Question Not sure where to post PEG RFing height

a09

Not sure where to post this but after reading a Peg convertible review I just noticed that the top three headrest positions can ONLY be used FFing. I cannot find this in my manual anywhere. Is this true? We bought it for the height but dang that will ruin it for us. I just measured and the Pria would give us 3 more RFing inches over the Peg.

ADS

atw

Really? I am no help, but thought when I read the blog review, even considering that it's still right in RN range? I know I've seen it here before...let me find it

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

a09

Darn darn darn. My kids are all torso and i am seriously measuring more torso room in the pria so I guess our best bet is to return the peg for another pria and after all that install drama. I am actually a little uncomfortable with it considering how bad the manual is. How am i supposed to know how to use it correctly? Buybuybaby here is advertising it as you can rear face within an inch of the headrest to. I wonder how many are being used that way right now?

aporthole

But torso doesn't matter as much as total seating height RFing. Peg's top 3 positions are FFing only, but even at the 7th (top RFing) position the seating height is 24", the Radian's is 25".

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I measured 24.5" on the highest allowed spot for RF. Peg allows to 1" from the top of the headrest in that setting. The Radian has 25", and allows 1.5" from the top. That works out to (in theory- of course kids sit differently in different seats in different cars) about the same workable RF height. I am sure not ALL kids will make it to 45 lbs. RF, but many will, or at least past 40 lbs. RF with that allowable RF height.

thekatie

I'm jumping in with no helpful information, but a question about the Pria, since you keep saying it has more room. And I guess a question about the 25" reference to the Radian.

I'm *assuming* that 25" in the Radian means there is 25" from the bottom of the seat to the highest harness slot? Or IS that 25" to the shell?

Because I have a Pria (and have never had trouble installing it?), and when a lady asked how tall the shell was when fully extended, I measured either 24 or 25", but that was to the top of the shell, not to the top of the harness (and I specified that to her, since that was what she asked). I don't know exactly how high up the top harness slots are.

So I was just wondering how long you think the Pria would last rear-facing? And I'm probably asking it poorly... Sorry!

*edit* I mean how tall the headrest is extended, not shell. Haven't had enough coffee this morning!

a09

Im talking total allowable rfing torso height. Pria allows to the top of the headrest or 40 inches. My kids have very long torsos and 25 inches of usable torso space is what is most important to us. Weight doesnt matter as much in our situation and neither does the childs standing height. And in this sense the pria has more room.

And the install trouble was ffing peg not pria with the seatbelt which is now resolved. I am however returning the peg due to poor manual and am afraid someone will use it incorrectly since the manual is horrible and because she will have another two inches (in my car) rfing torso room in her pria.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The manual is probably the worst one I've ever read. That's a tough call between it and the RSTV, but I think because of the sheer bulk and the importance of the omissions the Peg "wins" on that.

gigi

a09 said:
Im talking total allowable rfing torso height. Pria allows to the top of the headrest or 40 inches. My kids have very long torsos and 25 inches of usable torso space is what is most important to us. Weight doesnt matter as much in our situation and neither does the childs standing height. And in this sense the pria has more room.

And the install trouble was ffing peg not pria with the seatbelt which is now resolved. I am however returning the peg due to poor manual and am afraid someone will use it incorrectly since the manual is horrible and because she will have another two inches (in my car) rfing torso room in her pria.

Your Pria manual prohibits RF use after child reaches 40" standing height and the manufacturer has never indicated it is okay to disobey this rule. Many here would make the parental choice to do disobey, many would not. Just wanted to let you know.

Last edited:

a09

I am aware of that but my girls are so long torsoed they may outgrow the seat entirely before they even reach 40 inches. If not we may consider going past the 40 inch rule but I dont expect that to even be an option for our long torso kids.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You might look at the Size4Me then. It too has the 40" rule but is mega-tall so I can't imagine ANY child outgrowing it by anything other than standing height. (My average-torsoed nanny charges are 40 & 44 inches and on the 4th and 5th headrest adjustment... There are 8.)

a09

Carrie_r. I wanted to look at the size4me but we havent found anywhere to play with one yet. My thoughts were that it should be local soon and the prias (yes we returned the peg) could both go to grandmas car and then hopefully we could put them in the new gracos in our car and rf a little longer. I have heard graco is reconsidering their 40 inch rule. Does anyone know if this is true?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I haven't heard but would LOVE it if they were. BBB here in Columbus has the Graco if you're ever up this way... (IIRC where you live lol)

MomToEliEm

I have heard graco is reconsidering their 40 inch rule. Does anyone know if this is true?

The only place I heard about them reconsidering it was on the carseatblog (http://carseatblog.com/17742/lifesavers-conference-2012-wrap-up/)
Graco: They’re going back and looking at the Size4Me 40” rear-facing height maximum. No promises of any changes but they’re talking internally about what the concerns are and what the other options might be. We promise to keep you posted if we hear of any changes.

I sure hope they don't take too long to figure it out. If they do keep the 40" limit, I hope they edit the manual to make it more clear instead of hiding it on a page way back in the manual.

a09

We will be back in Oh on the 6th we will have to go play at Bbb.

And i heard it from the car seat salesman at Bbb in mason Oh. Lets hope they do away w the 40 inch rule.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC