -- evenflo AMP in DH's car and Graco Air ride (great for his long legs) in my car. I also bought a Harmony Cruz from Target to begin nbb booster use. I know -- it's a little weird to have a 10 yr old still in a highback -- but he's severely ADHD and has sensory issues and the high back really helps remind him to sit properly. Even at his age, when he's reading I still have to sometimes remind him to sit up and not bend over to read his book. :rolleyes:

We were planning on just bringing the nbb with us when we travel to Canada in July. But now DH tell me that instead of staying in Calgary near the airport when we get in at 11:00 at night, he wants to drive another hour-and-a-half to our final destination (family reunion). While I'm fairly confident that we can work with DS to sit properly in a nbb in the daytime -- I am really nervous about having him do that for a late night drive when I'm worried/hoping he'll sleep.

DH wants the nbb for ease of travel. I just want DS to be the safest he can be.
What would you do/advise?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
ADS

stacytr

Talking to DH tonight -- he also says he wants to gate-check our Nautilus for DD (5.5 yrs old, 36 pounds). I'm in the process of researching posts on that, but if anyone has any good links here on this board or other places why gate checking is a bad idea, I'd love to hear them :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How about a Ride Safer Travel Vest?

I thought this post was going to be about how to get an expired seat to Canada alone. hehe

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmJr1a-BHU&feature=player_embedded"]Mistreating luggage - YouTube[/ame]

That's why I wouldn't gate check a seat.

How about a second Ride Safer Travel Vest for her? Or an Evenflo Maestro?

Wendy

stacytr

How about a Ride Safer Travel Vest?

I thought this post was going to be about how to get an expired seat to Canada alone. hehe

Wendy
LOL -- I changed the title a little to hopefully make it more clear! :)
Wow -- that vest is expensive! Is it highly recommended? What do people think of it compared to a regular booster? I think I'd rather just take his whole booster than spend another $130! I saw the reviews and I know it would be a problem for Em if she couldn't see out of the car window. Thanks for that video -- I'll show it to DH.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's a wearable five point harness or booster (depending on if you use the crotch strap) and it works remarkably well. It's a great seat for travel, since it can fold into a bag. We used to travel with one, and I expect to again when Laine is of the age and size for one (age soon, weight will be years).

The issue with gate checking is how many times is it dropped/thrown/are you sure? And then how does it slam around in the hold? Do each of those count as a crash? You don't know. Are you willing to risk your daughter's life and have her be a crash test dummy to find out exactly how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Nautilus? Or just deal with the slight inconvenience of putting it on the plane (you're already taking it to the gate! May as well).

We've also had gate checked luggage left behind, and for some reason, it tends to go to the baggage carousel more often than not for us at the end of the flight. So in that way it's just been regularly checked, in reverse.

Wendy

cantabdad

If the real issue is daytime vs. nighttime -- i.e. that a NBB would be just fine during that day but you have concerns about proper positioning if your son falls asleep -- it sounds like a reasonable compromise would be to bring a NBB but stay overnight near the airport on arrival.

Honestly, if your flight arrives around 11 PM -- and that's assuming that it does arrive on time -- it will easily be almost midnight by the time you all get off the plane, go through immigration, collect your bags off the belt, etc. Do you really want to then go over to the rental car agency, do their paperwork, load up the car, and THEN drive another hour and half? Some people function better than others in the wee hours of the morning, but it seems like you will make life easier for everyone if you stay over and then start your drive in the morning.

I'm not familiar with the Graco Nautilus, but it sounds like you should just bring it and install it on the aircraft. FAA's recommendation is to use a carseat for kids under 40 lbs. (In a pinch, your daughter might be old enough and close enough to 40 lbs. to just use the lap belt, but since you need to bring the carseat anyway for your drive, why not just bring it onboard? It will be more familiar and comfortable for her.) And as Wendytthomas noted, there's not much advantage to gate-checking since you've already hauled it 99% of the way to your seats... even aside from the issue of possible damage.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If you're renting a car in Calgary, then you will be driving a car with Canadian (Alberta) plates. And technically you need to have Canadian seats in a car registered in Canada. Will anyone notice? Not likely in a Nautilus. But we don't have travel vests here, and that is something that some may notice, and would be ticketable. We also don't (yet) have the Cruz here either, but there are a fair number of traffic stops in the Calgary/Edmonton area where the people checking would notice that. I have no idea if they'd give you a break being visitors, but just do be aware of that potential.

And another vote for just taking the Nautilus on the plane. Bungee it to a folding rolling luggage cart (Walmart $18) and you're good to go.

bubbaray

My thoughts exactly. I think a vest would definitely be noticed here and more likely to get ticketed than a booster we don't have.

stacytr

If you're renting a car in Calgary, then you will be driving a car with Canadian (Alberta) plates. And technically you need to have Canadian seats in a car registered in Canada. Will anyone notice? Not likely in a Nautilus. But we don't have travel vests here, and that is something that some may notice, and would be ticketable. We also don't (yet) have the Cruz here either, but there are a fair number of traffic stops in the Calgary/Edmonton area where the people checking would notice that. I have no idea if they'd give you a break being visitors, but just do be aware of that potential.

And another vote for just taking the Nautilus on the plane. Bungee it to a folding rolling luggage cart (Walmart $18) and you're good to go.

Good to know about the vest -- we weren't ready to spend more money anyway on gear. I had no idea about the car seats needing to be Canadian! So is the Nautilus sold in Canada? Should I try and talk my son into taking just the bottom of his Evenflo Amp instead? We tried him in the base of his Graco air booster, his Amp, and the Cruz and he said he liked the Cruz the best.

And DH booked us in a hotel for the night -- yea! More money -- but I was not looking forward to that drive with all of us being tired and probably cranky.

One more question -- the Nautilus does fit on a plane right?

Thanks so much.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Nautilus fits, and I've never been hassled about my seats in Canada (or any country, for that matter). We drive up fairly often. We cross the border with a customs official staring into the car. No biggie on the seats. I don't know the law, if it's illegal for visitors, but they really don't care. If you were moving there I would tell you to get Canadian seats once you're settled in, but not as a visitor.

Yes, the Nautilus is sold in Canada.

Wendy

Pixelated

You know what - I think you're ok with whatever you bring! I just attempted to read Alberta occupant restraint laws, and in a vehicle rented for 14 days or less you should be fine, as long as the kids are properly restrained. I can't keep all of the provinces straight, they all have different rules. Enjoy your trip!

stacytr

You know what - I think you're ok with whatever you bring! I just attempted to read Alberta occupant restraint laws, and in a vehicle rented for 14 days or less you should be fine, as long as the kids are properly restrained. I can't keep all of the provinces straight, they all have different rules. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks so much to you and Wendy! I'm glad that this forum is here to help us navigate safely with our kids :)

flipper68

Senior Community Member

The latest Safe Ride News says otherwise. It says American tourists are allowed to use US seats - even in a rental vehicle, although it does add that each province sets a maximum amount of time to do so.

It cited Transport Canada, but the reference gives a error message: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-index-53.htm

Last edited:

Pixelated

Typically an American tourist can drive across the border in a vehicle with US plates and be fine using US seats for a set amount of time (varies by province). I would not assume that to be the case in a vehicle with Canadian plates, unless the provincial specifically stated otherwise.

Alberta law states

Exempt vehicles: 82(1) does not apply to:
Taxis
Emergency vehicles
Vehicles rented or leased for less than 14 consecutive days

And British Columbia doesn't set a time limit so far as I can tell:

36.09 This Division does not apply to the driver or operator

(a) of a motor vehicle licensed in a jurisdiction outside Canada if the driver or operator is using an infant or child restraint system, booster seat or seat belt assembly in compliance with the laws of that jurisdiction,

And Ontario provides an exemption only for boosters, with that time limit set to expire in two years:

The following are exempt:

The driver of a motor vehicle that is registered in another jurisdiction and is in Ontario for 30 days or less is exempt from using booster seats until May 31, 2014.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC